Official Stadium Australia Update

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
so does that mean that we shouldn't be tied to ANZ anymore?

obviously we wouldn't have signed anything to play there over the period the new rebuild was meant to be happening & if we had agreed to play there after that time what we signed up for is nolonger going to be there so we couldn't be held to that agreement

no doubt that fuckwitt in his red bandana will be jumping for joy at this news

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read that vlandys will move the grand final away from Sydney if he doesn't get 3:- 4 x new suburban grounds.
Unfortunately belmore wasn't mentioned, kogarah, Campbelltown and Brookvale

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I know. Wishful thinking.
Too many reasons mate - local politics, land ownership, the metro train going through that corridor - just can’t ever see it happening.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Logical decision as I see it, wait for the economy to bounce back, have the SFS back up and running then kick off the ANZ squarification. GF and SOO at ANZ for 2020 and 2021 then SFS for 2022 and maybe 2023. Keep them farkin Queens(landers) as far away from the GF as possible.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Peter V’landys promises Bulldogs, Rabbitohs ‘won’t be forgotten’

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has assured South Sydney and Canterbury that they will be looked after under a revised stadium agreement, as he works towards striking a new deal with the state government by the end of June.

After revelations that plans to rebuild ANZ Stadium had been scrapped, V’landys sought to assuage concerns of Bulldogs and Souths officials by insisting they would not be forgotten in talks with the state government.

Canterbury and Souths are both tied to long-term deals but it is understood the NRL believes that both clubs would be within their rights to void those contracts given the decision to leave the Olympic venue untouched.

In return for scrapping the ANZ Stadium revamp, V’landys wants the state government to honour its agreement with the NRL by directing money towards a series of boutique venues with capacities of no more than 20,000.

The immediate priorities would appear to be Manly and Penrith, two grounds in need of serious work. Neither would benefit Canterbury or Souths, yet V’landys insists neither club will be forgotten as he seeks venues of the ilk of Bankwest Stadium at Parramatta.

“It will be more cost effective because they won’t have to pay for this monstrous stadium. They will be looked after absolutely. We’re there to service our clubs so we will naturally do what is best for the clubs. We’re going to make sure they are in a much better position than they are now, otherwise it is not worth doing.

“That is all in the future. We want reinvestment. We don’t want refurbishment of the current grounds. We want complete brand new stadiums — Bankwest-style grounds.

“We want them smaller than Bankwest so they only fit 20,000 people for two reasons. One, so you are closer to the action but also it is going to cause people to buy season tickets, because if you aren’t one of those 20,000, you aren’t going to get a seat.

“It will enable them to provide better corporate facilities which will provide revenue for clubs. It will make tribalism top of the list. It is not just a rugby league ground, it is a ground for the community for local events. Because they are going to be smaller, they will have roofs on them.

“They will have the latest technology. The government has an agreement with us so they have to rectify the agreement. You can’t walk away even if you are the government.”

Under the memorandum of understanding struck between the NRL and the state government, the NRL agreed to hold grand finals in Sydney for the next 27 years in return for the development of ANZ Stadium.

The NRL would now be within its rights to walk away from that agreement and sell the grand final to the highest bidder. However, V’landys would prefer to reach a new agreement that would compensate the NRL and its clubs by building a series of stadiums.

“They won’t all happen at once,” he said.

“You might get one done at a time. Who knows? If they prove successful, we can get a lot more done.

“The thing about it is that Bankwest has proven very successful. Everyone says how great it is. Why don’t we replicate it?”

The NRL estimates that each new stadium would cost about $200m to build, although costs could be mitigated by building two simultaneously.

The belief is that ANZ Stadium could remain in its current form and be used for big events.

“You want to have a venue that can do mass crowds because you’re going to have events like the grand final and State of Origin,” V’landys said. “People put up with that facility because of the atmosphere. If it is a big stadium like that a quarter full, you don’t get that atmosphere.

“By reducing its size, you go against the purpose of that stadium which is for a mass crowd. And the broadcasters certainly don’t want to broadcast games week in, week out (from ANZ Stadium) because it destroys their product.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/e5aaee8c4a652ec60c64164779ac3319

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny how the Rorter$ representing a non rugby league area with few fans get a brand new stadium...

Why isnt the SFS project put on hold also..

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Well Peter V'landys has done well so far in his first few months of the job, let's see if he can handle the ANZ rebuild now (which could be his biggest test yet).

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Funny how the Rorter$ representing a non rugby league area with few fans get a brand new stadium...

It's a much smaller job I think - and the project has already started. If you pull out of such a deal this far in you risk a massive legal case which you're likely to lose which will end up costing he Government more time and money. It looks like the ANZ project would've had a get-out clause of some kind which the Government has activated.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

It was a stitch up from the start the SCG Trust has way too much power over the government. This is exactly what they wanted I had my doubts about the ANZ redevelopment going ahead all along.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was always going to happen. The fact it wasn’t demolished after the GF last year and it stuck around for origin This year was its downfall. If it was in pieces now it would have had no option to continue.

It’s possibly the worst stadium in NSW for viewing any football code as it is a track and field stadium. Which mostly would be running so it’s just the perimeter that was focused on for viewing. They tried to make it rectangle and remove the wings. But it just didn’t work. Too slanted. And never had the atmosphere of being over the field. Level 1 and above actually had a better viewing. But anything on the ground level was very unappealing. And GA could barely see the other end.

hopefully we can come to an agreement forward to use Bankwest and the new sfs for moderate games. Have Belmore for out of town games and maybe keep anz for Souths games and maybe our finals games.

I also think Leichhardt is underused. Great stadium to watch the game on a Sunday afternoon. And even move 1-2 games a year to Campbelltown or Gosford. In effect we won’t have a “home ground” but anz with 15 thousand people isn’t much to cheer about.
I have watched many a game at Leichhardt but its facilities are not the best. Parking is practically non existent and if Belmore was considered not suitable due to parking I honestly cannot see how Leichhardt is.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It was a stitch up from the start the SCG Trust has way too much power over the government. This is exactly what they wanted I had my doubts about the ANZ redevelopment going ahead all along.
I agree the Trust has way too much power. Remember the original plan was ANZ rebuild and SFS remodel, then it got switched and now there’s a dust bowl at Moore Park and ANZ gets nothing. Great outcome.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree the Trust has way too much power. Remember the original plan was ANZ rebuild and SFS remodel, then it got switched and now there’s a dust bowl at Moore Park and ANZ gets nothing. Great outcome.
The SFS mysteriously became a death trap over night which could only be rectified with a full knock down redevelopment. Then instead of just a BankWest style stadium it has all the bells and whistles including a under ground car park.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have watched many a game at Leichhardt but its facilities are not the best. Parking is practically non existent and if Belmore was considered not suitable due to parking I honestly cannot see how Leichhardt is.
Definitely lacking in facilities. Think I have even gotten a few splinters from the old benches from years ago lol. And lacks even the most basic facilities (let alone corporate facilities). But there is just a romance in it.

In the 80s and 90s it was tribal and 15k fans would scare the opposition. Today with these stadiums anything under 30k seems like no one is there.

Not sure if Vlandys can recreate the tribalism, but if he can somehow get crowds back he has done better then Greenberg who drove them away.

For mine Belmore, Leichhardt, Campbeltown and even the sfs were some of the best viewing stadiums for live sport I have seen in Sydney. Shark park wasn’t too bad either.

Fair enough lacking in parking, bathrooms, food and any sense of corporate hospitality.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Definitely lacking in facilities. Think I have even gotten a few splinters from the old benches from years ago lol. And lacks even the most basic facilities (let alone corporate facilities). But there is just a romance in it.

In the 80s and 90s it was tribal and 15k fans would scare the opposition. Today with these stadiums anything under 30k seems like no one is there.

Not sure if Vlandys can recreate the tribalism, but if he can somehow get crowds back he has done better then Greenberg who drove them away.

For mine Belmore, Leichhardt, Campbeltown and even the sfs were some of the best viewing stadiums for live sport I have seen in Sydney. Shark park wasn’t too bad either.

Fair enough lacking in parking, bathrooms, food and any sense of corporate hospitality.
Lidcombe Oval was always good for a few splinters in the bum!

Todd said time and time again that the reason he believed Thursday night footy was here to stay were the crowds were not attracted to the ground ,but to the comfort of the lounge room seat so it didn't matter about the stupid time and the fact it was a work night. That is where he lost me when he made it quite obvious that bums on seats were not a priority but we had to be politically correct and pander to the broadcasters by boosting the TV ratings.

Footy was meant for the 'working class' back in the good old days and the creature comforts were always secondary. grounds we could not get to (mostly the away games) were the ones we watched on TV either ABC or Channel 7 ( later Channel 10) games called by Rex Mossop

Heck I remember when the old grandstand at Belmore was blocked by a tar covered hill where your only option was to stand and watch the game and stand we did. Even the infamous Canterbury Rd Leb shed was short on viewing and the seats were as hard as a rock but it was the fact that you were actually there that was the attraction. Wet days were just that, very wet with next to no cover from the rain but you sucked it up and watched the game....In those days too, don't forget it was a whole day of footy with three grades and the gates opened at something like 10 am in the morning. Used to live in Punchbowl so hopped on the train to Belmore and walked to the ground through the park. It was a massive day with plenty of fun and footy and who could forget the cold pies and the hot drinks!!!! Two entrances to the ground one on each side. Ah the good old days......

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just read that vlandys will move the grand final away from Sydney if he doesn't get 3:- 4 x new suburban grounds.
Unfortunately belmore wasn't mentioned, kogarah, Campbelltown and Brookvale
Oh so he runs the state does he and pays the bills!
He doesn't own the game, the fans do...well at least did;). Honestly if league died people would forget about it in a few years...in fact it has been dying for years with continual rule changes and iron fist tactics of the NRL.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Until the club is averaging more then 30k they should be playing out of Bankwest. ANZ always has been and always will be rubbish for small crowds.
Actually, with the crowds we've been getting, ANZ is perfect for social distancing. Looking at the games we have played there in recent years, we were already keeping huge distances between fans.