No Source Are we actually going to address our biggest issue?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham at 9 is a very good option. He has all the skills.
The money we save can be used to get a real fullback.
Who do you suggest?
We seem to have enough Cap space to recruit a “real fullback”, but finding one who is available next year is the hard bit.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who do you suggest?
We seem to have enough Cap space to recruit a “real fullback”, but finding one who is available next year is the hard bit.

Go Dogs
JAC is the obvious choice. He is not only a winger. He has played a lot of footy
and will adjust to fullback without any problems whatsoever.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta say I’m growing concern with the lack of rumors surrounding a top notch 9. The most important position pretty much. With a war chest I was expecting a world class DH.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he's been that bad. His service isn't bad, he's got a decent running game when he opts to use it. Just seems that his first choice of passes needs some work. With a bit of coaching and better attacking structures instilled in the whole 17 that could easily improve. Compared to Lichaa he's a lot further along and simpler to develop.

I'll be happy if we get lucky and pick up a hooker with great instincts and all the skills to help make those instincts useful. But I think there's only about three or four that match that description in Australia. Chances are that any hooker we do pick up will be a work in progress too. Best case scenario is that C. Smith plays on and one of Brandon Smith or Grant wants out. But if either does want out they'll be in demand and maybe won't wind up with us anyway. So on the whole I'll hope that the main ingredient lacking in the development of JMK or Katoa was a good coach and that Barrett is that coach.
Mate very well said.
If we where lucky and somehow recruited first a top notch hooker the cries would be but our halves are no good. We recruit some potential good halves first ( Burton pending)and we now find a way to keep getting agitated about not recruiting a prized no 9. I believe we have the money to make a good purchase but nobody of note is currently available. At least to be an upgrade on what we currently have.
In any case I have renewed faith that we'll be an improved footy side next year regardless.
If we can sneak into the finals next year I'll be happy. It will be a good foundation to build on and possibly pick up additional talent as they become available. I feel getting players to break contracts inflates their price way too much and we shouldn't be putting ourselves in that position anymore. I think with the new coaching and mentors on hand, we're past that.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be fair, there are not many on here agitating for a better 9. I feel the general consensus on here is we have recruited well, first time in ~10 years and we will start becoming competitive again. Yes, there are positions to improve but reasonable analysis would say we’ve done well with cap constraints, one offseason can’t change everything. Our journey back has started .....

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but whose actually available?
Of all the quality hookers I haven't heard one of them publicly say on Nov 1 I'm going to test the market as I'm not happy with my current deal.
What approach is done behind closed doors is anyone's guess.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sold that hooker is our biggest issue. Even if we had a gun Hooker , we still don’t have any try scoring threats to finish of the chances we create. I still think there is a decent enough player in JMK who could be Damian Cook like, if he gets the right coaching and some forwards who can actually get us on the front foot with quick play the balls. He is one of our quickest players and when he ran this season was our most dangerous player. No sense paying overs for someone unless it Harry Grant.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sold that hooker is our biggest issue. Even if we had a gun Hooker , we still don’t have any try scoring threats to finish of the chances we create. I still think there is a decent enough player in JMK who could be Damian Cook like, if he gets the right coaching and some forwards who can actually get us on the front foot with quick play the balls. He is one of our quickest players and when he ran this season was our most dangerous player. No sense paying overs for someone unless it Harry Grant.
You have hit the nail on the head in regards to forward play, we just didn’t show enough urgency the whole year for quick play the balls and momentum. Really hoping Tbaz makes that a priority to see what JMK will do with space and no Tolman as an option after that was just habit

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great comment !

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
well that's the problem of wher we are, that there's so many gaping holes in the side, that they can't all be filled in 1 window

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm I see your point but I would argue JMK doesn’t do a good enough job of getting the forwards rolling and putting em on the ball effectively and efficiently.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate I appreciate your opinion but if you actually rate JMK you are mad, the bloke has been so bad for the past few seasons. He can tackle, yes but theres a reason at different points of the season, both Pay and Georgallis decided to bring Katoa in to try him out as JMK simply wasnt working. 9 is such a huge position these days, I mean look at Penrith getting Korisau, he transformed them into premiership contenders, JMK is just very average and until we take that next step to a very good 9, we ll never push to where we want the club, premiership contenders/winners.
I sit on the fence on JMK... hasnt been great but has been playing behind a weak pack with halves that weren't decisive... he will never be a Grant or Korosau but he will probably improve in 2021...

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we need another option at DH, however we need the right option. No point signing someone if they are just going to be a little better than our current options. We need to bring someone in that will gel with Flanno and hopefully Burton for the start of our long term spine.

I also think Avo will do that for us at Fullback, but for that we will need to wait and see. Anyone we bring in on big dollars has to be part of the long term plan.

I don't see us competing for the top 4 with our current options at 9, so either TBaz needs a miracle to unlock some hidden talents or we will still be in a rebuilding stage until we have the replacement DH.