Australian Survivor

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I blame survivor for almost ruining television.

The concept was interesting at first - put a bunch of people on a deserted island or wherever and have them play off against each other, and for the first dozen series, like the Amazing Race was good TV. But, like the Amazing Race and Top Gear, you start running out of ideas.

Unfortunately, the concepts of elimination and challenges etc carried over into every 2nd show from Masterchef to the Block.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There is a difference. With survivor, it's all about surviving. It's all about trust, and working together as a team and cutting out the weakest link. The concept of the weakest link not always being eliminated, having the show come down to who's more likeable by their fellow tribe members is what ruins the show. I believe the at every immunity challenge, there should be a way of determining who the strongest link is, and he/she should be immune from elimination. This only happens when there is a single tribe, but when there are 2 or 3 tribes like we should have here, this should apply.

The Block, Masterchef and even My Kitchen Rules copied the elimination concept from Survivor, but this is not a flaw on Survivors behalf. The game is called Survivor for a reason!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Survivor is staged (sorry to burst your bubble). It's as real as "I'm a Celebrity Geat me out of here because I have ordered a massage at 3pm this afternoon in my suite".

Consider two words in all these shows: Liability, and, Insurance.

Insurance companies need to underwrite any TV production to cover them against major fuckups that seriously injure or impair for life a contestant. Even waivers do not absolve them of this.

Then there are the lawyers that need to ensure liability is not possible ...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Survivor is staged (sorry to burst your bubble). It's as real as "I'm a Celebrity Geat me out of here because I have ordered a massage at 3pm this afternoon in my suite".

Insurance companies need to underwrite any TV production to cover them against major fuckups that seriously injure or impair for life a contestant. Even waivers do not absolve them of this.

So you're saying they pick 24 contestants and randomly pick one to win $500,000?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So you're saying they pick 24 contestants and randomly pick one to win $500,000?
There's usually contests. In shows like Survivor it's likely mostly chosen by how they compete, it's just that it's not really survival. Things are re-shot, they are provided with and stuff while not shooting, stunt doubles are used in certain situations.

With some shows like Big Brother they say that it's down to a public vote to see who stays but realistically they choose to keep the people who will boost the ratings the most. That's why you often see someone who is hated by everyone but they stay on the show until the last few. The show basically creates a villain to boost ratings then ensures that they stay there. MKR is the biggest culprit with this. They have a villain every season who often sucks at cooking but somehow manages to get just enough points to stay until the end.

Wahesh

Reaction score
There's usually contests. In shows like Survivor it's likely mostly chosen by how they compete, it's just that it's not really survival. Things are re-shot, they are provided with and stuff while not shooting, stunt doubles are used in certain situations.

With some shows like Big Brother they say that it's down to a public vote to see who stays but realistically they choose to keep the people who will boost the ratings the most. That's why you often see someone who is hated by everyone but they stay on the show until the last few. The show basically creates a villain to boost ratings then ensures that they stay there. MKR is the biggest culprit with this. They have a villain every season who often sucks at cooking but somehow manages to get just enough points to stay until the end.
On that point, I remember the Indian curry munchas on MKR got the boot first round :tearsofjoy:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On that point, I remember the Indian curry munchas on MKR got the boot first round :tearsofjoy:
Yeah, that was a major failure for MKR. Everyone just didn't want to watch them 'cause they weren't evil, they were just annoying.

The Mrs watches it and last season they had this chick that the Mrs kept saying "They better boot her soon, she's such a bitch". The chick was drop dead gorgeous and evil so I could see would have pumped the ratings up massively.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Honestly the girls in that show... I cannot handle how HOT they are. They showed Flick yesterday and man has she got a decent pair on her :D :D :D

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
With survivor they give them food, accommodation, etc. Only a few hours filming a day in jungle.

Ever wondered how most remain clean shaven and groomed?

MKR is a scam. They use TV cooks off screen to make the meals and show snippets of the contestants helping out as "cooking". They don't even use their own houses, they are all rented for filming.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brooke - Looks like the same person that broke Cronks nose slugged hers with a left hook. What a beak.
Problem with girls that have big noses is, if you have a 'd' as tiny as mine, all she can do is lick the tip, before she "bottoms out".

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Can't be all resorts and buffets. Most contestants lose 10-20 kilos.

Wahesh

Reaction score
With survivor they give them food, accommodation, etc. Only a few hours filming a day in jungle.

Ever wondered how most remain clean shaven and groomed?
Clearly...

Before:

Now:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He already got a beard though, so is unlikely to be clean shaven.

Saw some of this last night watching Gogglebox... the woman are rough... all of them.

Wahesh

Reaction score
His now photo is clearly thicker. As you watch the episodes, you notice it with the men... their beards gradually get thicker with each passing day. And their bellies thinner. Well everyone gets thinner really.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't mean they sleep in the bush or anything, just that he is told not to shave by production team. It's still very cleanly trimmed.

It's like beauty and the geek, they get told not to cut hair or groom coming up to filming.

Wahesh

Reaction score
That doesn't mean they sleep in the bush or anything, just that he is told not to shave by production team. It's still very cleanly trimmed.

It's like beauty and the geek, they get told not to cut hair or groom coming up to filming.
Do you really think people will go through all of that, get eliminated in a staged game, get no money, and not squeal to the media about it?