• Yeah doesn't really faze me?

• I think no games at all?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that turning the whole round into an "Anzac Day" round a bit of an overreach?

Before anyone fires up please know I am not trying to offend or stir any trouble. I just want to know what other people think.

Please know that I am actually a returned Servicemen myself and have been going to the Anzac Marches since before I can walk so it is obviously something very special to me. My Grandfather served in WW1 and died later in life from injuries resulting from his service.

So on that, I accept and agree with the matches on Anzac Day being represented to the full and actually think the NRL should move heaven and earth to find a way to have an Aus v NZ game instead of a few who cares club teams that only a minority of the sport even follow. If they had a test match I think it would rival Origin.

Either way should the NRL just do it on the 25th and the 25th only or is it okay for them to be extending it out all week?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think they should have a game on Anzac day. (But that's just me.)

Seeing as they have the entire weekend, all money they make on that 'weekend' should be donated to the RSL/Legacy or similar for the returned servicemen/women.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think they should have a game on Anzac day. (But that's just me.)

Seeing as they have the entire weekend, all money they make on that 'weekend' should be donated to the RSL/Legacy or similar for the returned servicemen/women.
I don't mind a game as I see it as a celebration of what they sacrificed for. Our way of life and being able to enjoy such things. Dawn service and parade in the AM for remembrance and respect with the arvo to have a few beers and enjoy the life we have been given.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that turning the whole round into an "Anzac Day" round a bit of an overreach?

Before anyone fires up please know I am not trying to offend or stir any trouble. I just want to know what other people think.

Please know that I am actually a returned Servicemen myself and have been going to the Anzac Marches since before I can walk so it is obviously something very special to me. My Grandfather served in WW1 and died later in life from injuries resulting from his service.

So on that, I accept and agree with the matches on Anzac Day being represented to the full and actually think the NRL should move heaven and earth to find a way to have an Aus v NZ game instead of a few who cares club teams that only a minority of the sport even follow. If they had a test match I think it would rival Origin.

Either way should the NRL just do it on the 25th and the 25th only or is it okay for them to be extending it out all week?
Interesting points.

I think that its nice to have a game or two on the day (I think it would be good to see the Warriors host a game on that day), but I think it is a stretch making a whole round out of it.

I think they have now got the balance right with respecting the day, without going over the top and trying to make any sort of caparison between footy and actual war.

I see there were still a few fuckwits during the minute's silence.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't mind a game as I see it as a celebration of what they sacrificed for. Our way of life and being able to enjoy such things. Dawn service and parade in the AM for remembrance and respect with the arvo to have a few beers and enjoy the life we have been given.
Right on.

There seems to be a movement for people to see how they can "out ANZAC" each other - like when Karl Stefanovic got stroppy about the new Avengers moving being released on the same day.

GD, I hope this doesn't sound cliche when I say Thank You for your service to our great country :grinning:

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah i totally agree, i personally find it rather tacky how they are doing this for every single game days after. I don't think there should be any club games on Anzac day, the only game should be a Aus vs NZ test.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Right on.

There seems to be a movement for people to see how they can "out ANZAC" each other - like when Karl Stefanovic got stroppy about the new Avengers moving being released on the same day.

GD, I hope this doesn't sound cliche when I say Thank You for your service to our great country :grinning:
Thanks mate, I don't think it's a cliché. I thank Service people myself so cheers!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I changed the poll to offer "no game" and set it so you can change your votes if need be :grinning:

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My only issue is the Roosters and dragons playing it every year.. give every club a go... except maybe NQ, having a game in Townsville would get very messy with so many AJ’s up there... and yes I was one...

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While its a small price to pay compared to anyone who fought in those wars, by game 6,7 and 8 the whole anthem thing is getting tiresome

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
My only issue is the Roosters and dragons playing it every year.. give every club a go... except maybe NQ, having a game in Townsville would get very messy with so many AJ’s up there... and yes I was one...
I know what you mean, I was up there too. Be a good night but haha

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guys some very thoughtful and honest opinions in this thread.

Personally, I think that the actual commemoration service and acknowledgement should be confined to the date not the whole round. I have no issue with the game being on the day, in fact a lot of the ex- servicemen enjoy going to the footy and it does not offend them.

Share the game around; why should it be two teams and two teams alone who play for the ANZAC day cup? I also like the ideas relating to an ANZAC day test match which would have to take the place of that particular round of footy.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Guys some very thoughtful and honest opinions in this thread.

Personally, I think that the actual commemoration service and acknowledgement should be confined to the date not the whole round. I have no issue with the game being on the day, in fact a lot of the ex- servicemen enjoy going to the footy and it does not offend them.

Share the game around; why should it be two teams and two teams alone who play for the ANZAC day cup? I also like the ideas relating to an ANZAC day test match which would have to take the place of that particular round of footy.
Yes but the Dragons and chooks asked for it and got it and they should keep it, just like we have our GF clash with the wabbits every year. I think people lose sight of the fact that it is free entry for ex servicemen and a lot of them including my late brother in law used to go in the march and then head off to the footy at Allianz. It was a special day for him. A few places have dawn services but only the city has the march. Just leave it be.

On the related issue of round v game on the actual day. For mine it should be on ANZAC Day only. We commemorate those special people on a special day. That is the purpose of it. Not the next day and the day after and the day after. That for mine diminishes the sensitivity and special attachment Aussies (and our little brothers) have with that day.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes but the Dragons and chooks asked for it and got it and they should keep it, just like we have our GF clash with the wabbits every year. I think people lose sight of the fact that it is free entry for ex servicemen and a lot of them including my late brother in law used to go in the march and then head off to the footy at Allianz. It was a special day for him. A few places have dawn services but only the city has the march. Just leave it be.

On the related issue of round v game on the actual day. For mine it should be on ANZAC Day only. We commemorate those special people on a special day. That is the purpose of it. Not the next day and the day after and the day after. That for mine diminishes the sensitivity and special attachment Aussies (and our little brothers) have with that day.

Absolutely spot on with this.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I was just thinking about that comment when it jogged my memory of our Anzac Day clash with Souths and this.........I remember it well watching on..... Irrespective of the send off we still beat them well finishing the game winners 26-2. Have often seen Mick around town up here with his grand kids attending the same school as my daughters. Nice bloke in actual fact.

https://www.gloucesteradvocate.com.au/story/5317243/top-ref-guest-speaker/

Take 10: Mick Stone sends a player to the sin bin during a Balmain/Penrith clash in 1987. (Photo by Philip Wayne Lock/Fairfax Media)

Former NRL referee Mick Stone is the guest speaker at the Gloucester Sports Awards on May 12 at the Gloucester Soldiers Club.

Mick began his rugby league career as a referee with Western Suburbs Juniors in 1978. He never actually played the game, stating “I couldn’t play for my life!” He refereed his first 1st grade game in 1981 (Canterbury v South Sydney at Belmore Oval) and, until 1989 when he retired, he was in charge of a total of 206 first grade matches.These included three Grand Finals, four State of Origins (one of which was played at Veterans Stadium in Los Angeles), four test matches, plus City v Country and World Cup matches.

After his retirement, Mick worked in radio for a year before taking up a position as NRL referees’ coach from 1991 to 2008. He was the head coach from 1992 to 1999 which included the infamous Super League era. Mick also officiated in more than 100 matches as a video referee including three grand finals and a number of State of Origin and test matches, some of which were played overseas.

Mick has been credited with the fastest send-off in the history of rugby league. It was on Anzac Day in 1986 at the SCG when Canterbury played South Sydney. According to one newspaper, Canterbury’s Peter Kelly “was dismissed so fast, that he beat the bugler, who had played the last post, off the field.”

Mick refereed the last grand final match to be played at the SCG, the first to be played at the SFS (Sydney Football Stadium) and the only grand final (1986) where no tries were scored. He was also responsible for sending off the last player to be dismissed in a grand final.

Perhaps Mick is best-remembered by Queensland supporters for his efforts during game two of the 1988 State of Origin series at Lang Park when he sent Wally Lewis to the sin bin for backchat. This nearly caused a riot, with the crowd raining beer cans onto the field. Mick stopped the game for safety reasons; it was eventually re-started and the home team came away with the win, 16-6; this incident signalled the end of beer being served in cans at Origin matches. Mick lives at Forster and is involved with the Mid North Coast Branch of the Men of League.

Tickets for the Gloucester Sports Awards are on sale at Furniture One on Church Street, Gloucester.

Status
Not open for further replies.