Averillo Try of the year

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a freakish effort. He needs to get more early ball and be given more room to move.. Obviously centre isn't his preferred position so it would be good to see him in the halves or at fullback before the end of the season.

He's a great talent and a genuine athlete. We need more players with his talent and athleticism moving forward.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a freakish effort. He needs to get more early ball and be given more room to move.

He's a great talent and a genuine athlete. We need more players with his talent and athleticism moving forward.
Yeah I’m just waiting for that explosive game

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is what he was doing in the lower grades and for the first time in many years we have a player who will go on to better things. It was a magic moment and tempered the fact that we lost the game. He is a keeper, probably our only real up and coming star. Can we clone him???

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s a must to keep in firsts. We need to give him a run a five eight. This is out opportunity

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a freakish effort. He needs to get more early ball and be given more room to move.. Obviously centre isn't his preferred position so it would be good to see him in the halves or at fullback before the end of the season.

Kid has talent, but I wouldn't be moving Meaney out of fullback right now. And throwing him into 5/8 might put him under a huge amount of pressure.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His defense is ordinary but that's why you play him at FB . There were a couple of half chances that Meaney didn't take today but I reckon Avo would have nailed them. He needs to be touching the ball as much as possible and its not going to happen playing in the center

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kid has talent, but I wouldn't be moving Meaney out of fullback right now. And throwing him into 5/8 might put him under a huge amount of pressure.
I agree about the halves as the defensive workload and responsibility might be too much this season. I don't think Meaney offers much at fullback though and think Averillo could be a star there.

At the very least he should have 10-15 minutes there a game to give him a taste and to get his hands on the ball more. Meaney could move to the wing and Montoya/Dallin could move to centre during that time.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree about the halves as the defensive workload and responsibility might be too much this season. I don't think Meaney offers much at fullback though and think Averillo could be a star there.

At the very least he should have 10-15 minutes there a game to give him a taste and to get his hands on the ball more. Meaney could move to the wing and Montoya/Dallin could move to centre during that time.
Probably has some merit. But it could also screw with the growing confidence we're seeing from Meaney to think he's going to lose his preferred position. And I have to say I'm more relaxed about kick reception with Meaney in the role. He hasn't been outstanding in attack, but has chimed into plays quite well IMO.

If Averillo impresses Barrett through the pre-season he'll potentially get his shot in a spine position. It's not a bad thing to let him tweek his defence in the centres this year.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He played 10 mins at FB in the trial and looked electric. You're right Meaney has been OK but Avo would be better

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a centre why do people wanna play him out of position

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching live this was such a treat!
Remember when touching the corner post meant no try?
Well he would have scored a try back then too!
Simply a magician!

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kids got some talent he doesn’t get enough ball but in saying that he’s doesn’t really go looking for the ball

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should be thrown into 5/8 and Foran shipped home back to Manly

Reactions: Sue