Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) AVO against Sam Burgess

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
AVO's are so easy to get but are harder to defend against. I had to cop one for a year because I couldn't actually fight it as i had no evidence and it went on a he said she said. They took her side and in the end I had to accept it but without admition, meaning their was no charges or anything recorded. Long story short, my ex got the AVO on me because she said I was harassing her. She used the call log on her phone as "evidence" against me to get it.

What the calls were, were me ringing to talk to my children or organise to see the children. Ever time I rang, she would either say that they can't talk now or were asleep and I'd have to ring back later. Sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. So there were days I had to call her 3 times in the day just to speak to the children or to organise to see them. See how easy it is to turn it against you.
Very sorry to hear and it seems to happen way too much. Cops aren’t interested in getting the real story or investigating anything. It’s easier to act like robots and hand out AVO’s like lollies without caring about the consequences they have on people such as yourself.
I can understand how they might help some people but really it’s a piece of paper but has the potential to ruin many innocent people’s lives.
I just can’t fathom calling the Police and asking for an AVO because another bloke argued or even threatened me. I’d be so embarrassed

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear and it seems to happen way too much. Cops aren’t interested in getting the real story or investigating anything. It’s easier to act like robots and hand out AVO’s like lollies without caring about the consequences they have on people such as yourself.
I can understand how they might help some people but really it’s a piece of paper but has the potential to ruin many innocent people’s lives.
I just can’t fathom calling the Police and asking for an AVO because another bloke argued or even threatened me. I’d be so embarrassed
Thing is, if you really are going to do something to someone, the AVO and the piece of paper it's on isn't going to stop you if you intend on it.

It was weird having an AVO, when not once did I threaten her or physical harm her at anytime during or after our relationship but there I was being put under the same tag as someone who did. In the end all it did was make it harder for me to access my children and having to go through 2nd parties to get my children and info about them. In the end I think that was her whole point in getting the AVO to make access harder for the children.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are indeed many facets, and i tend to steer clear of these discussions mainly as many will project their own, often terrible experiences, and true objectivity is nigh on impossible. For every guy who can't see his kids because of his lying ex wife (as Matsadogg says above and mate you have my (and i'm sure many others her on TK) complete sympathy and thoughts - it must be a terrible time you're going through), there will be another deadbeat father who won't cough up for support, or has forced his ex wife to move address due to threats of violence.

My first marriage ended up with no kids and little by way of assets. We hired a common lawyer, signed a piece of paper, shook hands and never had to deal with her again. I know i am one of the "lucky" ones for want of a better phrase.

I see enough family law disputes in my line of work (insolvency practitioner) to know they can be very hard on some people. Why people need to be arseholes I'll never know.
Cheers mate, unfortunately shit happens and I ain't the only decent bloke that's gotten or getting taken for a ride by the ex missus. I pay my damn Child Support and help pay for things also to do with my Children.

If I was a deadbeat dad I could understand not wanting me around the children, and I have seen some deadbeat dads in my time but that's not me.

Thing is the Children won't always be kids and they will grow up and have their own minds and do what they want. Hopefully I will be able to have a proper relationship with them then.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There are indeed many facets, and i tend to steer clear of these discussions mainly as many will project their own, often terrible experiences, and true objectivity is nigh on impossible. For every guy who can't see his kids because of his lying ex wife (as Matsadogg says above and mate you have my (and i'm sure many others her on TK) complete sympathy and thoughts - it must be a terrible time you're going through), there will be another deadbeat father who won't cough up for support, or has forced his ex wife to move address due to threats of violence.

My first marriage ended up with no kids and little by way of assets. We hired a common lawyer, signed a piece of paper, shook hands and never had to deal with her again. I know i am one of the "lucky" ones for want of a better phrase.

I see enough family law disputes in my line of work (insolvency practitioner) to know they can be very hard on some people. Why people need to be arseholes I'll never know.
True for sure.

There are a lot of bad people out there of both sexes.

Some use intimidation for their revenge and some use AVO's.

My news feed just came up.

First 3 were police have put an AVO on Stuart Webb, Kate Ritchie's husband (ex Rooster but surprisingly that not mentioned)

Next a serial rapist article from the Sunday Night show.

Then the convicted 6? students filmed high fiving after gang raping and heavily injuring a drunk female at a London nightclub.

These issues, and the family violence, frighten females and because we are at a physical disadvantage, and feel like prey, a lot use AVO's as they are meant to work and then also because you have good and bad with both sexes, you get vindictive, crazy jealous mental cases who use AVO's as weapons and punishment.

It is a hard one trying to be fair to all sides in an argument and especially to counter human nature and personality traits and balance between decent, responsible people who are going through a bad time in theirs lives and then the truly mean, evil that is out there.

I for one would err on protection as my first priority if family were involved .

We all have to be fair and mindful of the damage and hurt that is done and mostly no one wins 'cept the lawyers bank balances.

Malla

Reaction score
My best mate is going through the same thing. Unfortunately it’s a tactic lawyers use to help get full custody of the kids to the missus. File the AVO because of some bogus claim that the male is being threatening (doesn’t even have to be physical) and on the back of that it gives the perception he’s a threat to the kids and it rolls on from there.

By no means am I know this is the same situation with Sam but would not be surprised if it is.

Danny Weidler is getting absolutely hammered on twitter for reporting this btw

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My best mate is going through the same thing. Unfortunately it’s a tactic lawyers use to help get full custody of the kids to the missus. File the AVO because of some bogus claim that the male is being threatening (doesn’t even have to be physical) and on the back of that it gives the perception he’s a threat to the kids and it rolls on from there.

By no means am I know this is the same situation with Sam but would not be surprised if it is.

Danny Weidler is getting absolutely hammered on twitter for reporting this btw
For sure mate. It really sucks and is a shocking situation. Especially if it’s a male on a good income. They need this royal commission into the family law court ASAP. Hate her or love her, even Pauline Hanson came out and condemned women that make false reports purely to get custody of their kids

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t remember such outrage here when Hazem went through this

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as a cock he can be, if Phoebe and her dad are trying to stop him from seeing his kids, then they are probably deserving of a good spray.
Well the less he sees his children the more he pays..

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sick of this bullshit. The courts are weighed too heavily to females when it comes to child custody etc

it just isn’t right.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me about it, I know it first hand. My ex was screwing someone else yet I was the one that got screwed harder than her in the end and made out to be the bad guy. Copped an unwarranted AVO, made to do parenting classes, and in the end still haven't seen my kids in about 3 years. But I'm putting money away into a war chest to take her to court and get proper visitations with my kids.
First thing a woman is told by their legal people is get an avo it makes him look bad

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tell me about it, I know it first hand. My ex was screwing someone else yet I was the one that got screwed harder than her in the end and made out to be the bad guy. Copped an unwarranted AVO, made to do parenting classes, and in the end still haven't seen my kids in about 3 years. But I'm putting money away into a war chest to take her to court and get proper visitations with my kids.
The table always turns my Friend. Main thing is the kids are ok i hope? There are plenty of people out there in your situation. I feel for people like yourself. I honestly don't understand how partners have a conscience doing shit like that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First thing a woman is told by their legal people is get an avo it makes him look bad
And it is almost always a male solicitor, so they play their part in all this.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this even on our rumor page......who give a rats. I am not a Souths supporter.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
realistically we have no idea what did and didn't happen. probably only 2 people that know for sure. Sam and the father in-law. The information being reported though is just media outlets covering their ass.
saying nothing physical and left when asked means the media didn't make any accusations that can't be proved. it's weidlers way of saying oh my look at this and then saying nothing.
as far as kids and custody though, I feel for all men going through that challenge. I fought for years and eventually won full custody, so I know how hard it can be.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Guy's don't be quick to condemn. AVO's and DVO's are a go to for women in separation cases these days to ensure the Dad has no chance of seeing the kids. Infact family lawyers are advising their female clients to do this even if the bloke has done nothing wrong. That article in itself said that nothing actually happened so the justification for the AVO should have to be proved. If he has done something wrong I will be the first to call him a dickhead etc but just remember there is a massive amount of Dad's committing suicide (21 per week) due to alienation caused by the Mother's and a Government system set up by feminists to punish men. This is why Senator Hanson has pushed for a senate enquiry into the whole business. Father's are killing themselves from these types of incidents and prolonged alienation from their kids. This is hurting the kids development aswell by not having their Dad's in their lives which is absolutely essential. Here is an interesting article that is a submission for the enquiry. This should be based on facts and not abusing a shit one sided anti-man system. I hope everyone in that family is safe and a just outcome is reached remembering what's best for the kids.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2019/1...aQ1VtnVoORwRvbSq72O5t9Qh0mPHjyRbXkKETv1nqkKs8

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Guy's don't be quick to condemn. AVO's and DVO's are a go to for women in separation cases these days to ensure the Dad has no chance of seeing the kids. Infact family lawyers are advising their female clients to do this even if the bloke has done nothing wrong. That article in itself said that nothing actually happened so the justification for the AVO should have to be proved. If he has done something wrong I will be the first to call him a dickhead etc but just remember there is a massive amount of Dad's committing suicide (21 per week) due to alienation caused by the Mother's and a Government system set up by feminists to punish men. This is why Senator Hanson has pushed for a senate enquiry into the whole business. Father's are killing themselves from these types of incidents and prolonged alienation from their kids. This is hurting the kids development aswell by not having their Dad's in their lives which is absolutely essential. Here is an interesting article that is a submission for the enquiry. This should be based on facts and not abusing a shit one sided anti-man system. I hope everyone in that family is safe and a just outcome is reached remembering what's best for the kids.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2019/1...aQ1VtnVoORwRvbSq72O5t9Qh0mPHjyRbXkKETv1nqkKs8
Cruel and twisted people that dont have a decent bone in their body. Always thinking about themselves. Although alot ARE warranted, there are a heap as you rightly point out are pure malicious.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The table always turns my Friend. Main thing is the kids are ok i hope? There are plenty of people out there in your situation. I feel for people like yourself. I honestly don't understand how partners have a conscience doing shit like that.
I have no doubts in her ability as a mother when it comes to the kids. She is a great mother to those children and they are well looked after. She is just a bitch when it comes to me and the kids, unfortunately like many men in my shoes.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have no doubts in her ability as a mother when it comes to the kids. She is a great mother to those children and they are well looked after. She is just a bitch when it comes to me and the kids, unfortunately like many men in my shoes.
I hear you brother!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There are so many facets to marriage and family break downs.

"Sam doesn't come across as a guy who doesn't want to be a father to his kids."

There's very few out there that don't but yet the situation gets out of control. Too much aggression and testosterone flying around seems to be the prime cause. I have no other explanation as to why the really tragic cases escalate to violence and even murder.

Who knows what drives a normal, apparently rational farmer to kill his wife, daughter and 4 grandchildren. Who knows why an estranged guy agrees to councelling and at the police station, whips out a knife and slits the wife's throat leaving his kids effectly orphans to be raised by aunts and uncles.

In this Burgess case I can tell you, and many of us are oldies with grandchildren. When you have charge of them you take extra precautions, you ensure their safety far more than you did your own kids. Like the saying says, if your kids are the rainbow, your grandchildren are the pot of gold.

IF it was a grumbling, tired and emotional, threatening Sam Burgess at our home making demands or being aggressive, he shouldn't be expecting anything other than an AVO from me, or my husband.

Let him calm down and sort himself out elsewhere and make sure he gets the message not to return to our home to cause harm or trouble. Violence and anger still happens but does anyone have a better protection system in these situations.

If the guy is genuine, it can be resolved you would hope.
Unfortunately that is not how the system is set up. No-one know's the circumstances of this case and tbh we shouldn't be even discussing this as it's none of our business and especially the media's to report on. They are less than scumbags and are only making it worse, all so they can get some clicks on the internet. How could any reasonable person sleep at night doing that?

Grandparents could easily make the situation worse thinking in a selfish and one-sided way so whatever they are saying isn't necessarily gospel. I posted in this topic already which I left a link for a great letter of submission to the upcoming Senate enquiry into this topic which is well overdue and is more responsible for taking lives then the actual issue. The current system is covered in blood and is one-sided and has nothing to do with keeping kids safe and more about escalation, alienation and ultimately suicide and murders. No-one reports on the 21 Dad's per week who give up and take their own lives all because they just wanted to see their babies! I just hope that this system is fully overhauled and the feminist agenda taken out of the equation and the real issue of safety and what's best for the kids becomes the actual focal point.

Anyone who has gone through a separation involving kids and the pure heartbreak of not seeing your babies 24/7 anymore and how you have no choice in the matter knows of what I speak and the thoughts of why carrying on that inevitably enters your mind. The easy answer is for your kids, the hard answer is that because you can't see them you no longer can watch or want to feel this stuff anymore. We need to face the problem as a people and not as a woman or man. For way too long it has been one-sided and it must stop!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AVO's are so easy to get but are harder to defend against. I had to cop one for a year because I couldn't actually fight it as i had no evidence and it went on a he said she said. They took her side and in the end I had to accept it but without admition, meaning their was no charges or anything recorded. Long story short, my ex got the AVO on me because she said I was harassing her. She used the call log on her phone as "evidence" against me to get it.

What the calls were, were me ringing to talk to my children or organise to see the children. Ever time I rang, she would either say that they can't talk now or were asleep and I'd have to ring back later. Sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. So there were days I had to call her 3 times in the day just to speak to the children or to organise to see them. See how easy it is to turn it against you.
When I hear these stories it makes my blood boil. So wrong on so many levels.