Opinion Appointing Interim coach are bulldogs throwing in the towel poll

Is Gus writing season off by appointing an interim coach?

• Total voters

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He was Rickys assistant for many of his years at the Roosters as well. Coached the Dragons U20's to an undefeated season. He has the runs on the board.
Gus actually signed him up in 2004.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gus can get a tried and test experienced coach mid season im all for it as it can only give him more time with our squad, if not a interim will be the only choice. All I care about is that the right choice is made regardless because Im sick of us being the laughing stock.
Am pretty sure Gus has already said there will be an interim for this year and then an experienced coach for next year. I have no inside info (like Isaac) but I reckon there are 3 contenders. Flanagan, Green and Fittler.

I listened to Fittler this morning on SEN and they asked him if he would be interested in coaching the bulldogs next year. He said "I will be coaching the blues in a few weeks, thats all I am concentrating on". They pressed him a bit more but he refused to answer

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm sure if we had a coach secured and he was available to start right away (ie not tied up with other contractual obligations) we would announce and appoint him right away. For example, if Dad is the main option we are looking at, he has contractual obligations to Fox he can't just walk away from overnight. Or if it's Fittler, he is just about to coach an origin series. Personally, I hope it's neither of these guys, but the moral to the story is leading candidates usually have commitments and are not immediately available. Chill out and trust the process.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
You do realise we are only 6 points out of the top 8?

Everyone here seems to think coaching was the issue, so if that’s proven true why can’t we make the top 8 with a different coach?
It would be great if it all fell into place that fast. But it's highly unlikely.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do you expect a coach to sign by Friday morning and be prepared to take over the team? Or you go with an interim coach. Do a proper due diligence session and get the right person.

That might mean they don't start till next season, but it doesn't mean they can't start doing things, and really I think anyone who is currently employed given the Bulldogs need work now, probably won't be considered. Cause even if they don't officially take over the reins till next season, there is plenty to sort out off the field. Exhibit A: Ferris.
spot on dog

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They also need to keep the story going that this was unexpected. If you sign a coach the next day it looks pretty premeditated....

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the full timer takes over this year.

I'm guessing its either Sharp or Furner as interim, Gus mentioned experience as internal.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Am pretty sure Gus has already said there will be an interim for this year and then an experienced coach for next year. I have no inside info (like Isaac) but I reckon there are 3 contenders. Flanagan, Green and Fittler.

I listened to Fittler this morning on SEN and they asked him if he would be interested in coaching the bulldogs next year. He said "I will be coaching the blues in a few weeks, thats all I am concentrating on". They pressed him a bit more but he refused to answer
I'm fine with how they approach the season as long as thought has gone into it, making a rushed decisions is how we have ended in the mess of the last several seasons.

I don't think Fitler is any good tbh, hes riding the wave of success off the Panthers halves, the game the blues lost last year proves that imo.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
flanno is probably lined up yet there will be an interim appointed to fit the narrative that 'baz quit' and the club 'wasnt prepared' for this. if baz quits on monday and a new coach starts on friday it doesnt look the best. its all about the optics with gus.
in saying that i'd like the new coach be it flanno or whoever to come in at some point this year either in the full time coach role or from a distance and start assessing recruitment and retention etc and implementing support staff and preparing for next year so we're ready to go in Nov for preseason

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
SH

SHANE FLANNAGAN WILL BE HEAD COACH. HAS THE BEST RECORD AS A NRL HEAD COACH OUT THE OTHER CANIDATES.
MICHAEL ENNIS WILL BE HIS ASSISTANT.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m currently undefeated in year 10 bball . 3/3 record . For and against is 98 -20

where do I sign ?

Kennel Established
Reaction score
flanno is probably lined up yet there will be an interim appointed to fit the narrative that 'baz quit' and the club 'wasnt prepared' for this. if baz quits on monday and a new coach starts on friday it doesnt look the best. its all about the optics with gus.
in saying that i'd like the new coach be it flanno or whoever to come in at some point this year either in the full time coach role or from a distance and start assessing recruitment and retention etc and implementing support staff and preparing for next year so we're ready to go in Nov for preseason
You're right it's not a good look when Baz quits on Monday and a new coach (Flanno) starts on Friday..... "Saturday it is then"!!!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No offence bro but you are always wrong. 24hrs ago you were adamant that Baz was not going
I'm just happy Ennis won't be at the club, if he says it's happening there's no chance.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do I hear this in Ennis' voice
'SHANE FLANNO WILL BOI HEAD COACH, HOI HAS THE BEST RECORD OF THE AVAILABLE COACHES. I THINK ALL DOGS FANS WILL BE PLOISED BY HIS APPOIYNMENT. I THINK HE'LL BOI ABLE TO BRING BACK THE SPOID AND RESILYENCE THAT THE DOGS WERE KNOWN FOR'

Last edited:

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless there needs to be an interim coach this week while they interview and decide. An interim coach doesn't specifically mean it's for the whole year. It's until the new coach is available.

Flanno is still contracted with the dragons this year so he may not even be available straight away. He most likely has a head coach position clause but even still he would have to give some sort of notice period.

Only Green would be available for immediate start and i don't think anyone wants him.
He’s doing some list management role there so you’d think the dragons would grant him an early release. It’s a bit of a conflict of interest for him to be managing their roster if he’s in line for a coaching role next year