Opinion Aussie Muscle Cars

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Weighing up between a Ford or Holden V8 ute.

There seem to be more Holden's available in manual so I am leaning towards that.

Have V8's come down in price with fuel going up? Or is it better to save the cash and go for a straight or v6 option in this inflated market?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the statement about Holden for V8 and Ford for 6 cylinder.

Both LS and Barra have plenty of aftermarket support here. Go and drive both and see what you feel more comfortable in.

If manual transmission (in V8 format) is important, I have a feeling that there may be more Holden's available but I could be wrong on that.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, you should be able to get a good VF 6 or 6.2L V8 depending on the build year...VE's are 10 years old now so not sure what vintage you seek?

Turbo Fords are the go over a V8 plus I think they stopped making them well before 2010(not sure when)

I have a 6L manual VE Thunder model its properly tuned with a bigger exhaust and intake so maybe buy one with at least a far better than stock exhaust etc..Or be prepared to spend some $$ on sorting that.
I dunno why folks(blokes)buy auto's I haven't owned one ever, bought my first manual a Gemini 40 years ago :hearteyes:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Holden is 100x better except for one vital factor. With Holden production finishing in Australia, parts are becoming more scarce.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weighing up between a Ford or Holden V8 ute.

There seem to be more Holden's available in manual so I am leaning towards that.

Have V8's come down in price with fuel going up? Or is it better to save the cash and go for a straight or v6 option in this inflated market?
V6?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Soon to be classic series 3 VS SS ute, get dynode for fuel economy, or even the ecotecs hammer with exhaust on premium, classic looks with the power to match

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Holden is 100x better except for one vital factor. With Holden production finishing in Australia, parts are becoming more scarce.
Not really bro, LS parts are plentiful from Murika.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really bro, LS parts are plentiful from Murika.
Yeah, but are they plentiful in Australia?

I don't know too much about it myself, but was chatting with a mechanic mete who said that they predict that it'll be difficult to get parts in a few years.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
VE SS Walkinshaw for sure....

Screenshot_20230211_232945_Gallery.jpg

Currently DE-tuned down to 330rwkws, God willing after Easter I'll put it back to a safe tune of 437rwkws. 330 got boring lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, but are they plentiful in Australia?

I don't know too much about it myself, but was chatting with a mechanic mete who said that they predict that it'll be difficult to get parts in a few years.
I've never had problems up to now tbh

Got told by a few mechanics that Murkia send a heap of parts here for the LS2, LS3 and LSA as they are up to LS7 over there.