Atmosphere at games - an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I was thinking in one of my drunken states as I do....

How about the Dogs give say 100 people free season tickets in the Kennel, if they sing/chant every game.

The Dogs I am sure could get some good tunes/chants, even if they are stealing from the English crowds, to create that atmosphere that they get overseas.

Personally I think within a couple of seasons, most of the crowd will know the songs/chants off by heart, and hopefully the Dogs crowds will start singing these songs/chants by themselves.

Ultimately this will improve the atmosphere at games, and hopefully lead to increased crowds who want to feel the passion at the games.

Thoughts? Or even better some tunes/chants you would love sung at games

BTW "Who lets the Dogs out" is ruled out from the start.

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
great concept...anything to create a better atmosphere at games i am all for

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
great concept...anything to create a better atmosphere at games i am all for
The way I see it, AFL is coming to Sydney, and Rugby League unless it starts engaging the crowd in a different way, could very well become union in 30 years time without some thinking outside the square. You have to make the sport have that "special" feeling about it. In England, every Rugby League game you watch has the crowd chanting and singing. I would love to recreate that in Australia. Not to mention how intimidating it would be to other teams playing the Bulldogs, would make that home ground advantage a little more special.

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
Its a culture issue...AFL has a culture of going to games in numbers
English Soccer fans have a culture of singing at games, which makes the best atmosphere IMO
And League fans are pretty "uncultured" in a way in that they don't get out to games.
QLD League fans on the other hand have a bit of a better culture of getting out to games, eg, tonights game pulling 40-50,000 whatever it is

Its like Sydney people don't give a stuff

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Good idea, but would it get lost in a stadium like ANZ?
Thus why I said start the 100 people in the Kennel section. I am sure the most passionate supporters sit there already, and hopefully we would have a section that starts the singing and the others join in. It doesn't take much to learn the words if you keep it simple (like any good chant should be), and if you have those making the effort, others will join in. Just have to make it entertaining/catchy.

Having been to many belisode cups games when the crowd starting singing Waltzing Maltida (I was at the first in 1999 when they started doing that), it creates a special feeling at the event, and makes you long to go back.

Christabella

Reaction score
They don't need to give out free tickets to do this. Those who sign up for Kennel Memberships already do so with the intention of making their voices heard.

Myself along with Byrd and Jaybee lobbied the club to move the Kennel to a better location in the stadium in order to improve the atmosphere and hopefully it has the desired effect.

80fic...

Thus why I said start the 100 people in the Kennel section. I am sure the most passionate supporters sit there already, and hopefully we would have a section that starts the singing and the others join in. It doesn't take much to learn the words if you keep it simple (like any good chant should be), and if you have those making the effort, others will join in. Just have to make it entertaining/catchy.

Having been to many belisode cups games when the crowd starting singing Waltzing Maltida (I was at the first in 1999 when they started doing that), it creates a special feeling at the event, and makes you long to go back.
rofl, waltzing matilda, that is the gayest chant/song in world sport, tbh it makes australians sound like poofs, especially after watching the haka.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
rofl, waltzing matilda, that is the gayest chant/song in world sport, tbh it makes australians sound like poofs, especially after watching the haka.
Yep. thats what happens when it's your only song. It was great the first couple of times, but when it's your only tune, it becomes boring fast.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
They don't need to give out free tickets to do this. Those who sign up for Kennel Memberships already do so with the intention of making their voices heard.

Myself along with Byrd and Jaybee lobbied the club to move the Kennel to a better location in the stadium in order to improve the atmosphere and hopefully it has the desired effect.
How about getting some of the some chants on here. Would be good for people to know the words so they can join in. Maybe something we can have a section for on this site. People can create new tunes, and if popular/good, we can use them at the game. I would sign up for Kennel membership if we could sing/chant for nearly the whole 80 minutes.

D_sab

Ballboy
Reaction score
theres too many teams in sydney... should be called the NSWRL instead of NRL...

u have english teams with 4 teams to a suburb... and every game theres 50-60k ppl going. Australia will never have that kind of atmosphere cuz our population isn't dense enough...

We'd need a homeground like back at belmore or something in the form of a fortress... Titans ground is pretty good for that (back in round 1)

ultimately you have families going to the games not hooligans.

I've been watching some English Super league games and the atmosphere in their games are gettin bigger and better.

sad to say but NRL is slowly deteriorating only becuase of the popularity of other sports like Football and the AFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christabella

Reaction score
I believe there have been a few already posted in the Kennel Superthread.

I guess if they take off on game day we can give them some greater acknowledgement here.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lmao yeh.. theres always that bald guy in the crowd with his guitar singing it.. no offence (im sure none taken) but its **** hahaha.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
lmao yeh.. theres always that bald guy in the crowd with his guitar singing it.. no offence (im sure none taken) but its **** hahaha.
Have to agree. Once they saw the effect the first time, they made sure John Williamson started it when appropriate.

Thus why if the Kennel is to do this, they must have 5-8 chants to use to start with. As I said, would be good to have a section here where all the words are available so there is little confusion over that. Really would love to see this happen.

80fic...

offence will be taken, there is always some gronk on here that will be offended.

but seriously what is the point of singing a poof tune after watching the haka. it honestly has to be the gayest thing I have ever witnessed at a football match, next they will have a wallabies float at madi gras.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dunno if this is on topic, but i LOVE the barmy army from england who follow their cricket team. They are fantastic, I can hardly understand what they are singing but still!! I love how they stand and clap and chant 'barmy army' for 20 minutes straight!!

80fic...

Have to agree. Once they saw the effect the first time, they made sure John Williamson started it when appropriate.

Thus why if the Kennel is to do this, they must have 5-8 chants to use to start with. As I said, would be good to have a section here where all the words are available so there is little confusion over that. Really would love to see this happen.

I'm sure the chants that the kennel members will be singing will be much better than waltzing matilda tbh, i would be embarassed to be a bulldogs supporter if I started to hear some *** **** like that coming out of the kennel.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I'm sure the chants that the kennel members will be singing will be much better than waltzing matilda tbh, i would be embarassed to be a bulldogs supporter if I started to hear some *** **** like that coming out of the kennel.
Oh for sure. We have plenty of talented individuals as members of the Bulldogs. Would love to see a big effort made to make numerous chants that we can use at games.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
offence will be taken, there is always some gronk on here that will be offended.

but seriously what is the point of singing a poof tune after watching the haka. it honestly has to be the gayest thing I have ever witnessed at a football match, next they will have a wallabies float at madi gras.
Thats Rugby Union grasping a straws. They have never had an original idea in there life. It was the crowd who made it happen the first time, and after that Union tried to milk it for all it's worth.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol pftttt everytime i join in on the chant it dies down and im left red faced haha

Status
Not open for further replies.