News Averillo torn MCL in elbow

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A stray elbow left young Cronulla star Jack A Williams in a coma Saturday night, while the Bulldogs are now hunting for a playmaker.

Canterbury speedster Jake Averillo is in danger of missing the opening rounds of the season after rupturing the MCL in his elbow.

Averillo is believed to have sustained the injury earlier this week and was spotted at training in an elbow brace.

With a usual recovery time of 1-2 months, Averillo is considered unlikely to line up for the Bulldogs in their season opener against Newcastle.

The 20-year old was one of the club’s bright spots in a tough season last year, impressing with his speed off the mark and game breaking abilities.

Averillo was in the running to play either five-eighth or centre for new coach Trent Barrett.

English prop Luke Thompson has also suffered a minor hamstring strain that will keep him sidelined for 2-3 weeks.

However, Thompson will not miss any NRL matches given he must still serve a four-match suspension for eye-gouging.

[/URL]

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One step closer to Lewis starting in round 1 :disrelieved:
Is there any chance Wakeham is ahead of Lewis in the pecking order? If Lewis does play, hopefully Flanagan is the dominant playmaker and does all of the kicking.

Maybe this news makes the club cave a little more to Penrith's demands to get Burton..

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good bye Napa. Enjoy the riff. Now dogs signed that tigers player today will take over Napa and burton comes to dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance Wakeham is ahead of Lewis in the pecking order? If Lewis does play, hopefully Flanagan is the dominant playmaker and does all of the kicking.

Maybe this news makes the club cave a little more to Penrith's demands to get Burton..
I have no idea but it did seem Averillo had that spot for round 1. Lewis and Flanagan won’t work as halves combination they are just way too similar in the way they play even though Flanagan does everything at a much higher level.

Wakeham has more attacking potential then Lewis but I think we could struggle for points with either of them. We won’t have any running threat in the halves without Averillo. Maybe Allan will have a much bigger role now to cover for that?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have no idea but it did seem Averillo had that spot for round 1. Lewis and Flanagan won’t work as halves combination they are just way too similar in the way they play even though Flanagan does everything at a much higher level.

Wakeham has more attacking potential then Lewis but I think we could struggle for points with either of them. We won’t have any running threat in the halves without Averillo. Maybe Allan will have a much bigger role now to cover for that?
Yeah I agree regarding Lewis and Flanagan. Plus we know Lewis likes to get a lot of touches regardless of who his halves partner is so I can see him getting in the way and things looking clunky. Wakeham isn't much of a ball runner so he's not a great fit with Flanagan either.

Allan will definitely have his hands on the ball more. He could play there but you wouldn't think Baz would move him from fullback if that's his full time position this season. It's a shame to have such a spine reshuffle in Round 1 and it makes trying to get Burton this year a priority now instead of a luxury.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

What a nightmare, Lewis stifles anyone who plays along side him. I know Wakeham isn’t fantastic but I’d rather see him start over Lewis.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a nightmare, Lewis stifles anyone who plays along side him. I know Wakeham isn’t fantastic but I’d rather see him start over Lewis.
Yeah it's far from ideal but hopefully a compromise can be reached with Penrith in the next week or so.

If not, I'd probably rather see Wakeham than Lewis too but a left field option like Hoppa as a ball runner and link player or someone else short term wouldn't surprise me either.. Baz had Walker at 5/8th at Manly for a while and might be open to the idea. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree regarding Lewis and Flanagan. Plus we know Lewis likes to get a lot of touches regardless of who his halves partner is so I can see him getting in the way and things looking clunky. Wakeham isn't much of a ball runner so he's not a great fit with Flanagan either.

Allan will definitely have his hands on the ball more. He could play there but you wouldn't think Baz would move him from fullback if that's his full time position this season. It's a shame to have such a spine reshuffle in Round 1 and it proves how our halves depth is tested without Burton at the club.
With Flanagan being the game manager you’d have to take the most creative player out of Lewis and Wakeham. That’s Wakeham for mine even though he has looked like a deer in the headlights a lot of the time in NRL I think it’s the best option.

Oh no I wasn’t suggesting moving Allan but I think he will get a lot more touches as you say and basically play that running 5/8 role from fullback.

It’s going to be so deflating if Lewis is starting.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bad news for Averillo. But hopefully when he gets his next chance to play in the top 17, he walks into a side that is performing well where he's feeling less pressure.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Good bye Napa. Enjoy the riff. Now dogs signed that tigers player today will take over Napa and burton comes to dogs
Not sure. Penrith would still have to agree to pay a large chunk of his salary which they can’t afford. More likely Ogden I’d think.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we give them Napa ahead of Ogden. I was impressed with Ogden last season. More chance he has a future with us than Napa who is off contract after this year anyway and likely to be leaving so one season early is no big deal.

Last edited:

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IN THE WARD: Jayden Okunbor (knee, mid-late season), Joe Stimson (shoulder, trials), Adam Elliott (shoulder, trials), Christian Crichton (knee, season), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle, round one), Dylan Napa (knee, trials), Luke Thompson (suspended, round 5), Jake Averillo (elbow, round 3)

NRL Physio analysis:
Okunbor is aiming for a mid-season return, and like Staggs is unlikely to be back to his best this year. Crichton will miss the entire 2021 season after an ACL rupture late last year. I was tipping a big year for RFM after he started 2020 coming off syndesmosis surgery, but the recent news of an ankle “clean-out” procedure has tempered those expectations in the early season. While in no doubt for Round 1 he will miss valuable time on his feet at training in the coming weeks, meaning he will likely gradually build his fitness and performance over the opening rounds. Adam Elliott and Joe Stimson should hit the ground running with the timing of their shoulder reconstructions leaving them plenty of time to be fit for Round 1.