ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys is entertaining an overhaul of the Origin eligibility rules to cater for players like Taumalolo.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Point is he doesn't have the passion. If he plays it's for the money as a mercenary.
Interesting that you have such an insight into the blokes motivation to want to play origin.
Do you know him personally?

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting that you have such an insight into the blokes motivation to want to play origin.
Do you know him personally?
Just the fact he said no kind of proves the point. It's like Keary appealing the eligibility decision.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not about whether he's technically eligible or not. Personally I don't care about Origin but it should stay as is and no more exemptions should be made..

I care more about the International game and we need to keep growing that. Tonga (and to a lesser extent Samoa, Fiji and PNG) becoming a force and beating Australia was the best thing that's happened to the international code in years.

Add in England and New Zealand and for the first time basically ever, there are four to five teams that could beat one another on any given game. That's what I care most about and why it's important for Taumalolo to stay for Tonga only and not Origin as well..

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather Origin scrapped than have a version which is a watered down farce.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol at all you triggered fukn roaches I will just point that JT played all of his junior football in QLD and was QLD Schoolboy rep player. he was always eligible to play for QLD .He is an Australian and A QUEENSLANDER him choosing to represent his parents country of origin at international level should never have precluded him from playing origin . looking forward to seeing him in a maroon jersey next year. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
countries... plural... Taumalolo has played for both NZ and Tonga AND had previously rejected playing for QLD

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Point is he doesn't have the passion. If he plays it's for the money as a mercenary.
that is a load of shit lol

you can’t be serious

Farah eventually played for Lebanon again are you saying he didn’t play with passion for Nsw?

you saying Andrew fafitia didn’t play origin with passion?

it’s a silly bullshit comments that I have heard over the years.

wake up to yourself

rejecting origin was not because he doesn’t have passion playing for Nsw or Queensland but more because he didn’t want to turn his back on New Zealand at the time...

origin should not force players to select Australia

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Adrian Lam was another who played origin with so much passion yet played internationals for PNG

this outdated way of thinking that they wouldn’t have the passion is backwards..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we need to accept the demographics have changed. Phil Coulds article summed it up well.
On this particular issue at hand, Lolo is clearly just bored playing for the Cows

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm concerned with the situation of state v state, mate v mate. The very reason SOO came about.

SOO the ultimate contest founded by state rivalry when previously NSW picked QLD players when they joined NSWRL, to play against Qld resident State sides.

That whole premise, that drives the rivalry and the greater passion in Qld for SOO tribal revenge, would be lost, or watered down, if players who don't want to go on and play for Australia are made eligible.

There's rivalry of even how many players each state get picked for the Kangaroos, based on which state wins the 3 game contest. That would be gone as well.

As a hypothetical....You could have the situation where JT plays lock for QLD.

SBW plays lock for NSW.

The Australian Kangaroos are picked and neither player commits to the Australian team and you're scratching around looking for a guy good enough, who will play for us.

All the while the press rabbiting on that they are the 3rd best choice and the other 2 prefer to play for NZ and Tonga.

It's not wholesale feasible. Imagine this scenario in several positions.

Especially with Poly players becoming so prevalent in squads....over 50% of rosters now.

Extreme examples for sure...but very likely scenarios in the not too distant future.

SOO should remain as the sole Australian Kangaroos selection competition IMO.

I can see the benefits of having the best players picked no matter what country they play for but that's not SOO. That's another competition all together.

A new comp for Poly players could be set up along Barbarians concept, or similar as their selection comp. There's huge support, and rivalry, from the NZ/Tongan/Samoa/PNG community so could rival SOO anyway.

I'd personally love to have JT play for QLD, but I can see the tribalism that makes SOO what it is, be severely eroded over time, if its not for Kangaroos selection.

Just my opinion :grinning:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm concerned with the situation of state v state, mate v mate. The very reason SOO came about.

SOO the ultimate contest founded by state rivalry when previously NSW picked QLD players when they joined NSWRL, to play against Qld resident State sides.

That whole premise, that drives the rivalry and the greater passion in Qld for SOO tribal revenge, would be lost, or watered down, if players who don't want to go on and play for Australia are made eligible.

There's rivalry of even how many players each state get picked for the Kangaroos, based on which state wins the 3 game contest. That would be gone as well.

As a hypothetical....You could have the situation where JT plays lock for QLD.

SBW plays lock for NSW.

The Australian Kangaroos are picked and neither player commits to the Australian team and you're scratching around looking for a guy good enough, who will play for us.

All the while the press rabbiting on that they are the 3rd best choice and the other 2 prefer to play for NZ and Tonga.

It's not wholesale feasible. Imagine this scenario in several positions.

Especially with Poly players becoming so prevalent in squads....over 50% of rosters now.

Extreme examples for sure...but very likely scenarios in the not too distant future.

SOO should remain as the sole Australian Kangaroos selection competition IMO.

I can see the benefits of having the best players picked no matter what country they play for but that's not SOO. That's another competition all together.

A new comp for Poly players could be set up along Barbarians concept, or similar as their selection comp. There's huge support, and rivalry, from the NZ/Tongan/Samoa/PNG community so could rival SOO anyway.

I'd personally love to have JT play for QLD, but I can see the tribalism that makes SOO what it is, be severely eroded over time, if its not for Kangaroos selection.

Just my opinion :grinning:
You see the problem is most players chase the $$$
So therefore that means the international game suffers because Australia could pick a A and B side and still defeat anyone else because the carrot for playing origin is too high...

why would you give up that opportunity if you didn’t
Come from a family with money.

if they tweak the rules the international game will explode

I hope it happens!!

this will never happen or compete with origin because again $$$$

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You see the problem is most players chase the $$$
So therefore that means the international game suffers because Australia could pick a A and B side and still defeat anyone else because the carrot for playing origin is too high...

why would you give up that opportunity if you didn’t
Come from a family with money.

if they tweak the rules the international game will explode

I hope it happens!!
Understand what you are saying but I don't see how dragging down the state v state rivalry of SOO should be the leverage for improving the international game.

There will be no UK players eligible for the All New SOO and that's really the greatest international rivalry we have in league. Kangaroos V Poms.

Those issues regarding the standard of league internationally should be fixed by other money incentive games if thats what its all about.

"Mark My Words :grinning:" the death of SOO if its not a true Australian selection fight to the death competition.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's a big difference between playing for Lebanon and PNG who are developing nations that need all the players they can get, and getting Tongan, NZ, English internationals to play Origin.

Lebanon are no threat to beat Australia, Tonga, New Zealand and England are. That's why you have to protect the rules. To save Test footy and keep it strong. Seeing the sea of red in Tonga for those Internationals was the best thing that's happened to the code in decades. We don't want to lose that just so a few more stars can play Origin.

If they want to do that, just scrap the Origin concept completely and play a best of three All-Stars game series and call it what it is.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Origin has been tweaked/bastardised so much over the years, and exemptions made seemingly on a whim, that it no longer resembles what the forefathers of the concept intended.

So where do we go? Do we strip it right back to purely NSW v QLD origins? So, no Kiwis, Tongans, Portuguese, Western Australians, whoever? Do we go full hog and make it, like BT said above - an all star game series? I don't agree with half arsing as it is now TBH.

Perhaps players are getting paid too much to play origin? Money shouldn't decide representative loyalties but, at the moment, it clearly is, or is at least having a pretty heavy influence.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Origin has been tweaked/bastardised so much over the years, and exemptions made seemingly on a whim, that it no longer resembles what the forefathers of the concept intended.

So where do we go? Do we strip it right back to purely NSW v QLD origins? So, no Kiwis, Tongans, Portuguese, Western Australians, whoever? Do we go full hog and make it, like BT said above - an all star game series? I don't agree with half arsing as it is now TBH.

Perhaps players are getting paid too much to play origin? Money shouldn't decide representative loyalties but, a the moment, it clearly is.
Exactly. Just don't call it State of Origin if this is what they want to do. Then no one would complain about fucking with it if they just make it a 3 game All-Stars series.

But they'll never do that as thr branding of Origin is the jewel in their crown and worth so much money.

The thing is though, you open the rules up and let everyone in, then everyone would hate it and they'd kill Origin themselves. But V'Landys is too dumb or greedy to realise this.

V’landys has fucked the sport more than anyone by changing everything. If he does this, they'll all get fired as there will be so much resistance.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's a big difference between playing for Lebanon and PNG who are developing nations that need all the players they can get, and getting Tongan, NZ, English internationals to play Origin.

Lebanon are no threat to beat Australia, Tonga, New Zealand and England are. That's why you have to protect the rules. To save Test footy and keep it strong. Seeing the sea of red in Tonga for those Internationals was the best thing that's happened to the code in decades. We don't want to lose that just so a few more stars can play Origin.

If they want to do that, just scrap the Origin concept completely and play a best of three All-Stars game series and call it what it is.
And Tonga l,England,New Zealand ect beating Australia more frequently would be great for the game that’s the whole point...

Anyway I think valandis gets it let’s hope he can stand up to the backwards thinking peers of his.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Perhaps players are getting paid too much to play origin? Money shouldn't decide representative loyalties but, at the moment, it clearly is, or is at least having a pretty heavy influence.
Agree with the last part of your comment.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How about this left field idea...

Keep and expand Origin - drop theb"State of..."

Have an Origin comp, 2 groups of 4, played every 4 weeks. NSW, QLD, NZ, UK, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, PNG. Each group play each other once in weeks 4, 8, 12. Top 2 in each group the play off in week 16 (I.e. A1 v B2 and B1 v A2). Winners then play either a one off or best of 3 final (weeks 18,20,22).

If we need to have more more club comp byes and extend the season, then so be it.

Drop the world cup. Players have their "Origin" allegiance.

Would keep NSW/QLD strong whilst developing all other nations.