Attack looking good.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Souths fans may well be asking the same question, after a bottom dwelling team scored some easy tries against them, with less possession.
I have'nt rated Souths all season
Still does'nt take the fact away our defence was putrid today

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our defence was brilliant at times. We were under the hammer, with repeat sets bombarding our line, and managed to stifle a few certain tries by tackling our hearts out and marching them over the side line. The tries that Souths scored were from some brilliant play, and a bit of luck with bounce of the ball.

Had Averillo got the bounce of the ball, we would have been 12 points clear in the second half - but the ball bounced for Souths a few times tonight, and their "hail Mary" passes came off. That's just luck, and it wasn't favouring us. Maybe next week it will.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Scoring 28 points in a game you are expected to win most then you lose. Our defence needs work. But what I’m really loving at the moment is the way we actually think about our attack and we move teams around and wear them out instead of doing the old up the guts one out shit. We are actually attacking 3/4 in a set of 6 and having players in motion something I haven’t seen a dogs side do in years.

Malla

Reaction score
Averillo is great in attack when he runs however few times he called for the ball to run a play on the blindside when we did not have any numbers - he probably needs to stop that and just focus on running
Also his defence is concerning. Did not look like he wanted any part of the ball for Illias' first try. Stood there and watched. Positional play needs a lot of work and I don't think he's the best communicator. I think it was the try that levelled the score at 28all, there was a gap as big as watsons bay up the middle and Averillo did nothing to communicate to our defensive line for numbers in the middle. Small shit like that he needs plenty of work but understandable given he's trained most of the year at half. Either way looks promising.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our defence is there we just don’t have the fitness, we looked gassed at the tail end against the Bunnies and additionally, our players don’t think we’ll under fatigue, a few times there guys just switched off, you can’t give up plays against the good teams, especially an attacking minded team like South’s

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I saw, the errors in defence are slight adjustments, nothing major.

When the opposition kicks a bomb that lands in an unthreatening position (I.e more than 10m from try line or near the sideline) I have no problem if our guys let it be taken by the opposition. To me it's the correct play. But.... they must absolutely be prepared to wrap that player up immediately when he hits the ground or wait and bundle him out of the sideline.

The only time they should take the bomb is when there is no one within 10m of them and they get a solid go at it and under no pressure.

IMO I don't think it was criminal to allow the souths guy (Tass I think) to get the ball, but it was poor defending to allow him to get a pass to Johnston.

The effort plays on the Ilias try and the Latrell try are the ones where Potter needs to get the guys to be more alert and better.

Someone one here made the point that Souths scored 3 tries on last tackle. That says to me that some of our players slacken off on the last play thinking the predictable kick to the wings will happen.

We fell apart defensively when that big forward crashed over under the posts. The middles were very lazy/ tired to allow such a massive gap for him to stroll over.

It was the more disappointing lapse for me as we had just re-taken the lead only to give up so meekly

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score

When the opposition kicks a bomb that lands in an unthreatening position (I.e more than 10m from try line or near the sideline) I have no problem if our guys let it be taken by the opposition. To me it's the correct play. But.... they must absolutely be prepared to wrap that player up immediately when he hits the ground or wait and bundle him out of the sideline.

The only time they should take the bomb is when there is no one within 10m of them and they get a solid go at it and under no pressure.

IMO I don't think it was criminal to allow the souths guy (Tass I think) to get the ball, but it was poor defending to allow him to get a pass to Johnston.

The effort plays on the Ilias try and the Latrell try are the ones where Potter needs to get the guys to be more alert and better.

Someone one here made the point that Souths scored 3 tries on last tackle. That says to me that some of our players slacken off on the last play thinking the predictable kick to the wings will happen.

We fell apart defensively when that big forward crashed over under the posts. The middles were very lazy/ tired to allow such a massive gap for him to stroll over.

It was the more disappointing lapse for me as we had just re-taken the lead only to give up so meekly
As Gus says
if u let the ball bounce , your inviting dissapointment into your life

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

They were still trying to get back onside in that try and very slow attempt to form a defensive line on our tryline.

Gassed or some guys just not playing the full 80 minutes effort required. Souths are excellent and very experienced at broken play support and we couldn't handle that aspect.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's weird because I'd rather be a good attacking side, and shit at defense, than the other way round. At least it's more entertaining to watch but yeah some of those tries we conceded were putrid

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks to our new enterprising attack we have the best F&A of all the bottom 5 sides

We should win next week to jump to 12th then win the week after to cement 12th

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks to our new enterprising attack we have the best F&A of all the bottom 5 sides

We should win next week to jump to 12th then win the week after to cement 12th
Our for and against should have us in 11th and equal 8th thanks to those games we lost where we pretty much had for the taking....eg Souths, Dragons, manly, Broncos........

If we go into 2023 with the same Potter instilled attitude no matter who coaches us.....then Top 8 is minimal.

May I add that that the Potter Coached 2nd half of the season is the Coaching Audit TBallz can't hide from.

I just hope we continue the remainder of the season with the same attitude.

Next week however will be the telling on whether we suck again.