Ask a bulldogs old timer....

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I go back to the early 1950s. That stand was the original MA Noble stand from the SCG. It was removed and re-assembled brick by brick at Belmore - yes it was brick, with a timber floor. The walls are still part of the current Stewart Stand.
Funniest memory at Belmore. Probably early 60's
A goal kick at the southern end and a guy walks into the ground through turnstyles and the ball hits him square in the face at the doorway.
Bang KO.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
A goal kick at the southern end and a guy walks into the ground through turnstyles and the ball hits him square in the face at the doorway.
Bang KO.
At the brand new ground, in an evening pre season game, Merv Hicks crashed over for a try at the southern end of the ground - he took the referee with him. The ref, Col Pearce, was taken off with broken ribs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the ground that day and I just wish there was some video or such of that tackle.
Was that the same day he caught a line dropout 40 yards out and kicked a field goal?
Unbelievable LJ was a champion. He produce so many plays that would be on any highlight rule.
Crazy he was placed behind Keith Barnes and Eric Simms for the rep games because goal kicking at the time was as (or more) important as scoring tries.
I'm pretty sure that field goal was at Leichhardt Oval. The ref wasn't sure that it went over, but saw Keith Barnes applaud the kick, so awarded it.
We don't see that sort of sportsmanship these days.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bang KO.
Did he have to go for a HIA?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Johns was also a decent cricketer playing as a batsman in first grade for over 20 years. He scored back to back centuries in his final season first-grade cricket in 1986, at 43 years old.

Peter “Bullfrog” Moore: “Johns could almost pull off the impossible, and always did the unpredictable.”

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Johns was also a decent cricketer playing as a batsman in first grade for over 20 years. He scored back to back centuries in his final season first-grade cricket in 1986, at 43 years old.

Peter “Bullfrog” Moore: “Johns could almost pull off the impossible, and always did the unpredictable.”
Was John's as good as everyone says? My old man only saw the end of his career and couldn't tell me much about him

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Was John's as good as everyone says? My old man only saw the end of his career and couldn't tell me much about him
I only have vague memories myself but yes he was. You could say it is all relevent. When he played he was a revelation in attack with short chip and chase and elusive running...especially noticeable in a Berries team lol and he could tackle.

In today's game he probably wouldnt stand out due to the improved athleticism of guys similar to comparing Murray Rose to Ian Thorpe, or Mack Horton, in distance swimming.

But its all relevent to their era they played in and he was pretty much our first superstar x factor and top bloke and will forever be known as our Golden Boy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hearing Ross Conlons leg snap and saying to my GF - was that your thighs flexing, u must be horny (yeah - bit one sighted back then)
I used to practice my conversions at the park based on Ross Conlon’s style. He was a quality kicker in the days before Halligan and El Masri. Of course when he moved to the Tigers and played against us in the ‘88 GF he was dead to me. So one eyed back then :-).

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first game I went to was at Belmore. against the Magpies was in April 1981. It was a cold, drizzly and misty day and my most vivid memory was just watching Greg Brentnall catch and run from fullback.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The first game I went to was at Belmore. against the Magpies was in April 1981. It was a cold, drizzly and misty day and my most vivid memory was just watching Greg Brentnall catch and run from fullback.

Two of our very good fullbacks playing that game :grinning:

Brentnall and Turvey had some very innovative trick kicks at the time.

Memory failing but does anyone remember a penalty we got near opposition try line and Turvey turned his back and faced our try line kicked the ball backwards high over everyones head into the ingoal and a try was scored?

He said Brentnall showed him how to kick like that.

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Memory failing but doez anyone remember a penalty we got near opposition try line and Turvey turned his back and faced our try line kicked the ball backwards high over everyones head into the ingoal and a try was scored?

i recall Brentnall doing it in an Amco Cup match before he joined the dogs/ berries

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
i recall Brentnall doing it in an Amco Cup match before he joined the dogs/ berries
Probably so...but I do recall Turvey also.

I wonder why they didnt do it more often.

Maybe Burto can do it for us next year lol

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with thedogs but in a city country game a player taking a tap facing away from the defendrers stuck the ball under his jersey - cant remember if he scored - apparently it was happening in union at the time in rucks

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Memory failing but does anyone remember a penalty we got near opposition try line and Turvey turned his back and faced our try line kicked the ball backwards high over everyones head into the ingoal and a try was scored?

I remember something like that, but like you, flat out remembering last week. :astonished:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So Just thought Id start up a memory thread of sorts to go through it all, bygone eras.

For example, we once had a player named Craig Polla Mounter. Melbourne born, QLD childhood, NSW teens. Good little nuggety player. Hard to tell what race he was as he had that look that could have been Leb, Greek, Anglo. Who knows.
he was with us for ten years before going to the cowboys, then returned to say Bye. Once nearly kicked a 50m field goal.

These are examples of memories lost in time as the younger generation talk about newer legends like Kimmorley, Pritchard, Graham, DWZ, Mason etc
So thought if open up the floor to ask the old timers here (anyone can pitch in, not just myself) about anything and how things were back in the day.
You cant bring up te 90s without mentioning Mark Brokenshire..
l_1994 series 1 card0035.jpeg

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
OIP (1).jpg

late bloomer didn't really hit his straps until nearly 25 but i rated this fella, deceptively quick and evasive..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For example, we once had a player named Craig Polla Mounter. Melbourne born, QLD childhood, NSW teens. Good little nuggety player. Hard to tell what race he was as he had that look that could have been Leb, Greek, Anglo. Who knows.
he was with us for ten years before going to the cowboys, then returned to say Bye. Once nearly kicked a 50m field goal.
The moment Pollamounter thought he kicked the 50metre goal..
r0_0_2376_1536_w576_h298_fmax.jpg