Ask a bulldogs old timer....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
90’s…. Old timer?

I go to 1968.

Before the Steward stand there was just an asphalt hill. And behind that asphalt hill there was a shitbox dilapidated wooden firetrap grandstand, not in use, from the time the ground was a true oval. it had the change rooms in it. And you could peek through the cracks in the joint to observe the teams warming up and getting half time talks etc.

And someone put a Tarzan rope on that grandstand which the kids had a great time on, until one day a kid.. not me.. fell off and went through the splintered floorboards up to his armpits, they had to power saw him out of it.
I go back to the early 1950s. That stand was the original MA Noble stand from the SCG. It was removed and re-assembled brick by brick at Belmore - yes it was brick, with a timber floor. The walls are still part of the current Stewart Stand.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s funny how a certain game really turns you into a mad supporter as a young fella
I remember being absolutely gutted losing to the raiders in the 94 gf
I think that was the point for me I went from loving the dogs as a kid to a blue and white tyrant lol
The game that turned me into a bulldogs nut was against roosters in 2003. The utai slam. I was 9 years old and remember for the next week I was practicing my utai slam in the backyard against my brother

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The walls are still part of the current Stewart Stand.
I don’t know how that would be possible? The thing was positioned for when the ground was an oval, so it was sorta waaaay back there and on an odd angle.

Not challenging you on it, just don’t get how it would work.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Dad started taking me to Dogs games at Belmore in the mid 70s when I was probably around 12. Steve Mortimer was always great both in attack (including his chip and chase) and the best cover defender I've ever seen. George Peponis would score tries virtually every time he got a play the ball right on the opposition tryline. One of my favourites was a tough second rower called Steve Hage. I still remember a game against the Sharks. A Sharks forward Steve Kneen (who played for Australia) gave Hage a bit of a tap on the head as Hage was playing the ball. The next time Kneen took a hit-up and Hage tackled him I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. I always liked hard second rowers who could hit hard.

I remember a game in the 70s against Manly when 3 players were sent off in the one game (Max Krillich - Manly hooker, Peponis, and Hage)

I remember being at the game at the SCG against Souths where Peter Kelly was sent off in the first minute and we still won the game

I remember that great comeback win against the Eels in a semi when we were down like 18-2 with only 9 minutes left

I remember the record breaking streak of wins in 2002 when our fast defence would make good teams and usually great players look ordinary / full of mistakes. That's what line speed pressure can do

I've watched all the Grand Finals wins since 1980. We've won the comp 6 times since I've been a supporter. Makes it harder to accept the way we are now I think.

Some of my favourite players over the years

Steve Mortimer. Have bumped into him a few times over the years around Revesby (pub, service station) and one of the Easter Show signing days when I was at school
Steve Hage - hard c..t
Mick Potter - great sidestep and always stepped the first defender when bringing the ball back from his own end
Hazem El Masri - he started off with real pace and ability to break the line (why we started calling him Magic) but he seemed to become slower for the majority of his career. One of the best goalickers of course and always great at coming in off his wing to shut down opposition backline raids
Steve O'Brien - a great winger who could step and had strength to break tackles
Allan Geelan - the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comp in reserve grade he looked like he was going to be a star but he never lived up to it unfortunately
Mal Creevey - fast tiny half-back in the same reserve grade winning comp team. I remember one week where he scored 3 tries in reserve grade then was called up for first grade and scored another 3 (so 6 same day)
Jason Williams - fast winger with a fantastic side step
Jamal Idris - one of the best fends I've ever seen. I remember a game where he played all over Greg Inglis. I watched the highlights again recently
David Gillespie - could really smash players in defence
Dean Pay - could really smash in defence too. I remember that semi final when he smashed Glen Lazarus out of the game.
Geoff Robinson - man without fear. Hardest running forward. I remember a reserve grade game when someone tapped him on the head while he was playing the ball and he charged into 3 guys swinging punches at them all
Ewan McGrady - like Ben Barba in his day. Brilliant side step and lightning acceleration
Mark Brokenshire - underrated prop who was one of the best hitters we ever had also
Solomon Haumono - could smash people in defence and also break tackle after tackle in attack
Steve Folkes - could hit really well in defence for a smaller forward. Great technique. I used to learn karate at a gym he owned near Belmore for a while in the early 80s I think. He was always there.
Terry Lamb - never saw him play a bad game (even the one where he kicked a field goal late in the game when we were behind by 2 points. Best support player EVER. Tough as when tackling big forwards
Mark O'Meley - only player who could knock out opposing players while he was carrying the ball. Tough as. I remember a game where he came back from a broken jaw in NZ against the Warriors. He wasn't the least bit gun shy. Virtually took on the whole Warriors forward pack all by himself
Sonny Bill Williams - after only a few games in his first season of first grade I thought he was the best forward I'd ever seen. Every time he touched the ball he did something special. He started getting injured a a lot because he was always trying to twist and break tackles. I read he was advised to slow down for his own health. Loved his shoulder charge especially the one against the Panthers prop (can't remember his name). I was at that game.
Jason Hetherington - Hardest tackling hooker I've ever seen.
Sam Kasiano - loved watching him break tackles
Nigel Vagana - his 5 tries in that game against Souths I'll always remember. Best centre in the comp for a few years. Fast and great side step
Frank Pritchard - loved when he knocked out Wade Graham and someone else with massive shoulder charges.
Matt UtaI - loved watching him prove virtually unstoppable for defenders. So strong
Josh Morris - could be magic in attack especially the first few season he played with us
Remis Smith - 1 great game against the Dragons
Ben Barba - simply brilliant. 2012 probably the best players I've ever seen. Was pure magic. What a shame he wasted many more years of such skills
Some great names, and great memories. I was at that Manly game where we had three sent off. We were up by about 8 points, and lost all three just after half time. I think one for a foul, and two for backchatting the ref. I also recall the winning try coming from a coathanger head high tackle on our fullback, who dropped the ball when he was laid out (no penalty against Manly).The Telegraph reported it as a courageous comeback win by Manly.

Stars who I remember seeing play were:
the legendary Les Johns - just brilliant in attack and defence. Always my number one player.
Ross Kidd - smart ball player
Terry Reynolds - first player to sport long hair
Merv Hicks - the "Pale Whale" a pommie forward who was Kasiano like, with stamina for a full game.
Leo Toohey - consistent and fearless
George Taylforth - long range goal kicking forward.
Johnny Greaves - big, tough centre
Kevin Ryan - the hardest forward I've seen play
Norm Thomas - involved in the try against Manly that even Rex Mossop called the try of the century, and earned us the nickname "the entertainers"
Johnny Rhodes - fast
Henry Tatana - powerful player.
Stan Cutler - could play any position in the backs
Garry Dowling- great fullback
All the Hughes boys
And who could forget Gus Gould, who gave us a premiership.

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I go back to the early 1950s. That stand was the original MA Noble stand from the SCG. It was removed and re-assembled brick by brick at Belmore - yes it was brick, with a timber floor. The walls are still part of the current Stewart Stand.
I still have the original sign from the dressing room from when this stand was demolished to build the “ new” stand.
Have not missed going to a Bulldogs final / GF since 1974. Have saved heaps of money in the past few years.

Attachments

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how that would be possible? The thing was positioned for when the ground was an oval, so it was sorta waaaay back there and on an odd angle.

Not challenging you on it, just don’t get how it would work.
No worries. I lived at Belmore, and watched the construction of the ground and new stand. The playing field was moved closer to the stands.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I’ll end up getting lung cancer from all the second hand smoke that came out of the wog stand when my dad took me to Belmore in the early 90’s. My first real memory was a Friday night game against Manly in 93 or 94 it was a absolute war and we won. I’d been to many games before that but the proper passion for the club was born that night for me.
I remember that game, electric atmosphere, I think we won 26-10 or 26-12. Pretty sure it was 94 as Manly surprised everyone with a fairly new team in 93 .... except for Lyons and Hasler.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started following the dogs as a child from the 1974 gf as the area was bulldogs territory and i was captivated by all the streamers, banners, balloons. Everything seemed surreal seeing many houses with decorations on their front windows.
However the semi final steak of 1979 was when me as a supporter and the way the team was never meant to win came of age.
After coping a thrashing by manly in the final round on a Saturday, all a favourite balmain had to do was dispose a lowly placed souths the next day. Souths win and we sneak into the top 5 by one point.
Every final game was meant to be our last yet we where giant killers. A completely different team. Sadly we lost the gf against the dragons and i was at the game crying. If Steve Gearin had somehow not missed 2 conversion attempts we could of played in extra time and i feel we win as we had all the momentum.
Can't blame Gearin, They where difficult kicks. 12 months later he played brilliantly scoring one of the best gf tries ever and kicking 6 from 6 and all of his kicks never looked like missing.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still have the original sign from the dressing room from when this stand was demolished to build the “ new” stand.
Have not missed going to a Bulldogs final / GF since 1974. Have saved heaps of money in the past few years.
I'm a jealous man

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back to 1980, there's an incriminating photo of me in St George gear for the 1979 grand final but I blame my mum for that. When I started school I saw the light and was photographed in a bulldogs jersey for the 1980 grand final.

Many great moments and games I was lucky enough to watch. Started attemding games regularly from about 1993 onwards, it was occasional before that relying mainly on tv and radio.

Favourites games I attended were probably:
the 95 semi series and grand final
the 98 series although the grand final was only good until half time
the 2004 series and grand final

Most enjoyable game to watch was the 1988 grand final as it was stress free - we had it won early and always looked comfortable.

Every grand final loss sucked went to all of them since 1998, felt like a death in the family at full time.

My favourite ground atmospheres were:
the 2004 grand final where the majority were Dogs supporters
the best was the 2012 grand final almost the whole ground was blue and white
Rooster 'home' semi in 1999 at the SFS where we outnumbered them 5-1 ... Adrian Lam even commented about it on TV
Belmore on a heaving big Friday night game.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started following the dogs as a child from the 1974 gf as the area was bulldogs territory and i was captivated by all the streamers, banners, balloons. Everything seemed surreal seeing many houses with decorations on their front windows.
However the semi final steak of 1979 was when me as a supporter and the way the team was never meant to win came of age.
After coping a thrashing by manly in the final round on a Saturday, all a favourite balmain had to do was dispose a lowly placed souths the next day. Souths win and we sneak into the top 5 by one point.
Every final game was meant to be our last yet we where giant killers. A completely different team. Sadly we lost the gf against the dragons and i was at the game crying. If Steve Gearin had somehow not missed 2 conversion attempts we could of played in extra time and i feel we win as we had all the momentum.
Can't blame Gearin, They where difficult kicks. 12 months later he played brilliantly scoring one of the best gf tries ever and kicking 6 from 6 and all of his kicks never looked like missing.
Similar story to Halligan, he kicked 1 from 5 for Norths in 91 semi and they missed the grand final by 2. Never missed after that he was epic for us in our finals games.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My first memory was being at the 1980 GF with my parents (Mum is Belmore born and bred).

Whilst I don’t specifically remember the moment of Steve Gearin’s signature try from the Greg Brentnall kick (we’ve all watched a million replays), I do remember Ted Glossop jumping up from his chair on the SCG sideline showing emotion he rarely showed. An exciting day and I’ve been hooked ever since.

At the 1984 GF as we were walking into the Noble Stand at the SCG decked out in our Bulldogs kit, we walked past Bullfrog who pinned a ‘Bulldogs to Win’ ribbon on my sister (who so think still has it).

1985 was a good year as I was at the Origin at the SCG when Turvey was chaired off for Captaining NSW to their first Origin series victory followed by winning the GF at the same ground a couple of months later.

Will never forget watching Ellery Hanley in Disneyland after Baa smashed him in the 1988 GF, the first one at the then new SFS. That sort of hit would see Baa sent off today, but then…also Mike Hagan’s great try that day - who later bought our old house when we moved, I was so happy a Bulldog player bought our house :-).

Countless Belmore memories from being there when Max Mannix ran the length of the field against Saints and dropped the ball over the line. Funnily enough the bloke who consoled him was Steve Gearin, our 1980 hero then playing for the Dragons. Max was quick but never recovered and didn’t play in the GF that year.

Was also there in ‘89 sitting with then Knights Chairman Michael Hill when Baa potted a field goal and the Dogs lost 12-11. We looked at each other with a ‘What The’ look. Baa swore he thought scores were level but the joke was he was cashing in on FootyTab (when betting was hardly the business it is today).

Was at Belmore in ‘91 when the ‘Welsh Wizard’ Jonathan Davies was playing fullback. Some of his mates from the UK turned up to surprise him and as he walked off the field at half time they were yelling ‘Jiffy!’ to him. He looked surprised and happy to see them and must’ve been thinking about post-game pints at the Belmore Hotel because he looked distracted in the second half, we dropped a lead and lost.

Speaking of Polly, he used to drive to training and had number plates CPM-007, which I’m sure was more his jersey number than for drinking martinis and wearing tuxedos but his team mates teased him mercilessly about that, asking where his ejector seat was etc :-).

So many memories, but this post is long enough…

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw my first game in 1958 at Kogarah Oval when it was unlimited tackles. Saints had just started their 11 year dynasty and had possession of the ball the entire first half. I have played the game under the unlimited tackle rule, 4 tackle rule and six tackle rule. I have refereed under 4 and 6 tackle rule.

Seen lots of players.

Best by far Les John's with Turvey Mortimer and Baa on an equal footing in second.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Greenacre boy I grew up in a family that was either St George or Canterbury supporters. I remember from a very young age my aunts used to take me to all the "Berries" games at Belmore that was around 1960-61. I have followed the blue and white ever since and have never supported any other team. Reading these posts from the older fans really brings back some great memories.