Are refs allowed to over turn a penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I noticed Klein blew a penalty for us last night than overturned and gave the Warriors the scrum is he allowed to do that?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did not think they could tbh.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's what I thought aswell. I was at the game with my uncle and both him and I and the guys we sit with were as astonished as both of us.
Yh im pretty sure through out the year i have heard the refs say to captains that it is to late to overturn the call as he blew a penalty

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought u could overturn any call except a penalty or try?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Can someone explain what actually happened?

Someone suggested the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tap and then lost the ball so the ref said we took our advantage.

Others say (and I agree), the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tape and then they called it back because they over turned the penalty call by saying we actually lost the ball first (before the voluntary tackle).

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
in my whole life watching footy, iv never seen a penalty over turned.
iv seen refs acknowledge a penalty was wrong, but they always say we can over turn a penalty. unless its against the Bulldogs, than anything goes.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can someone explain what actually happened?

Someone suggested the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tap and then lost the ball so the ref said we took our advantage.

Others say (and I agree), the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tape and then they called it back because they over turned the penalty call by saying we actually lost the ball first (before the voluntary tackle).
they called a penalty first to the warrior player for not playing the ball, which made Reynolds quick tap it but they called it back after saying dogs knocked on first which meant there was no advantage taken by warriors

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
The referee was a dud! Eventually they got it right.

The Dogs knocked it on, no advantage was gained by the Warriors so it should've been a scrum (initially), the ref blew a penalty incorrectly completing forgetting we knocked it on lol! The other referee/Video Referee's reminded him!

I was happy with it.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
they called a penalty first to the warrior player for not playing the ball, which made Reynolds quick tap it but they called it back after saying dogs knocked on first which meant there was no advantage taken by warriors
I thought it was for a voluntary tackle

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
They definitely overturn penalties sometimes. It happens when one ref blows the penalty, but then the other ref or video ref chimes in.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
They definitely overturn penalties sometimes. It happens when one ref blows the penalty, but then the other ref or video ref chimes in.
To be honest mate I watch all the 8 games every week and never seen a penalty over turned.
knock on, high tackles, ect, iv seen pulled up but never over turned a penalty.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen it numerous times. They got the call right anyway so nothing to be pissed about

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup.

Section 16, Rule 9 of International Rugby League Rulebook:

"He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge."

I presume the same applies at NRL level with the input of the second referee and/or video ref. Any decision can be cancelled if he is informed of something he'd previously missed.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The refs themselves don't know, what chance are we?

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The penalty was for not getting up and playing the ball as I saw it. Then Reynolds tapped and took off and was tackled by a Warriors player who was inside the 10metres and therefore off-side and so another penalty should have been awarded. The only explanation is that the referee changed his (their? who has control?) and ruled the original ball had been forced backwards by the dogs to the warriors player who was penalised and therefore no advantage so back for the scrum. Ridiculous. Once the decision is given for a penalty how can the advantage be relevant? Why is there no explanation given by the league.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The penalty was for not getting up and playing the ball as I saw it. Then Reynolds tapped and took off and was tackled by a Warriors player who was inside the 10metres and therefore off-side and so another penalty should have been awarded. The only explanation is that the referee changed his (their? who has control?) and ruled the original ball had been forced backwards by the dogs to the warriors player who was penalised and therefore no advantage so back for the scrum. Ridiculous. Once the decision is given for a penalty how can the advantage be relevant? Why is there no explanation given by the league.
The decision was fine.

Ref initial thought no knock on against the Dogs so awarded a penalty against the Warriors for the voluntary tackle, which Reynolds tried to take quickly. He clearly got a word in his ear from one of the other officials that he'd missed the Dogs' knock on, so cancelled the penalty decision and went back to the first offence, i.e. the knock on, so gave the Warriors a scrum.

Messy, and not great that he had to cancel a penalty, but (eventually) the right call.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, we did knock on. The ref called it, that's fine. Then the ref blew a penalty because of an voluntary tackle. Knock on or not, a voluntary tackle is a voluntary tackle and therefore penalised. Did the touch judge or second referee, meters away, see something the ref, who made the call literally 2 feet away miss something they saw?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, we did knock on. The ref called it, that's fine. Then the ref blew a penalty because of an voluntary tackle. Knock on or not, a voluntary tackle is a voluntary tackle and therefore penalised. Did the touch judge or second referee, meters away, see something the ref, who made the call literally 2 feet away miss something they saw?
Yes. The ref missed the initial knock on (somehow...) but cancelled the penalty afterwards once it was pointed out to him.

The decision was fine in the end (but how the hell he missed the first knock on is worrying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.