News Averillo banking on early return with no fallback for fringe first-graders

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury rookie Jake Averillo is banking on the NRL to return on May 28 or he could be forced to follow several other players and staff who have taken up temporary jobs to get through the coronavirus pandemic.

Averillo, the 19-year-old centre who impressed on debut for the Bulldogs last month, had extended his contract at the club until the end of the 2021 season to avoid being one of many young players trying to securing new deals.
The cancellation of NSW's Jersey Flegg and Canterbury Cup competitions leaves players like Averillo determined to remain in first grade or face the prospect of no match experience each week.

Fresh off his NRL debut against the Cowboys in round two, the local product is concerned his development will be put on hold if he is not in the top squad with no second-tier competitions to fall back on.

"It can be a crucial year, I had a big year in 2019 and got put into the top squad so it will definitely affect a few players' careers," Averillo told NRL.com.
"If it's your last year of under 20s that's it, you either get put up to Canterbury Cup or they get rid of you.

"Most of the boys my age have been told they're not playing for the rest of the year. They've all got jobs and play footy part-time so I feel fortunate.

"I'm not there yet, since this date has been thrown out so I've been training, but if it gets postponed any longer I'll look for some work."

Averillo has a personal trainer's certificate to his name but that offers little reprieve with fitness restrictions in place.

He's also worked as a teacher's aide but many of the schools where he's fulfilled that role are no longer in operation.

"There's not a whole lot you can be doing besides labouring," he said.

"I've never been on the tools, I haven't got much experience there but have done a few odd jobs.
There's a bit of hope there now with the date and it keeps us on our toes if it actually does happen so I'm taking it day by day."

It will be a year to remember for Averillo, who created history of his own against the Cowboys when he was the only player to make his NRL debut in front of no spectators before the season's shut down.

His father Mick, mother Bev and girlfriend Charli were the only fans allowed entry into ANZ Stadium to watch the occasion.
"I was lucky I got it in to be honest now looking back on it, I was disappointed not to get another crack but I'll still take it … it's still a debut," he said.

"I think I'm more eager now I've got a taste there. I just want to play in as many games as I can and get a spot in the 17 for the rest of the year, it's a basic goal for me.

"I like my hands on the ball but am pretty versatile. I started the pre-season trials in the outside backs so can play wherever which helps."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a natural 7. He and Cogger will make a good team in the halves.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Natural 6. Hope he gets more game time the season being suspended is probably hurting us more with the young talent coming through needing game time.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Give him a run with Foran if he’s back ffs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think he should be 6, but not gunna sit here and say he's not better at centre either as I haven't seen enough of the boy to know. All I know is he supports well and looks dangerous with the ball in hand

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's the most frustrating thing about the disrupted season for this team. We have such a young squad that needs to get valuable experience through each FG game and this is hindering players like Averillo, Wakeham and Renouf's progress.

Hopefully once it starts back up these players still have key roles in what should be a season where our youngsters are prioritised.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are loads of youngsters who are in the same boat. Hopefully it doesn't detail his or any other talented young players careers. He seems to have a good attitude about it though and I wish him well in his goal to become a full-time member of the squad.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he’s a natural 6 for sure, but would be happy with him in either at the moment until Foz returns.!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be foolish not to give our up and coming players such as Averillo Wakeham, Meaney, Doorey, Harper Tass, a fair go for the remainder of the season.
This season is a write off anyway, so why not find out which ones are worth keeping even if it means winning the spoon, I'm sure 1 or 2 will surprise.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give him the bench spot for now in Holland's spot for Fux sake.

His a 5/8, centre or FB. Similar to a Munster or a Whighton, just needs a rocket for aggression.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of good coaches have tried to create a halfback from their own roster. Most have ended up in failure.
A good halfback cannot be created. They are a natural fit to the position. Averillo has more potential as a halfback
than the others. He does everything right. The other problem in the halves, is that there is a lack of a creative player.
The most creative player amongst the candidates for the halves is Jack Cogger.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A good halfback cannot be created.
I don’t believe that we can pigeonhole halves, for every “natural” there’s at least one “created”. For example Cronk was created, far from a “natural” halfback. Thurston was a “natural” halfback but he played most of his career at 5/8. Pearce is another, far more “created“ than “natural”, as is Cleary.

A generalisation, the “game manager” halves tend to be “created”, it’s rare to find a “natural” half that can also “manage” a game. When you do they become legends, because they are extremely rare, come along once in a generation, Steve Mortimer for example.

Go Dogs