Averillo to test open market before extending.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s his background? I’m surprised Averillo isn’t at the world cup?

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No his worst attribute is coming out of our own 20 meters.
We need field position and setting up for the rest of the 5 tackles you need strong yardage to take pressure off of the forwards.
But Wingers contribute more to coming out of our own 20 meters? Fullbacks usually get the ball with space to move. Wingers and centres typically take the second and third hit up so he would have more space at fullback on kick returns.

Think Brian To’o, Maika Sivo etc.

What I’m getting at is that if you say that his worst attribute is coming out of our own end, then you’d actually rather him at fullback because wingers are needed for that purpose more

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jury still out on avo. His speed and athletic ability suited to a team that has a dominant forward pack and halves that create space.

Also a decent coach to teach him structures and positioning in attack and defence wouldn’t go astray. Was not suited to Baz ball. Would probably be a star at the storm lol.
Yeah agree. Storm turned bog average Meaney who had a quick turn of speed into a good player.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think his manager is taking the piss to be honest, but its now up to Jake as he will get a chance to own the 1 in the offseason. This is his last real chance to make an impression and if he fails he will be done as a regular first grader, at least for the Dogs anyway.
Yeah good point. He never had an off-season to train with the team in the number one and it was only because of potter that he got a shot mid season.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avo needs to develop a fend and a step and build his awareness and support play. Tedesco and Barba are 2 freakish players he can learn off. Study the videos boy!!

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I love having Gus here.

If we let him go, it's because he wasn't worth holding onto. Good luck and God speed Avo, onto the next prospect for us.

If we persist with him, it's because he has genuine potential and with the right coaching will likely go on to succeed.

Either way, I have zero concerns

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's not our long term 1 or 7, so i doubt the club is even looking at extending him on anything major (if at all).

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I believe that Gus is doing the right thing, he would have told him to test the market then come back to us.
Contrary to what some people think, I believe that there is a place for him with us,
at the right price

I agree. He shows plenty of promise in places but needs to take more control when he sees an opportunity. More demanding like all good Fullbacks.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People keep forgetting Averilo is still young and still growing.
People to become rock stars at a young age took Thurston till he was 23-24 before he kicked into gear.
I’m sure he will kick on he has great acceleration and speed.
Worth developing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People keep forgetting Averilo is still young and still growing.
People to become rock stars at a young age took Thurston till he was 23-24 before he kicked into gear.
I’m sure he will kick on he has great acceleration and speed.
Worth developing
You might be right about Averillo but Thurston dominated juniors and reserves like very few people have. His talent was obvious at any level.. And when he first played FG, he made an immediate impact. So much so that at times as a rookie, Thurston was outplaying Anasta who was a rep player.