Averillo VS Burton

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There's been a bit of a debate lately on the best position for Averillo. Whether he should play FB, centers or 5/8th, pushing Burton out to lock. Judging from these clips, I think Averillo is a center. He looks very one dimensional and uses his speed to get on the outside of his opponent (similar to jmoz) with minimal footwork and ball playing.

I also don't see how he's going to be the preferred FB over Allan. I'm hoping I'm wrong but that's just my opinion.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1 ticks all the boxes for spine player, The other has only shown that he can run there is no debate.

Also 1 highlights package is against kids, The other is against men in cup and nrl.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both are still very rough diamonds to some extent . Its easy to forgot Burton only has less then 10 NRL under his belt and only 3 of them are in the halves. Burton has also had the added advantage of coming into a side full of confidence and he can just slot into that Penrith side and play his role. Averillo was involved in the dumpster fire of a season with a coach having no idea how to develop a half or even develop him in one position.

If Burton joins this year I hold grave doubts over Averillo's future at the club it's hard to see where he fits into the side but if Burton isn't here till next year he has a huge opportunity. I think Tbaz will be great for Averillo and a silver lining to missing out on Burton will be seeing how much improvement he has with genuine coaching.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 ticks all the boxes for spine player, The other has only shown that he can run there is no debate.

Also 1 highlights package is against kids, The other is against men in cup and nrl.
100% spot on.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

And funnily enough the one against men was the more complete player and more impressive clip.

Avo does have the talent to make it. Worst thing for him was the arrival of Allan as he wont get a chance to play fullback in first grade (probably wouldnt even have trained there) so almost no chance he even fills in there.

Kid has talent, but Burton is the better and classier player. Its just that Avo will be an x-factor type that will create something out of nothing.

That left foot step of Burton though :o last 19-20 year old from panthers that was stepping like that ended up winning 2 grand finals and multiple origins.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This debate over who plays 6 is a waste of time because the only person that matters, TBaz, has already made the decision...Burton is our long term 5/8 and based on the highlights clip, you can see why he made the decision. I fully agree with Baz on this one and TBH the decision is not even close

Avo will have to become a centre or FB or he may end up leaving if he gets a chance to play in the spine at another club

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why do we constantly need to pit one against the other? Luckily we have both of them. Burton is our long term dominant half. Despite his size and ability to play lock, he won't play anywhere but in the halves with us as that's what he came here for and why Baz signed him.

Averillo's long term position is a bit less certain and he's a bit less polished at this stage but he's still an exciting prospect who's best suited as a ball runner. Either way, let's just see how 2021 unfolds first before we start getting too far ahead of ourselves..

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would it not be best to put Averillo in a position to play on your two very good halves? Something like centre or fullback(though fullback needs to pass).

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would it not be best to put Averillo in a position to play on your two very good halves? Something like centre or fullback(though fullback needs to pass).

Were yet to see any evidence of him ball playing which is why i cant understand why so many are sold on him playing fullback and crying about the allan signing, Allan has proven he is a quality ball player who puts his outside men away.