Opinion Are we being naive to think we will improve next year?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All i'm saying is that Baz needs to prove himself and so far he hasn't done it. We all know the limitations on the roster but some of his decisions have been absolutely pathetic. He will get next season but if things don't look to be on the up early then I don't see him being here for a third year.
Did you notice Cotric make a break out of right centre yesterday and imagine if Cotric was in Hoppa's place everytime Hoppa got into space. Tell me again why Barrett has played Cotric everywhere but right centre considering we still dont have a right centre??

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all comes down to recruitment and retention. I’m not convinced on Barrett but he needs to be judged this time next year.

We need a hooker badly. Sign Deitz & JMK on minimum deals. As backups. But we need to lock in a quality 9 ASAP.

Barrett needs to realise that the days of the Jackson & Elliot style of backrowers are a liability in the modern game. This needs to be addressed.

We need at least One quality Prop plus Atoni being signed.

We need halves to play eyes up football and not so structured. I think Shaun Johnson could be the player we need.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s starting to worry me. We seem to be going backwards at a rate of knots. The 17 for round 1 will look a lot different next year. But we need to nail the recruitment. If the rumours are true and we don’t get Smith, I have massive concerns. Your attack starts with your hooker. If we land Smith and add another 2 quality props, and maybe a second rower like Matterson, we could fight for the 8. Recruitment is critical. Fuck it up and we’ll be in for another long season.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s starting to worry me. We seem to be going backwards at a rate of knots. The 17 for round 1 will look a lot different next year. But we need to nail the recruitment. If the rumours are true and we don’t get Smith, I have massive concerns. Your attack starts with your hooker. If we land Smith and add another 2 quality props, and maybe a second rower like Matterson, we could fight for the 8. Recruitment is critical. Fuck it up and we’ll be in for another long season.
Fuck it up and it’s more than on season that will be long.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If thats the case we scrap B.Smith. We need direction and vision not a hooker that relies on the players around him to make the space.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
While watching the game tonight I was thinking, even with Burton, Ado-Carr and Naden I don't think we will be much better if we don't change our style of play.

We just look like we're trying to hard to play a certain way, it looks like Barrett is trying to implement what has worked so well at Penrith.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for next year, I really don't.
Yes we will be a lot better.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Fkn LOL I KNEW you were going to respond to that comment

Look I'm willing to give him a second chance because players/coaches can change and improve over time so I'm not focused on his previous record...but in the end you may be right. This time next year we should know the answer
The only thang Barrett has been good at is recruitment pull. Although mainly that has to do with Penrith

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep forgetting we have rfm, the kid has barely played any games the last 2 seasons… hope he plays soon and stays fit. He is a big difference in attack for us.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am so over this 'rebuild' nonsense. I'd rather us cheat the cap, two sets of books and sign all the superstars like the Roosters do.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The players we need are not availLable.....tell me where is the quality we need...who is available...god help us when the 2nd Brisbane team comes in 2023....the talent is not there and so struggling clubs like us will find it hard to sign the players needed to compete with the top teams

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have to improve with Burton, Naden and JAC. Obviously we still need a hooker and a couple of forwards, but any quality players must help, especially ones with speed.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aren’t you all over the “next year we will improve” ffs been saying this since Hasler got the sack and we haven’t improved. I don’t even know how you boys are able to watch them play. My heart and blood flow won’t allow me to watch them

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barrett signed.. Allan, Flanagan, Waddell and Hetherington.. he also convinced Elliot to stay, as he was halfway out of the door..

That's almost 1/3 of the team...... Just saying, he's definitely got his fingerprints on this one...

I rate JAC, Naden and Burton very highly and they are great signings.. but his signings this year have been dreadful and will probably burden the cap for years to come..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole team needs wholesale changes.. out spine & foward pack is still weak which means we will struggle..

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple idea of cause and effect will mean we will improve.
If you remove the cause of stale shit players with fresh motivated players.
The effect will be improvement.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well we do.. Manly under Baz = bad. Penrith lower grade under Baz = bad.
Yes, this is the only evidence we have.

Barrett’s coaching cred is not great.

Remember, we all thought..

Cotric was a great signing
Allan was a good signing
Flanagan was a smart signing
Hetherington was a decent signing

It is hard to know whether Burton, with just a handful of first grade games, will transfer his form from Penrith to the dogs. Or whether he becomes part of the furniture...

Same can be said for Naden.

Addo-Carr? I’d like to think he plays well anywhere he goes....but stranger things have happened.

I think we need to lower our expectations.

I don’t have the same amount of faith as others on here that Barrett can get us going all that well.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett will have to round 7 next year I think

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, this is the only evidence we have.

Barrett’s coaching cred is not great.

Remember, we all thought..

Cotric was a great signing
Allan was a good signing
Flanagan was a smart signing
Hetherington was a decent signing
Not all of us

I cop some heat now and again, but Nasheed is certainly a prophet. It’s about time I no longer let these thangs and thoughts die in time.

I’m not gloating, but if Nasheed can see exactly howthis was going to unfold this year down to a tee, then why couldn’t Baz?
I don’t ask much from a coach, but what I do ask is for them to be better, or at least equal to Nasheeds level if u want a head coach role. Surely not a big ask