Opinion Appointing Interim coach are bulldogs throwing in the towel poll

Is Gus writing season off by appointing an interim coach?

• Total voters

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the start of the year like most I held hopes of a top 8 finish,I still think it’s possible 11 wins should get us in.

If you count how many games we have blown then you’ll know if we can get our spine team selections properly we can still be in the mix.

Is Gus getting a interim signifying that all hope is lost for us in 2022?

I was hoping he already had a new coach lined up .

please vote below

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Do you expect a coach to sign by Friday morning and be prepared to take over the team? Or you go with an interim coach. Do a proper due diligence session and get the right person.

That might mean they don't start till next season, but it doesn't mean they can't start doing things, and really I think anyone who is currently employed given the Bulldogs need work now, probably won't be considered. Cause even if they don't officially take over the reins till next season, there is plenty to sort out off the field. Exhibit A: Ferris.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gus already has a coach lined up and he is free to start now then he should start now/soon

If we're appointing an interim coach then that would suggest we have don't have a coach lined up and that we're taking our time to find the best option.

If Flanno has already agreed to coach us next year, and he is free, I don't see the point in him waiting until next year to start. Yes I get it would be better for him in terms of his coaching record but in the best interests of the club he might as well start ASAP.

The quicker he can dump all the plodders to NSW Cup the better

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Appoint “new coach” NOW, why not let them take over an build into 23 with more knowledge and ideas,
this way they have an advantage to see what’s what and put things in place for a strong start to next year..!!

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If Gus already has a coach lined up and he is free to start now then he should start now/soon

If we're appointing an interim coach then that would suggest we have don't have a coach lined up and that we're taking our time to find the best option.

If Flanno has already agreed to coach us next year, and he is free, I don't see the point in him waiting until next year to start. Yes I get it would be better for him in terms of his coaching record but in the best interests of the club he might as well start ASAP.

The quicker he can dump all the plodders to NSW Cup the better
Flanagan did take up the role mid season after Ricky Stuart was sacked. So I don't think he cares about the winning record, rather he'd prefer to make a winning club.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would hope that the the permanent coach would start as soon as possible - i believe there may be more effort, at least, from players playing for the new "boss" rather than than the temporary "boss".

Do they interview, call for applications or just approach who they want and appoint?

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Regardless there needs to be an interim coach this week while they interview and decide. An interim coach doesn't specifically mean it's for the whole year. It's until the new coach is available.

Flanno is still contracted with the dragons this year so he may not even be available straight away. He most likely has a head coach position clause but even still he would have to give some sort of notice period.

Only Green would be available for immediate start and i don't think anyone wants him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The players can't coach themselves... Although they might do better than Baz.. We need an interim for this season. The new full-time coach will take over next year.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether the permanent coach takes over this year or next we still need an Interim coach as even Flanno would not be able to come in understand all the systems and be ready for the training session Tomorrow. Appointing an interim coach gives that person the chance to get up to speed. Thats not to say that person can't have influence this year or even this week if they are known.

Getting an external person in and take over full responsibility from the moment he walks in the door would not be fair to the team or to the coach or the members and fans.

Best situation is interim coach out of Furner/Sandercock/Tangatoa and the new appointee starts working with our team and systems as soon as he is able.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The new permanent coach, whoever it is, has to have an NRL Coaching Licence. If, for example it’s Woolf, then he won’t have one and will have to apply, after getting a an ESL approved release from St Helens, then get a work visa, make relocation arrangements etc etc. Maybe as much as a month after the interview process is finished.

Do we really want to limit our choices by rushing to appoint a permanent coach now, I don’t think so.

Always a Bulldog

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan did take up the role mid season after Ricky Stuart was sacked. So I don't think he cares about the winning record, rather he'd prefer to make a winning club.
I think he was assistant there at the time mate so its a bit different

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fkn hell. If the best coach is currently with another club should we just take the next best option because they can’t come straight away.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
True, it wasn't exactly mid season and SFlanagan was an Assistant Coach there already, rather a different situation.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The new permanent coach, whoever it is, has to have an NRL Coaching Licence. If, for example it’s Woolf, then he won’t have one and will have to apply, after getting a an ESL approved release from St Helens, then get a work visa, make relocation arrangements etc etc. Maybe as much as a month after the interview process is finished.

Do we really want to limit our choices by rushing to appoint a permanent coach now, I don’t think so.

Always a Bulldog
We need to get a coach who is Always a Bulldog

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Gus can get a tried and test experienced coach mid season im all for it as it can only give him more time with our squad, if not a interim will be the only choice. All I care about is that the right choice is made regardless because Im sick of us being the laughing stock.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are dreaming of you think we can make the top 8

The only goal for the rest of the year is avoiding the spoon and giving some young guys a run where we can.
You do realise we are only 6 points out of the top 8?

Everyone here seems to think coaching was the issue, so if that’s proven true why can’t we make the top 8 with a different coach?