• Keep Avo to play next to Burton

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Release him for Cheese

Votes: 78 76.5%

• Total voters

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This deal (and any other) needs to be done without giving up our best juniors. Especially those under contract.
What kind of message do we want to send to our juniors. It’s just not on - get it done another way or walk away from the deal.

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing holding Avo back is that he is in a team coming last and his forwards are being outmuscled. He is 20 and has no experienced player in the spine to carry the load .Despite this he is improving every week, especially in defence. He will be a 200+ NRL player and it will be very regrettable if those games are not in a Canterbury jersey.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing holding Avo back is that he is in a team coming last and his forwards are being outmuscled. He is 20 and has no experienced player in the spine to carry the load .Despite this he is improving every week, especially in defence. He will be a 200+ NRL player and it will be very regrettable if those games are not in a Canterbury jersey.
It would be a stupid swap. Cheese is off contract after next year. It’s not as though we need to dangle a carrot to get him out of a 5 year deal ffs.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your wrong mate, it is a debate and it wouldn't surprise me if the majority want to keep Avo.
Where does it say I must fall in line with the yes men on the Kennel??? The truth is I'd rather an international Rep player over a dumb founded looking Avo every day of the week. Period!!!!!!!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand your angle but...comparing Thurston and Avo and the same stage and age and its not even close. JT didn't drift in and out of games and even with his milk arrowroot shoulders would run to the line and get smashed over and over again. Different size tickers, I like Avo but he isn't Thurston.
I dont think we know what we have in Avo yet & no players should be compared to Thurston who will be an imortal eventually. Avo strikes me as not believing in his ability at the moment but if he got the right psychologist to unlock him he would kill it. Look at Nico Hynes. Not the main man so played passive. Was reasonable in his role & you could see the talent but he wasn't the team controller. Injuries and a star is born. Storm were trying to offload Papenhausen a few years ago & now he is a top 10 player. I think burton is definitely going to unlock Avo more &, if we get the FB from St George I think Avo can lose the organiser part of his role & deploy his running game more which will give us a lot more strike.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Something holding him back? You mean like being rushed into firstgrade without proper development and playing in one of the worst club sides we've seen in decades? Lol.
LOL to your LOL you BFB

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You really are discounting what teams these guys played in and who Avo is playing for Baz... We are talking about teams on the completely opposite sides of the ladder, like completely.

Not disagreeing Avo is a soft little shit atm but once we get bigger and better watch this kid fly.
Mate, I am not as silly as that and fully respect the diff between 04 and 21 teams. But, nothing you can say will convince me that Avo is even close to the same player as JT. I saw him playing 20’s and when he made his debut.

Not even close. That said I still think Avo could be anything and maybe FB might end up being his spot.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate, I am not as silly as that and fully respect the diff between 04 and 21 teams. But, nothing you can say will convince me that Avo is even close to the same player as JT. I saw him playing 20’s and when he made his debut.

Not even close. That said I still think Avo could be anything and maybe FB might end up being his spot.
Its a tough one, it really is considering what Thurston became but how high is Avo's ceiling is yet to be determined. It would be foolish to let go a promising junior for a gun hooker who we have every chance of getting the year after and if not him another one coming through the ranks elsewhere.

Ridiculous move in my opinion.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a tough one, it really is considering what Thurston became but how high is Avo's ceiling is yet to be determined. It would be foolish to let go a promising junior for a gun hooker who we have every chance of getting the year after and if not him another one coming through the ranks elsewhere.

Ridiculous move in my opinion.
Fair enough, but there is no-one in our current roster that I wouldn’t swap for Cheese.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough, but there is no-one in our current roster that I wouldn’t swap for Cheese.
Plenty of options to get us going until we find another cheese or atleast get the cheese in 2023.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This deal (and any other) needs to be done without giving up and best juniors. Especially those under contract.
What kind of message do we want to send to our juniors. It’s just not on - get it done another way or walk away from the deal.
100% mate Averillo is are next superstar look at Barba he debut in 2008 didn’t shine till 12 4 years before he became a star