Averillo - Finally Found His Spot

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played like an idiot. Two costly errors that led to tries. Sure, he showed some glimpses in attack, but so did Dufty. You can’t teach brains. Avo’s a lost cause.
100%. Trying to beat Kikau on the outside 1st tackle), trying the impossible pass to Fox after making 50m out of defence (1st tackle) both led to Pennies tries the next set. Even his try saver tackle, he stayed at marker, putting him out of position to save the try off the next play…and he jogged to it anyway Dufty-style.

Yes he’s young, but not losing the ball 1st tackle is juniors stuff. I can’t work out if he has zero confidence or so much confidence he thinks the basics don’t apply to him

I’ve waited and hoped he would turn good, and Maybe he’ll come good after a few games at FB…but somehow I just don’t think so

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is fucking shit
He’s just got that element of mbyeness. He doesn’t look like he’s given it everything he’s got. But I still much rather him than Dufty the wimp.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck me, there's some angry people in this thread. Guess I better pick a side- give yourself an uppercut if you think Avo was shit tonight. Yeah, he faded in the second half but that's what happens when you haven't played fullback in fuck knows how long and you've had a literal fat **** conditioning you for close to two years. Also, Avo playing fullback means we don't have to see Dufty the rat run away from making tackles anymore.
As dumb as I think he is as a footballer, and still believe regardless of preparation not going out or not trying the impossible pass on 1st tackle should be 1st grade basics, there is certainly logic in your post.

Especially the last bit…

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but I mean running down the sideline deep in your half…. That’s just basic footy IQ…. So is knowing when to not push a pass.

Those two plays were so costly in the context of the game. If Avo doesn’t make those mistakes, we probably win. If Okunbor produced two posts like that on one match. TK members would be burning effigies.
Yeah but Okonbor doesn’t have the pace to be in both spots So he would never had those opportunities. He would have been watching butterflies while Penrith scored around him he’s good for that.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bottom line Dufty had a major role in 3 of the 4 tries against St George v Avarillo none. Yes his first game at FB for awhile, Yes he looked promising,.... however modern FB have their finger prints on many tries..

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but I mean running down the sideline deep in your half…. That’s just basic footy IQ…. So is knowing when to not push a pass.

Those two plays were so costly in the context of the game. If Avo doesn’t make those mistakes, we probably win. If Okunbor produced two posts like that on one match. TK members would be burning effigies.
Geez that harsh, he did well to shut down the movement and pick the ball up . Hey ten created a chance with his run down the sideline. Butter fingers in support should really of caught the pass.

The costly error in the game was the Vaughan offload. 4 behind and we were coming home strong. Vaughn gives them possession , they score and it was the wind out of our sales.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo is not, and never will be a great fullback. Sadly he is probably the best we have, apart from JAC, who I would
like to see given a chance there.
He should watch a replay of how Dylan Edwards plays. He will learn a lot.
I know he's young and will develop, but he seems to lack the instincts of a good fullback.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutching at straws. He is pure shit
Spot on Averillo is not the answer at FB. At least Dufty offers more in attack. This is why Potter was coaching a Ron Massey quality Mounties side/ Averillo has had plenty of opportunities not only at FB at NRL level half,centre wing. & doesn’t cut the mustard like at least 10 others out there last night. Averillo is a monumental failure at FB, poor positional play in defence, poor communicator in setting our defensive lines, looks scared in collisions. The new coaching regime will have a task on their hands getting this roster fit & skilled to NRL level

Shootermc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wow I haven’t seen so many with sand in their vagina’s since at least last week on here. With bog average forwards getting dominated in every ruck your calling out backs whose passes had of gone to hand there would of been a wankfest. Until we hold our own in the ruck these poor backs will be under immense pressure every week. Examples Smith and Meaney both were in bog average is sides where there forwards were dominated week in and week out, move into a Melbourne side and they both never miss a beat.

Yes our system is broken and our playing strength weak and the foundation of our great is broken , but the constant calling out of our players is beyond a joke.

So to all you legends in there own lunchtimes on here have a great weekend

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Geez that harsh, he did well to shut down the movement and pick the ball up . Hey ten created a chance with his run down the sideline. Butter fingers in support should really of caught the pass.

The costly error in the game was the Vaughan offload. 4 behind and we were coming home strong. Vaughn gives them possession , they score and it was the wind out of our sales.
How are you blaming Allan for that? It was a terrible pass.

I don’t think it’s too harsh, really. He deserves the criticism snd I hope Potter really gave it to him at halftime. Trying to get outside them was just plain dumb. Chances of if ending well were slim to non existent.

The Vaughan offload was bad, but not many teams are going to come back from 22-6. We have made a habit of starting games badly and Avo pulls two low low percentage plays like that. Both of which led to tries off the next set.

He should have been kicked off the team bus and made to get the train home.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is not, and never will be a great fullback. Sadly he is probably the best we have, apart from JAC, who I would
like to see given a chance there.
He should watch a replay of how Dylan Edwards plays. He will learn a lot.
I know he's young and will develop, but he seems to lack the instincts of a good fullback.
Dylan Edwards at his age was rubbish

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bottom line Dufty had a major role in 3 of the 4 tries against St George v Avarillo none. Yes his first game at FB for awhile, Yes he looked promising,.... however modern FB have their finger prints on many tries..
FB sure has changed..before they’d just diffuse bombs, run the ball back, and yell at their team where to plug holes in defence..unbelievable how much they do in attack these days..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah but Okonbor doesn’t have the pace to be in both spots So he would never had those opportunities. He would have been watching butterflies while Penrith scored around him he’s good for that.
He wouldn’t have had the pace to stupidly hand the ball over to the opposition and cost us two tries? What a shame.

Okunbor’s defence would be fine if his inside men stopped leaving gaps you could drive a hovercraft through. I’ve gotta laugh at how everyone blames him when teams score on his wing and not the rest of the left side defensive line, who stand bunched around midfield like derps.