News Australia’s Rugby Sevens star Lachie Miller is chasing more than just a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Australia’s Rugby Sevens star Lachie Miller is chasing more than just a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.

He also wants to show NRL clubs he is worthy of a contract to play league as a halfback.

Miller has put a new two-year offer from the Australian Rugby Union on hold until after the Olympics when he will decide his future.

Type ‘Lachie Miller highlights’ into You Tube and you will find the most stunning action footage — speed, explosive acceleration, elusiveness and a beautiful passing game. The 28-year-old Olympian, who leaves for Tokyo on Monday, is a born and bred ‘leaguey’ from Coffs Harbour .

It wasn’t until rugby’s legendary Ella brothers Mark, Gary and Glen, held their sevens tournament in Coffs Harbour four years ago that Miller’s career took off.

“I played in Glen’s team in the Ella 7’s,” Miller said. “He told me I’ve got some talent and should be playing for Randwick in Sydney and sevens footy.
“I got into the development system with the ARU and then a contract to play sevens.” While the Aussies are rated a genuine hope and Miller has thrown his efforts into the campaign, he still has this incredible passion for league. “I’ve always played league at halfback, fullback or hooker and loved running the football,” he said.
“That’s sevens footy. Heaps of running, plenty of space, but it’s really hard.

“The contact isn’t as physical as NRL but in the sevens it’s short and sharp and you’re constantly sprinting — it’s a different fitness to rugby league.” Miller is looked after by Joe Wehbe and Anthony Field in the same stable that manages NRL superstars James Tedesco and Daly Cherry Evans. “My focus is a gold medal and we’re definitely a chance,” Miller said, “plus my family and our new baby, Billy.

I’m now thinking about setting up for my future. “Obviously the Olympics could open some doors.

I’ve always dreamt of playing NRL. The new rules could really suit me with the faster game and more fatigue. “Union have been great and offered me an extension. “I’ve just parked everything until after Tokyo to ensure I’ll be fully focused for Tokyo.”

I'm not saying we should sign him I played against him from under 13s till 18s when I gave the game a way and then took up reffing hahaha bad choice on my part. But he was one of the most talented half's in group 2 coming through the grades he was with the Broncos Academy at the age of 12 he was supposed to sign with dragons after he took Coffs Harbour u18s to a grandfinal victory but done his acl he stuck around the group 2 area for a while after that a won a couple of 1st grade grandfinals and then later on moved to Sawtell to captain coach them to a major finals as the article says can play many positions and do that really well a hooker five-eighth or fullback really strong kicking game and great vision I reckon he would be a handy pick up for any club despite his age

Last edited:

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shame in regards to his age. I agree that they won’t take him because of that. But he he sure can move, thanks for advising us to look at YouTube - he can move.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he could make a real go at NRL hooker, he's Cook fast, good vision and has a great passing game. Looking forward to watching him in the Olympics.

Always a Bulldog

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Train trial, bush footy is good comp these days yes lot slower but if he's fit enough for olympic 7s train trial we need anomalies its what sport is about...twists turns.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
At his age, with no first grade experience, I suspect he'd be another Flanagan.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it, these old Rugby players say they want to test themselves yadda yadda yadda, but offer them big money playing yawnion in Japan and they'll leap at it.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having ticked off the goal of representing Australia at the Tokyo Olympics, Sevens rugby star Lachlan Miller is closing in on achieving another in the form of a start in the NRL with Cronulla.
Miller is deep in negotiations with the Sharks, with the parties close to finalising a two-year deal. The 27-year-old had a lucrative deal on the table to join the LA Giltinis, the American Major League Rugby franchise coached by former Wallaby Stephen Hoiles.
The opportunity held appeal, and Miller came close to signing, but he had a strong desire to have one last crack in rugby league. Several NRL clubs had expressed interest, but a conversation last week with incoming Cronulla coach Craig Fitzgibbon is expected to deliver Miller to the Shire.
Miller has a background in the 13-player game, having played it until the age of 22. The Coffs Harbour product switched codes when Wallaby great Glen Ella identified him during a series of standout performances in an Ella 7s tournament. Since then, he has been a mainstay of the Australian Sevens squad, a role that has allowed him to travel around the world.
However, he is keen to settle in Sydney following the birth of his first child before the Olympics and wants to make his mark in the game he first took up at the age of 10.
Miller played in the halves, hooker and at fullback in league before transitioning into the centres in Sevens. The former Sawtell Panther will provide Fitzgibbon, preparing for his first season as a head coach, with cover across the back line.
“I always thought I would play rugby league my whole life and had aspirations of playing in the NRL until sevens came along,” Miller told the Herald in July.

“It was always a dream and aspiration to play in the NRL. The desire to give it a crack and see if I’m good enough is definitely still there.

You watch the NRL now and some of the things the players are doing now is ridiculous, but I’d love to give it a crack one day.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This kents going to get smashed up if he plays
He will handle it he got more talent then some of the half's running around in the nrl atm Kyle Flanagan ,Luke brooks ,Matt Moylan Cowboys half's ,Drew Hutchinson ,Tyson Gamble Lachlan Lewis, Sam Williams, Sean O'Sullivan,Lachlan Lam. Just to name a few his a athlete he will do well I'm happy to be proved wrong