Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nielsen gets the nod

Cricket Australia has named former South Australian wicketkeeper Tim Nielsen as new Australian cricket coach.

Nielsen succeeds John Buchanan, whose highly successful stint has included the 2006-07 Ashes sweep and the 2003 World Cup, where Australia went undefeated.

Buchanan, a Queenslander, will hand over duties to Nielsen after the March-April World Cup defence in the West Indies.

"I'm incredibly proud, honoured and excited to have been offered this opportunity," Nielsen said today. "Moving forward, this job represents a great opportunity to work with a fine group of players who are an excellent cricket team.

"Over the coming period there will be some transition in the playing group and I look forward to working with the exiting emerging talent in this country."

"Filling John Buchanan's shoes will be a big job. John is a leading light in cricket coaching globally and his record speaks for itself. I've been privileged to be a member of his support staff and the benefits I'll inherit in terms of the structure around the playing group have largely come around due to John's hard work. John will continue to be a regular sounding board for me in the role.''

Nielsen was a wicketkeeper-batsman for South Australia who played in 101 first-class matches and retired in 1999 to become an assistant coach at the West End Redbacks.

Tim is currently the head coach at the Commonwealth Bank Centre of Excellence (CBCE) in Brisbane, which includes managing the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) men's cricket program.

The 38-year-old accepted the CBCE role in 2005 after spending three years assisting Buchanan in the coaching of Australia.

The appointment was warmly recieved by Buchanan and Australian captain Ricky Ponting.

"I think this is an outstanding appointment for Australian cricket, the team and the coaching profession," said Buchanan. "Tim has demonstrated throughout his time in the state system, as assistant coach to the national team and head coach in the CBCE program his dedication, desire and enthusiasm for the game. He also has a huge desire for the team to keep improving. Each system he's been involved with has prospered. He is an ideal man, together with the Australian captain, to take the Australian team into the future.''

Ponting said: "One of the most important things to have as a coach is a deep understanding of any individual player and their techniques. Tim has worked with most of the young talent in the country at the CBCE and is well placed to guide that young talent. On a personal level I'm delighted, having played against Tim and having worked with him when he was assistant coach. We have an excellent working relationship and I'm looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead.''

Tarsh

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Now we just need a new academy head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.