Anyone here had a PCL or ACL reconstruction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Booked in for monday, PCL reconstruction and Meniscus tear repair.
Just wondering about other peoples experiences.

How bad did it hurt ? For how long ?
How long till you could walk without crutches ?
How long till you got rid of the brace ?
How long till you could run again ?
Anything else youve experienced, that I should know ?

On the plus side, i guess i'll be spending more time on the kennel (assuming we progress).
Cheers kids.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had that before but hope all goes well for you!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok guys. I guess I'm the only one. So if anyone else ever needs one, here goes.
It doesn't hurt as much you'd expect.
The pins and needles in my leg though, is almost unbearable.
Endone.......is goooooood !
Hardly slept a wink last night, not used to sleeping on my back.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad it went okay.

Fortunately I've never had knee problems that bad, although at the moment my iliotibial band is causing me grief. And I had Osgoodschlatters disease (?) when I was about 12/13.

Thanks for the feedback re what it was like.

Shame there weren't more Endone fed threads created though ... :p

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Did you tear an PCL? WHat grade was it?
Did you get a graft from your own body? Its difficult to reconstruct a PCL as the ligament is in a tricky position.

Pretty sure the doc/surgeon would have told you to keep your leg extended at the knee as much as possible. (ie. straight out). Im pretty sure they put you in a cast or some sort of moon boot for your knee.

You may have a long road of recovery with many hours trying to strengthen the muscles involved (quad muscles and hamstring muscles).
Range of motion is going to be an issue. Ligaments will be weak and flexibility will be severely reduced. I strongly recommend a good therapist to help you.

Recovery time is based on many things like body's ability to recover and your willingness to do strengthening exercises plus previous expereicne and grade of tear. From memory its usually 6-8 months if youre young fit and healthy. (dont quote me). Running at full potential is maybe 9-12months.

I havent had the injury, but its to do with my study at uni.
Good luck. Sadly, your knee will never be the same.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Well on the positive side doing your PCL isn't as bad as doing your ACL.

My mate did his ACL about 2 years ago now, he's doing everything he was before the injury.

Your knee will get back to 100% if you rehab properly for it.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
hey mate, hope all went well with your op!
i did my acl approx 4 years.....and had surgery approx 6 weeks after the injury...once the swelling went down....
they used a tendon in my hamstring to repair the torn cruciate ligament.....i was out from sport for approx a year.....
lots of physio and bike at the gym before you get back to full strength...infact i dnt think my hamstring will ever be the same...but my knee is immaculate!
i wasnt in a moonboot...but i had crutches for a few days but could put weight on my knee in less than a week after surgery although only limping around.....
i wore a brace for a couple of weeks after and had to pretty much train my knee to straight from scratch again...i had no muscle in my quad whatsoever...and had to build it all up again which takes months.....
worst injury ive ever had and dnt wish it upon any1......takes a long time to get back.......make sure u do ur rehab properly!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks fellas ! They used a donor Achilles tendon. It's been 12 years since I first injured it and hopefully this'll stop it degenerating further. I know I've got a long slog ahead but I guess baby steps is the way to approach it !

Status
Not open for further replies.