Rumour Are we 1999 Magpie level bad?

Are we as bad as the 1999 Magpies?

• Total voters

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury have scored 34 points in five matches, the fewest since Western Suburbs scored the same number of points in the opening five weeks of 1999.

The 1999 Magpies coached by the great Tommy were the 2nd? worst statistical side of all time behind the Roosters that lost all their games in 1966

1999 Western Suburbs Magpies

The Magpies were saddled with some god-awful teams in their 91-year existence, but the final edition will always hold a special place in history.

In the black and whites last season as a stand-alone club, they leaked an incredible 944 points in 24 matches at an average of 39.33 per game, the most in league history.

For context, the second worst defensive team of all time were the 1982 Raiders, who conceded 862 points.

They won just three matches - by two, one and six points respectively - conceded 60 points or more a record five times and only managed to restrict their opposition to less than 24 points in five matches.

Injuries and poor results meant they churned through 38 players, the most notable of which were a very young Brett Hodgson, the McGuinness brothers, former Wallaby Andrew Leeds and tireless skipper Steve Georgallis.

By the time their wretched season ended after a 60-16 defeat to the Warriors at Campbelltown — which capped off a 12-match losing streak — it probably came as a relief to coach Tommy Raudonikis, who managed seven wins from his last 48 matches as Magpies coach.

--

So.. are we headed that way?

Last edited:

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think so. Remember, Broncos scored a lot of points against us... and right now, I can't see any victory. For example, before last weekend, I *might* have been hopeful against the Cowboys. But now I know we will lose... and unfortunately, we are incapable of losing in a close one. Our heads go down.

I honestly can't see a single victory this season. Who would we raise our game against? Usually we can rely on at least a struggle against the Eels, that might give us a bit of confidence about our ability to compete... Can you honestly see this?

Everyone thinks we are at rock bottom... I fear we will still be falling, to new depths, for sometime yet.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whilst the talk has been when we will get our next win, I agree with TBs view in that the goal for 2021 is to get incrementally better game by game with this side and develop players. The goal next year is to make finals and depending on how much improvement we land via recruitment & development, seriously challenge for the title.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha. No! I remember that Magpie team and they lost most weeks by 50 and had very little talent outside of the young Macguiness brothers. We're not great talent wise but we're not that bad and won't lose by 50 every week.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuck we weren't looking forward to a win....no our fans are reduced to hoping for a point

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best things about seasons like this is you put money on the opposition. And even a loss is a win :tongueclosed:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
that West team averaged 39 point against them per game.
After 5 games we are at 35 points against. I can't believe we will be that bad the whole season.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you put it like that, we're going alright!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha. No! I remember that Magpie team and they lost most weeks by 50 and had very little talent outside of the young Macguiness brothers. We're not great talent wise but we're not that bad and won't lose by 50 every week.
Ahh the Mcguiness bros... thats a name I used to hear in the 90s. They also had Andrew Leeds and Brandon Pearson who were decent enough.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like your thinking but at $1.03-1.15 most games, we’re not retiring soon!!
short odds absolutely but a couple of combo's in the game get's you into the 1.60 range(i have done so at least a handful of times so far)still short but there would be big bettors making good money out of these short favs..even starting off with a 100 bucks you would be up nearly 500%.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
another negatory thread idk why you people do it to yourselves and by extension the rest of us it's like selfharming...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like your thinking but at $1.03-1.15 most games, we’re not retiring soon!!
Go 13+ :p

But if dogs lose by 12 then you feel like you have been spit roasted by 3 nba teams with no lube or foreplay :sweat:

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ahh the Mcguiness bros... thats a name I used to hear in the 90s. They also had Andrew Leeds and Brandon Pearson who were decent enough.
Cherry Mescia, Harvey Howard, Leo Dynevor, McGuiness bros...they would give us a run for our money