Australian Politics - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just want politicians to keep their fkn word and actually do their job to serve the people and not just themselves and the ones that line their pockets with dirty money.

I know it's too much to ask... I know there never has and never will be a perfect government but FFS I'll take a semi-decent government, it would be a massive improvement then what we have and have had before.
The biggest problem for all of us is the system of politics in Australia. The mandate appears to be if you are opposition disagree and block everything and if you are in power spend the whole term telling everyone what a shit job the last mob did.

I have said it before but I would love fixed 3 or 4 year terms. Elections would have a compulsory release of all government or opposition policy 3 months before the election day with at least 5 policy's that are put forward by each that have uninterrupted funding and approval regardless of who is the majority in the senate if they get elected.

This gives the winning party a set time to implement their vision and the rest of us time to properly evaluate how they have done running the country. If they suck they get booted.

I would also have a salary cap and limits on party advertising (donations) and set debate forums that are shared between the networks evenly.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
The biggest problem for all of us is the system of politics in Australia. The mandate appears to be if you are opposition disagree and block everything and if you are in power spend the whole term telling everyone what a shit job the last mob did.

I have said it before but I would love fixed 3 or 4 year terms. Elections would have a compulsory release of all government or opposition policy 3 months before the election day with at least 5 policy's that are put forward by each that have uninterrupted funding and approval regardless of who is the majority in the senate if they get elected.

This gives the winning party a set time to implement their vision and the rest of us time to properly evaluate how they have done running the country. If they suck they get booted.

I would also have a salary cap and limits on party advertising (donations) and set debate forums that are shared between the networks evenly.
And lower the price of tractor batteries lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
opposition policy 3 months before the election day with at least 5 policy's that are put forward by each that have uninterrupted funding and approval regardless of who is the majority in the senate if they get elected.
How's that workable though? Policies are known to have policy lag (the time that the effect of the policies are finally seen) and that on average takes 12 months. Don't get me wrong, completely agree and would love to see something like this, but in real worlds terms, the outcomes of policies aren't usually seen until plus 12 months.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I agree.

But....you have to offer some answers.

You have to place your trust in someone.

Often it's a case of picking the least corrupt party and the one whose values you most closely align with ...but you can't just throw your hands up and say they are all crooks, even if it is true....one of them is going to run the country whether we think they are all bullshit artists or not.

My main concern is making the governing party accountable no matter who.

A lot of experts in statuatory law, ex judges in the Centre For Public Integrity think this is the most corrupt Govt in Australia's history :(
I do. I generally back the Science Party. But even they have issues. The main issue being that they'll never be a party of influence. They'll never even get a representative in the house.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

And set 4 year terms for elections on the same date. Not at the whim of those in power averaging 2 and a half year terms and the bloody extra cost for it.

And fixed max 8 year terms for all pollies.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How's that workable though? Policies are known to have policy lag (the time that the effect of the policies are finally seen) and that on average takes 12 months. Don't get me wrong, completely agree and would love to see something like this, but in real worlds terms, the outcomes of policies aren't usually seen until plus 12 months.
Both the government and the opposition have plenty of time during a 3 or 4 year term to be ready to release their respective policy agendas 3 months out from the next election. They could have an announcement similar to budget hand downs or could both release them on the same day 3 months before the election.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know you disagree with what I always say, but seriously both sides are hypocritical fuckwits. They can excuse their side and condemn the other side for the same shit, just to keep the sheep occupied so they stay divided and not look at the more important issues.
You not wrong mate.
Who ever is in power is always the bad guy.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Same shit as always bro, he baits Hacky, the Captain, then me lol
My man you’ve known what ’He Who Cannot Be Named’..was for years..a Troll of the highest order.. it’s so obvious what he does.. Great entertainment from the sidelines..but @wendog33 got the best response..ignore. That frustrates a Troll more than anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.