News Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2022: Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett
Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy says he deserves an explanation for why mate of 20 years, Trent Barrett, is no longer at the club.

Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy has known Trent Barrett for two decades and believes he is entitled to a full explanation of the decision to part ways with the coach only 10 games into a new season.

Laundy also revealed he is yet to open talks with the Bulldogs over a new deal - his contract with the club as major sponsor comes to an end later this year.

Laundy reached out to Barrett via text message on Monday morning and planned to send another message to head of football Phil Gould seeking some clarity around the departure of the coach, who has struggled to get results during his tenure.

His fate was sealed after the club’s latest loss - a 16-6 defeat at the hands of Newcastle on the opening night of Magic Round.

Canterbury Bulldogs sponsor Arthur Laundy says he’s entitled to an explanation after Trent Barrett stood down as coach. Picture: Brett Costello

“I sent a text to Trent and he said he will talk to me in a few days time,” Laundy said.

“I know things haven’t been going well. Very sad, very sad. I just hope it has all been handled the way it should be handled.

“I have a good relationship with Trent. I have known Trent for 20 years. I had a good relationship with (Barrett’s predecessor) Dean Pay, who I have known longer.

“I was informed by the club this morning that we had parted ways. There has been no comment as to how it parted.

“I have had everyone ringing me but I don’t know any answers. I would like to get to the bottom of it. I would like to know what happened.

“That is why I sent a text to Trent. I will also be sending a text to Gus Gould saying can somebody please explain to me exactly how this situation has developed.”

Laundy insisted he had earned the right to have the decision explained to him given the amount of money he has ploughed into the club over the past two years.

“I think I am entitled to that,” he said.

“I have put more money in than anyone else. I think I am entitled to that. My contract finishes this year. It is open to go ahead if necessary.

“I have been a publican for 65 years but throughout my life, I have always endeavoured to do the right thing.

“I would hope that is the same way as this has been handled. Trent is a friend but it wouldn’t matter if it was Billy Bloggs … I would be jumping up and down then too.

“All I do know is it is because of results. It appears in rugby league - this is my first endeavour into it - that these sort of things happen if you are not performing.

“I would like to be very certain it has happened in the right way. I would like to get the right answers.”

Laundy is yet to make a decision on whether he will continue to sponsor the club beyond this season. He initially said he would do it for two years at a time when the Bulldogs were struggling to get corporate support for the front of their jersey.

Their results in recent times suggest it won’t necessarily be easy to replace Laundy, although Gould is a magnet for corporate dollars and his clout could open doors if Laundy decides to end his partnership with the club.

“It will happen soon that they will start talking to me,” he said.

“I said I would do it for two years. I have done one and a half years now. The two years finishes at the end of this season.

“I will have to be happy with them and they will have to be happy with me.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was wondering when Laundy would get on his soap box.. I have a simple answer for Laundy.. 5 wins, 29 losses. There's your explanation. You don't like it? Then fuck off..

Clearly he doesn't watch the games or give a fuck about the team. He's as oblivious as always and only cares about getting more media attention.. This is the same person that stuck up for Elliott...

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think $500k and trying to protect his reputation by saying he opted to stand down is an indicator we tried to do it the right way.

Probably just publicly covering his backside to let Barrett and everyone else know that he wasn't part of the decision.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guessing he doesn't watch many games and he likes having his brand associated with mediocrity.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can suck my fat Lebanese wog cock lol sorry for the detailed image lol. But seriously this **** burns me didn’t he fucken pay like a discounted price for the front part of the jersey which I remember it was discounted as to what a premium sponsor front of jersey is actually worth. And straight up has he watched Barrett’s coached team preform the last 18 months.? I have no Ill feeling towards baz as I actually really wanted him to succeed, cause I believe he actually really did try his absolute best. But results speak for themselves baz shit the bed.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is this blokes biggest problem, he thinks his “sponsorship” entitles him to have a say in club and football matters, it doesn’t it entitles him to reap the benefits of having his brand associated with ours, if he doesn’t see value in that he’s entitled to withdraw his sponsorship and fuck off, anything outside of that has got fuck all to do with him and he should STFUP

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can this club please find a normal sponsor. I don’t like to speak of the dead but the guy from Jaycar, then it was going to be Mr Rashays now this bloke. Have those conversations behind closed doors Arthur, not to the media.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good grief uncle Arthur, NRL is a results driven business, 5 wins from 34 games pretty much ends anyones coaching career.

Maybe if we frame it this way, one of your pubs was making 20M a year profit under Manager X, for the last 18months, it’s been in the red by 5M per year under Manager Y…. You’ve done your best to understand why this is happening but Manager Y has no viable rationale and no ideas on how to fix it… do you keep clueless Manager Y or are you looking for the next Manager X??

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you're not relevant Arthur, you pay money so your brand is blazoned across our jerseys, that is where your involvement stops. you dont have a say in football operations irrespective of how much money you've paid for sponsorships and nobody has asked for your input. has it occured to you that the negotiations havent begun because the club is sick of you crying to the media? you're a sponsor, that is all.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was waiting for this flog to give us his insightful opinion. Has he even watched the team play? Did he see our last 2 games? If he even has to ask the question then it's clear he has no clue.

Last edited: