News ARL Scrap National Anthem for All Stars Match

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do we live in Australia ? so play the National Anthem FFS, if you dont want to sing it or mouth the words dont !
Have to agree, although I’m from NZ and can’t really have too much of an opinion, I would take the same stance on our national anthem, if you want too sing sing , if your passionate and it means something to you even better, if you want to mouth the words or don’t then that’s your right also.
Pointless argument.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps we should have it playing out of loudspeakers all over the nation at 8am every day and we all stop what we are doing, face Canberra and sing with gusto.

...both verses.
Someone should rock up to the game with some decent Audio equipment and play the national anthem as loud as possible.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question for all.

If Australia was successfully invaded by the Blah nation and the invaders then told us we now sing "Blah my Blah" as the National anthem, would you sing it? Would you advise your children and grandchildren to sing it? Would you see the Blah anthem as another stick of oppression to beat you over the head with and infuse in your family a culture of resistance by not singing it? Or would you roll over and accept your new Blah overlords requests for unity?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If Australia was successfully invaded by the Blah nation and the invaders then told us we now sing "Blah my Blah" as the National anthem, would you sing it? Would you advise your children and grandchildren to sing it? Would you see the Blah anthem as another stick of oppression to beat you over the head with and infuse in your family a culture of resistance by not singing it? Or would you roll over and accept your new Blah overlords requests for unity?
No i wouldn't

I also wouldn't take handouts from the Government or play for the national team of that nation. I wouldn't serve in the nation's armed forces or participate in amy national celebration.

If you revolt. You revolt with everything. Not a half assed convenience revolt

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Different context. No nation would dare invade Australia because of our strong political ties with the US. Where as when the poms 'invaded' this land, they came here to settle, not wage war with the Indigenous people. The Indigenous people took offense to their presence here because they looked at it as being an invasion, when really, it wasn't.

Australia is now a settled society, and will NOT be overtaken by any overlords.

However IF anyone were to try and invade out nation, you've only to look at Hong Kong and Chile to find out what would happen... except on a much larger scale.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Have to agree, although I’m from NZ and can’t really have too much of an opinion, I would take the same stance on our national anthem, if you want too sing sing , if your passionate and it means something to you even better, if you want to mouth the words or don’t then that’s your right also.
Pointless argument.
Scoobs that's not their point :grinning: they aren't going to mouth the words because of their belief that our anthem doesn't represent them as the first inhabitants.

Kiwi national anthem does recognise Maori and you have a Treaty. Far more inclusive.

If we had that same honouring of aboriginal culture then yes abuse the ba$tards for not singing the national anthem.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

I doubt you'll get any rational replies :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Indigenous people took offense to their presence here because they looked at it as being an invasion, when really, it wasn't.
Well, it was actually worse than that - they basically claimed that the land belonged to noone (aka "terra nullis"), so it was free to claim for mother England, without having to bother entering into any treaty, or make payment. Hence Mabo.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different context. No nation would dare invade Australia because of our strong political ties with the US. Where as when the poms 'invaded' this land, they came here to settle, not wage war with the Indigenous people. The Indigenous people took offense to their presence here because they looked at it as being an invasion, when really, it wasn't.

However IF anyone were to try and invade out nation, you've only to look at Hong Kong and Chile to find out what would happen... except on a much larger scale.
You would resist as most Australians would and that resistance could go on for generations, so the current resistance to the anthem by the Indigenous players is not that far outside the realms of reality.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No i wouldn't

I also wouldn't take handouts from the Government or play for the national team of that nation. I wouldn't serve in the nation's armed forces or participate in amy national celebration.

If you revolt. You revolt with everything. Not a half assed convenience revolt
Revolutions are never convenient or encompass everything, but I understand your point. But you too would resist. And that's the point I think many are missing. Put in the situation that these Indigenous player find themselves in, I think many of us would also resist.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You would resist as most Australians would and that resistance could go on for generations, so the current resistance to the anthem by the Indigenous players is not that far outside the realms of reality.
Let's not debate what would or would not happen... however I think the best way to change this is for a new national anthem to be create, and also ensure that some sort of Federal Government Recognised Aboriginal Council be in on the decision TOO (to ensure it's not fully one way or another). That way the Aboriginal people can't complain considering their own people helped chose the anthem. We both have our own reasons for wanting to change it, so let's just change it.

While we're at it, remove the Union Jack from our flag, change the Blue and White to Green and Gold (perhaps a blue outline to indicate the sea as we've got beautiful waterways and beaches), and become a republic from the pommy poofs.

Let's claim our own independence FFS. The poms got Brexit, so let's do our own!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's not debate what would or would not happen... however I think the best way to change this is for a new national anthem to be create, and also ensure that some sort of Federal Government Recognised Aboriginal Council be in on the decision TOO (to ensure it's not fully one way or another). That way the Aboriginal people can't complain considering their own people helped chose the anthem. We both have our own reasons for wanting to change it, so let's just change it.

While we're at it, remove the Union Jack from our flag, change the Blue and White to Green and Gold (perhaps a blue outline to indicate the sea as we've got beautiful waterways and beaches), and become a republic from the pommy poofs.

I'm all for doing it all at once - republic, indigenous recognition, flag, new national holiday - the job lot. Now, getting everyone to agree.... :grinning:

ANGEL of DEATH

New Pup
Reaction score

Can I add to the question?

What if the Blah's improved the country and conditions?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cannot agree with you more, except for your Green and Gold idea. Those colors look putrid side by side.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I add to the question?

What if the Blah's improved the country and conditions?
Excellent question. Would people take advantage of improvements offered under the Blahs while still resisting on the side? If the Blahs offered 4 day working weeks and 3 day weekends would peeps say yes to something like that? Of course most would and simply move on with their lives. Others would continue to resist regardless.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well, it was actually worse than that - they basically claimed that the land belonged to noone (aka "terra nullis"), so it was free to claim for mother England, without having to bother entering into any treaty, or make payment. Hence Mabo.
And most likely they only claimed terra nulis because basicly the aboriginal peoples were so docile and scattered. Unlike the warring Maori tribes who were more aggressive towards the British and stood their ground. They weren't push overs.

There's countless stories of Aboriginals helping save the lives of injured, lost settlers and explorers. They realised their way of life was lost forever.

Do we really have to force them to accept, even these days, that they don't deserve the recognition they legally should have.

Yes they stole sheep but the concept of ownership was foreign to them and also they were being driven off their lands and food source.

Really we are lucky they are such a peaceful lot. They haven't risen up or got violent as most other countries native peoples have or different backgrounds. Think Serbs, African tribes, US etc etc even Fiji.

They are making peaceful protests with tent embassies etc and not wanting to sing an anthem that does not honour their participation.

If they started carrying out an eye for an eye, causing death and destruction of property, as other peoples conquered by colonial powers, then we need to be outraged with our Aborgines.

Not before, for carrying out their right to be heard in this way.

Good luck to them.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pointless argument.
Normally I would agree with this, but not in this circumstance.

Sure if it's a standard NRL game, a World Cup game, Grand final, etc. Then yeah, play the National Anthem and those who don't want to sing, don't have to sing. But this is a game specifically to celebrate Indigenous Australians. Playing something they don't want is just insulting. It's saying, "we're here to celebrate you... nah, just kidding. Suck on this"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

If things went slightly different in WW2, Blah would be Japan.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Two points I'll raise on this:

1) The US are unlikely to provide us with much protection unless they are stupid enough to attack a US embassy or US base on Australian soil. The only benefit we provide the US is a land to launch attacks from if they go to war with Asia. Australia itself is a massive island that honestly isn't worth defending. The right force could attack from all sides and there would be little we could do, and the US wouldn't draw their forces thin helping us

2) The Poms landed, set up camp, wiped out a large portion of the indigenous population and named the land themselves. They went on to force the local population into servitude, kidnapped their children, and force them off their land. If that's not an invasion, I don't know what is

Fact is, white man invaded, white man won. We can't undo the past and I also don't believe Australia should have been left as it was. But we did handle it badly and the best we can do is apologise and try not to make it worse. Telling the Indigenous to suck it up is just poor form.