News Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Being a highly supported team who constantly in the media, clickbait articles everyday with bulldog jerseys everywhere is what a sponsors pays their money for. Our club provides that more than anyone so we are a good option for a sponsor. Increased performance places us in a higher bracket of sponsor value. We also don't need the money because our leagues club is rich
Marketing is all about aligning yourself with like minded brands. How many brands do you think want to be aligned with what our brand looks like now? If you have a look at all our current sponsors the only thing you will find in common is that the owners are all bulldogs supporters, and/or have some affiliation to the area/team. A proper independant sponsor doesn't work this way. They are looking for common brand values. We will get there with Gus and Warburton, but at the moment and the last few years we are far from it. Be thankful for all our current sponsors, especially Arthur. That's all I am saying.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My mistake.. Must have confused that with the Souths themed colours at one of his pubs somewhere..
Because of the Twin Willows he has had a realtionship with the Bulldogs and our players over the last 40 years.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, Laundy isn't entitled to an opinion. But the jackasses who endlessly mouth off in here, can say whatever drivel they like... OK.
Yeh he is entitled to his opinion but share it with the board not the media. Keep it professional and in house. I have never heard a sponsor come out like he does and chats openly with his issues to the media.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
We need to go back to the leagues club being the main sponsor. Just until we get things running in-house. The main sponsor (Laundy) shows everyone he thinks he has more rights by flashing cash. Which is sad, seemed ok at first. But now too involved. He’s not the only option for a main sponsor when we have Gus as the CEO. We need to learn from all our club mistakes and reset. We start again from scratch. The rest of the year, they should play around with some plays. The players who don’t want to stay - some will be sad to see go. But like all our workplaces. If you don’t like working somewhere, it’s best for everyone if you go. Nothing personal, it’s business.
we need to bring back HYUNDAI, they were the glory days.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Marketing is all about aligning yourself with like minded brands. How many brands do you think want to be aligned with what our brand looks like now? If you have a look at all our current sponsors the only thing you will find in common is that the owners are all bulldogs supporters, and/or have some affiliation to the area/team. A proper independant sponsor doesn't work this way. They are looking for common brand values. We will get there with Gus and Warburton, but at the moment and the last few years we are far from it. Be thankful for all our current sponsors, especially Arthur. That's all I am saying.
All true. I just reckon Laundy talking through the media as opposed to speaking with the club directly is not worth his sponsorship dollars.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL 2022: Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett
Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy says he deserves an explanation for why mate of 20 years, Trent Barrett, is no longer at the club.

Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy has known Trent Barrett for two decades and believes he is entitled to a full explanation of the decision to part ways with the coach only 10 games into a new season.

Laundy also revealed he is yet to open talks with the Bulldogs over a new deal - his contract with the club as major sponsor comes to an end later this year.

Laundy reached out to Barrett via text message on Monday morning and planned to send another message to head of football Phil Gould seeking some clarity around the departure of the coach, who has struggled to get results during his tenure.

His fate was sealed after the club’s latest loss - a 16-6 defeat at the hands of Newcastle on the opening night of Magic Round.

Canterbury Bulldogs sponsor Arthur Laundy says he’s entitled to an explanation after Trent Barrett stood down as coach. Picture: Brett Costello

“I sent a text to Trent and he said he will talk to me in a few days time,” Laundy said.

“I know things haven’t been going well. Very sad, very sad. I just hope it has all been handled the way it should be handled.

“I have a good relationship with Trent. I have known Trent for 20 years. I had a good relationship with (Barrett’s predecessor) Dean Pay, who I have known longer.

“I was informed by the club this morning that we had parted ways. There has been no comment as to how it parted.

“I have had everyone ringing me but I don’t know any answers. I would like to get to the bottom of it. I would like to know what happened.

“That is why I sent a text to Trent. I will also be sending a text to Gus Gould saying can somebody please explain to me exactly how this situation has developed.”

Laundy insisted he had earned the right to have the decision explained to him given the amount of money he has ploughed into the club over the past two years.

“I think I am entitled to that,” he said.

“I have put more money in than anyone else. I think I am entitled to that. My contract finishes this year. It is open to go ahead if necessary.

“I have been a publican for 65 years but throughout my life, I have always endeavoured to do the right thing.

“I would hope that is the same way as this has been handled. Trent is a friend but it wouldn’t matter if it was Billy Bloggs … I would be jumping up and down then too.

“All I do know is it is because of results. It appears in rugby league - this is my first endeavour into it - that these sort of things happen if you are not performing.

“I would like to be very certain it has happened in the right way. I would like to get the right answers.”

Laundy is yet to make a decision on whether he will continue to sponsor the club beyond this season. He initially said he would do it for two years at a time when the Bulldogs were struggling to get corporate support for the front of their jersey.

Their results in recent times suggest it won’t necessarily be easy to replace Laundy, although Gould is a magnet for corporate dollars and his clout could open doors if Laundy decides to end his partnership with the club.

“It will happen soon that they will start talking to me,” he said.

“I said I would do it for two years. I have done one and a half years now. The two years finishes at the end of this season.

“I will have to be happy with them and they will have to be happy with me.

You are at it again Mr Laundy...Getting your face on the front pages is most important to you, if your intentions are seeking answers there are discreet ways to do so.
As a supporter I am grateful for your sponsorship even thought it came at a minimal 500k a season for 2 seasons following a freebie for 1 season.
I would've loved to see TBaz succeed, sadly for all of us winning 5 out of 34 without real improvements in attack was the writing on the wall.
Time for you Mr Laundy to prove you are truly a Bulldogs supporter otherwise it's time to take your DIRTY LAUNDRY elsewhere !!!

Last edited:

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He should shut up or take his money and fuck off with Barrett what an unprofessional prick trying to put us to ransom he should know himself if and of his staff don’t perform they get sacked I’m sure he has done it heaps of time it doesn’t mean because Barrett is his friend he’s going to stay forever

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look out, Arthur's slipped the gag again!

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is as good a mate with Baz as he claims he would already know exactly what happened