Reaction score
Yup. Can't be a centre. Test him at 5/8 or he'll be a backup at best

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm not going to shit on the kid as centre is the hardest place to defend on the field... couple that with our shit defensive structure the kids on a hiding to nothing. 1 or 6 and thats it... We are killing his confidence just like we did to Meaney late last season.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he can't read defence I'm not sure 1 is the position for him either

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can tell he is a half by nature, in attack and defense he pushes infield quite a lot and thats why teams go around him so easily.

He is our most exciting prospect by far. You can't just throw a half in at centre and expect him to perform.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fucking hell people are absurd on here sometimes. He's 20 years old, has played barely 5 full games of FG, hasn't played in his best position once and is playing for a wooden spoon team, yet people are already writing him off?

How about putting things into context for once and having some patience?

He's got a tonne of talent and a huge future ahead of him.. I can't wait for Barrett to get the best out of him and these posts to be quoted when Averillo starts tearing up next season.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know if he is or not, but 100 percent when he makes an error in attack or defense his head drops.

Still alot to like about him, horrible defender at centre and wing though

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucking hell people are absurd on here sometimes. He's 20 years old, has played barely 5 full games of FG, hasn't played in his best position once and is playing for a wooden spoon team, yet people are already writing him off?

He's got a tonne of talent and a huge future ahead of him.. I can't wait for Barrett to get the best out of him and these posts to be quoted when Averillo starts tearing up next season.
You can have loads of attacking talent that people jizz over. But if you're a liability in D, you're just another NSW cup player

And if you have watched him in the lower gradrs, you would know he struggles in D there too. I was hopeful when he came to first grade, because he is an attacking freak, but yeh nah. Cost currently outweighs benefit

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There is a word for it, stupid.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He got exposed by the Storm and got by exposed by the Warriors today

Another Kennel hype merchant

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
he did talk about rotating the halves. Maybe he's doing it to the backs too to give the duds a chance to shine and earn a new contract at a new club. That's the only logical explanation I can think of
Haven't you been cracking a fat jizzing for weeks now about Averillo??

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not going to shit on the kid as centre is the hardest place to defend on the field... couple that with our shit defensive structure the kids on a hiding to nothing. 1 or 6 and thats it... We are killing his confidence just like we did to Meaney late last season.
I agree.
People are too harsh on Jake.
That left side defence was so short he was on a hiding to nothing.
He is criticised when he stayed on his man and Foran's man got the ball away.
Another try he was actually pushed out of the way, which I thought was doubtful.
In attack he was never passed the ball along the line. I think he had 2 runs as a barger.
Every one wants us to buy a team, but we rubbish the talent that we have.
The Penrith Chrichton has been shown up badly in defence but a lot of guys say yes buy him.
Lets get a decent coach in and see what happens.
Accept the spoon. I will after that pathetic display in the 2nd half today.
From our line 3 hit ups from backs who get smashed, then A. Tolman then a hail mary pass then a crap kick and the the Warriors are back near halfway after 2 tackles.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't you been cracking a fat jizzing for weeks now about Averillo??
Guilty - it's been months actually. He's making me look bad :sob:
I have a huge rap on him as a 5/8 or FB. Not at center. I expected him to go OK there but I didn't expect his defense to be this bad. He looks like a deer in the headlight defending out there
Hoepfully next year with a better coach and in a better defensive system he'll do better.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He has zip but doesn't have defence or size.

has to be a half or nothing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can have loads of attacking talent that people jizz over. But if you're a liability in D, you're just another NSW cup player

And if you have watched him in the lower gradrs, you would know he struggles in D there too. I was hopeful when he came to first grade, because he is an attacking freak, but yeh nah. Cost currently outweighs benefit
What is the cost? We're 2-13. What is there to lose? Would you rather play Reserve Graders like Lafai, Holland, Cogger, Lewis etc instead of Averillo for the last five games?

He's played less than 10 games, half of them off the bench. It's not like he can't improve on his defence in the offseason.

People forget how crap Shifty was for his first 20 games or so. He was playing fullback, off the bench etc. Then eventually he became the best halfback we've had in the last 20 years... Averillo has more talent in attack than most of the rest of the squad put together so if he fixes his defence, then he can definitely reach his potential. Either way it's way too early to be writing him off.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
He hasn’t been able to tackle well since he was a young kid at sports before he went to moorebank. What he does is either rush up and take nobody or he used to go for intercepts all the time, because he can’t hold his space and when you can’t tackle as a young kid it’s very hard to get out of unless somebody who knows what there talking about spends some one on one time with him. Doesn’t matter where you play in first grade you will on occasions get beaten when defending but that’s when you really have to bite down and put your head in the wrong place to make the tackle( coaches refer to it as defence is all about attititude). He doesn’t have this atm, regardless of him giving away kilos, experience etc.... many years ago Andrew ettingshausen was a disgraceful defencesive centre for the first couple of years of his career, but at a luncheon I went to he told a story of how the old heads at Cronulla would sledge him at training about his defence and one preseason he worked on his defence everyday. It’s early on in his career just gotta grit your teeth young man and tell yourself I have to improve this part of my game before I’m regarded as a true first grader.