Averillo VS Burton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Would it not be best to put Averillo in a position to play on your two very good halves? Something like centre or fullback(though fullback needs to pass).
Jakes long-term future will be at centre/fullback unless Burton/Flanagan fail to live up to expectations and a position in the halves opens up. Jake also has silky hands and very good awareness some the playmaking aspect isn't something he will struggle with...it's more the off the ball stuff and getting his conditioning where it needs to be to play firstgrade.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Were yet to see any evidence of him ball playing which is why i cant understand why so many are sold on him playing fullback and crying about the allan signing, Allan has proven he is a quality ball player who puts his outside men away.
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean there's no evidence, you're just limited to what's available on the internet. Go look for the ISP highlights from last season where he played 6 and hesetup multiple tries and scored 1 in a single half when Cogger took a back seat. The game was streamed so it may be online somewhere. Also listen to what a few of the guys have to say that follow the Juniors.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's been a bit of a debate lately on the best position for Averillo. Whether he should play FB, centers or 5/8th, pushing Burton out to lock. Judging from these clips, I think Averillo is a center. He looks very one dimensional and uses his speed to get on the outside of his opponent (similar to jmoz) with minimal footwork and ball playing.

I also don't see how he's going to be the preferred FB over Allan. I'm hoping I'm wrong but that's just my opinion.
Burton
1/ Has a running game
2/ Has a passing game
3 / Has a kicking game (capable of making the ball bounce back towards himself so it stays in the in-goal area.
= perfect 5/8

Averillo
1/ Has a running game
= perfect Back (winger, centre - finisher)

He would make an okay fullback but a fullback is expected to have a bit of a passing game these days for try assists - like Allan.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is obviously much better at setting up plays for his team mates and is therefore the better game manager, which makes me think that he would also make a good 1/2, but we have Flannagan at 1/2.
Averillo is IMHO is just as good at breaking the line and beating players, which convinces me that he would make it at FB, but no doubt Allen will certainly get first crack their. It would be sad to lose a born and bred Bulldog who has so much potential.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton comes this year I'd go with-

1. Allen
2. DWZ (if he can start catching bombs again, otherwise Meaney)
3.Cotric
4. Averillo
5. Hoppa

6. Burton
7. Flanno

Next year Fox comes in for one of the wingers, most likely Hoppa because he's off contract although he is safer under bombs than DWZ.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton has a kicking game, he took over and filled a spot when Nathan was off and is a back up for both the halves during origin, if flanno went down is avo getting to run this team? Think avo has a lot of learning to do. Flanno played under pressure and through injuries, so he’s grown, burton filled a position and shined, avo it untested, I hope he smashes it, but I definitely don’t see him talk like a first grader, he’s still learning and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s had no time with a snr playmaker.
Burton had a few and flanno had a few, Foran wasn’t on the field enough to teach these kids. So I feel they are all a little behind because of the last 3 yrs. it shows, they all have potential but lacked knowledge and skill from a higher class playmaker to help them improve and grow.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton has a kicking game, he took over and filled a spot when Nathan was off and is a back up for both the halves during origin, if flanno went down is avo getting to run this team? Think avo has a lot of learning to do. Flanno played under pressure and through injuries, so he’s grown, burton filled a position and shined, avo it untested, I hope he smashes it, but I definitely don’t see him talk like a first grader, he’s still learning and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s had no time with a snr playmaker.
Burton had a few and flanno had a few, Foran wasn’t on the field enough to teach these kids. So I feel they are all a little behind because of the last 3 yrs. it shows, they all have potential but lacked knowledge and skill from a higher class playmaker to help them improve and grow.
With Barrett as coach we will the best out of all 3 of them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
At some point in the season I expect to see Averillo as a strike weapon in 14. Like Thurston (when he came off the bench) he has attacking ability to burn, but is underdone in physicality and questionable in defence. Given time to develop hopefully he grows into even half the player Thurston ended up.

Go Dogs

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point in the season I expect to see Averillo as a strike weapon in 14. Like Thurston (when he came off the bench) he has attacking ability to burn, but is underdone in physicality and questionable in defence. Given time to develop hopefully he grows into even half the player Thurston ended up.

Go Dogs
Yep this would be a good use for him!
Sink or swim from there...after he earns the 14, not given it.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton/Flanno are going to be our halves. It’ll be interesting though if Avo/Flanno kill it this year but I can’t see Avo pushing Burton out, Avo will shift somewhere else.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo’s best option is the 14. Fill the utility role and gain some experience in shorter bursts.

His defence will need to improve dramatically to play centre in the NRL on a full time basis. I also think we have a few promising centres coming through the juniors that should be given the opportunity.

From the limited experience Burton has had. He has shown he is class and will be a player that will play rep football.

I don’t have anything against Averillo but I haven’t seen anything from him yet to suggest he is going to be a superstar player. Burton just has that superstar look about him to me.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jakes long-term future will be at centre/fullback unless Burton/Flanagan fail to live up to expectations and a position in the halves opens up. Jake also has silky hands and very good awareness some the playmaking aspect isn't something he will struggle with...it's more the off the ball stuff and getting his conditioning where it needs to be to play firstgrade.
And how highly do you rate Averillos kicking game?
Surely having a kicking game is crucial to playing in the halves.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Would it not be best to put Averillo in a position to play on your two very good halves? Something like centre or fullback(though fullback needs to pass).
I think Allan is going to be out fullback long term and Burton will be out six. Avo will have to develop rapidly and add a lot of strings to his bow to try and displace either of them. Don’t see it happening.

He should knuckle down, work on his d and try to nail down a spot in the centres. Although by all accounts he is training well at 6, so he may become a handy utility or back up option.