Any More BIG NAME signings before season '23?

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is not elite imo
He has won nothing
Failed at origin
Failed on the big stage
He goes missing, flat track bully
But thats imo
He’s the best available 7 which is the most important position on the field and the one where we lack most.

People want to skimp out and count pennies buying Williams and then spend 800k on another second rower and centres, it won’t win you a comp. Nothing against Williams tbh probs my second pick but you’d be crazy not to go hard for Moses.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He is not elite imo
He has won nothing
Failed at origin
Failed on the big stage
He goes missing, flat track bully
But thats imo
Agree to disagree. People say that. He made the grand final. The eliminated some great teams. No one was beating panthers.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. People say that. He made the grand final. The eliminated some great teams. No one was beating panthers.
Yeh see your point but he was disappointing in the GF when the team needed him

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s the best available 7 which is the most important position on the field and the one where we lack most.

People want to skimp out and count pennies buying Williams and then spend 800k on another second rower and centres, it won’t win you a comp. Nothing against Williams tbh probs my second pick but you’d be crazy not to go hard for Moses.
What has moses won? Nothing
Does he stand out in big games no
Cant win a comp with moses imo

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh see your point but he was disappointing in the GF when the team needed him
Mate it’s like saying Paulo? Mahoney? Etc?

The south’s didn’t make it as far. Latrell?

We jump at these guys if we get the chance.

Panthers roster this year was just so far ahead of everyone else’s.

Losing Api, Kikau will bring it back a bit but another year and losing a handful more will see it even out.

I am comfortable saying moses is easily a top 5 nrl halfback in the comp.

Realistically he’s the only option we have available. Outside of g williams. Using the logic of wel raiders didn’t make it to the gf or win any big games with him is the same for Moses.

I would be over the moon with either.

Add that with burton and Mahoney and we have 3/4 of a truly elite spine.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we can sign Moses, I'll part the damn red sea (burwood road, belmore) and march right up to Gus and plant one right on his chops.

Moses is a must, we haven't had a halfback of his calibre in years, I'd rather overpay him for 3 years and compete then wait another 4 or 5 years for a junior or senior half to become available.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Parra's forwards were belted in the gf,that's not a great platform for a 7 to perform from.
The very good 7’s that win comps find a way
Moses cant do that

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The very good 7’s that win comps find a way
Moses cant do that
Munster and Hughes couldn’t against an eels team that Moses had a major role in.

Guys like dce and Reynolds didn’t even make the finals…

I get what your saying mate but I don’t buy into that. As I said panthers where ahead of the comp this year.

Guys like latrell and walker who are great players (even if fuckwits) still couldn’t pass moses team. Now it’s not all moses but you can’t say well he didn’t help them beat panthers when he did get passed a Munster, Hughes, grant storm. A latrell, walker, cook storm.

I agree he’s not Thurston. He’s not cronk. Hell he’s not cleary level.

Though if your not signing Nathan I struggle to pick a 7 id sign ahead from The nrl right now.

Anyway. Guess will see. I still think he stays and hope he ends up here.

I know we can’t afford to miss him
And Williams that’s for sure.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What has moses won? Nothing
Does he stand out in big games no
Cant win a comp with moses imo
Played in a few preliminary finals and a grand final.. pretty fucking handy if you ask me.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Played in a few preliminary finals and a grand final.. pretty fucking handy if you ask me.
Played shit in all games and won nothing
I dont want to finish 2 or 3rd
Lets not panic

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Munster and Hughes couldn’t against an eels team that Moses had a major role in.

I get what your saying mate but I don’t buy into that. As I said panthers where ahead of the comp this year.

Guys like latrell and walker who are great players (even if fuckwits) still couldn’t pass moses team. Now it’s not all moses but you can’t say well he didn’t help them beat panthers when he did get passed a Munster, Hughes, grant storm. A latrell, walker, cook storm.

Though if your not signing Nathan I struggle to pick a 7 id sign ahead from The nrl right now.

Mate you're not gonna convince the Moses knockers..even though Kikau would have obliterated every good half in the game in that gf and yet Moses hung tough, you can't win games with no go forward he was honourable in that defeat imo..this is clearly ignored by those that don't like/rate him I've fucken given up on arguing lol

Hurry up and sign one or the other already!!..
I'll leave it to Gus who he sees as the best fit idk enough about Williams but don't think he has x-factor however?
I do know if he fucks off from super league that will be 2 Contracts he has dogged on in 2 or 3 years...hmmm.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
...and yet wants Thurston/Cronk/Cleary money.

He's talented. He can play. I have doubts about his big-game performances and I also doubt how much use he'd be to bringing on the next-gen halfback (they're my doubts, doesn't mean it's necessarily true)

He is not worth $1mil+(again, imo) and we should not be goaded into paying massive overs, just because he is "all that's available".
Remember how this is supposed to be a "5 year plan" and "we're not going to panic" - so, let's not panic.

Williams might not be "as good" but he is half the price and therefore (far) better value - Moses is nowhere near twice as good.
Williams is still a substantial upgrade on Flanagan and a massive improvement for our right edge.

If you can get Moses for $950k-$1Mil (and not more) for a few years, then get him. But not at the expense of the rebuild.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
...and yet wants Thurston/Cronk/Cleary money.

He's talented. He can play. I have doubts about his big-game performances and I also doubt how much use he'd be to bringing on the next-gen halfback (they're my doubts, doesn't mean it's necessarily true)

He is not worth $1mil+(again, imo) and we should not be goaded into paying massive overs, just because he is "all that's available".
Remember how this is supposed to be a "5 year plan" and "we're not going to panic" - so, let's not panic.

Williams might not be "as good" but he is half the price and therefore (far) better value - Moses is nowhere near twice as good.
Williams is still a substantial upgrade on Flanagan and a massive improvement for our right edge.

If you can get Moses for $950k-$1Mil (and not more) for a few years, then get him. But not at the expense of the rebuild.
Couple things to point out.

1. Williams isn’t off contract and may not want to come back to aus.

2. Moses doesn’t want Thurston money. If he was available in todays market I’d have no doubt saying Thurston is closer to 1.5 mil than 1. Cronk and even cleary to leave panthers would probably be that kind of $ to. Though more to the point they aren’t. The “elite level” is not strong in the 7. There is some extremely good halfbacks but none besides cleary are looking like Thurston etc. those Moses is right in that next group and ticks all the boxes we need. Desperately to be competing.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. He's the best "available" (if we can't get Williams) and what do we need the most of any position ASAP ? The best 7 "available". We have to pay market value unfortunately whatever that may be or we're sitting down the bottom half of the ladder for years to come.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Williams isn’t off contract
...but nevertheless is "available" because of how the transfer market works.

may not want to come back to aus
True. In which case the point is moot.
However, reports say he is keen. If true, we have Thompson, Sutton (good friends apparently), and maybe even Farnworth to make him feel more "at home".

In halfback tiers, mine are:
[not an exhaustive list, just examples]
* Superstars: (proven over many years) Thurston, Cronk, etc (currently none in the game)
* Elite: (Clearly is now here, Cherry-Evans might have been for awhile but has probably dropped lower recently) - I don't think there are any others.
* Excellent: Cherry-Evans (paid overs), Jahrome Hughes, Adam Reynolds, Chad Townsend (all except Cherry-Evans, who signed when he would have been considered "Elite" would be on well under $1Mil).
* Very good: Ben Hunt (paid overs), Nicho Hynes, Mitch Moses (all had excellent 2022's, so if they can repeat that level in '23 they could be considered excellent), George Williams (and should be a lot cheaper "under the cap").
* Steady hands: Jamal Fogarty, Jackson Hastings, Shaun Johnson (maybe a plodder now), Luke Brooks (massive overs - maybe a plodder)
* Rising Stars: Lachlan Ilias, Sam Walker, Tom Dearden
* Plodders: Kyle Flanagan, Toby Sexton, Adam Clune

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Weren’t we paying players like Eastwood 800k when the cap was lower.
I have no problem splashing a million at Mitchell Mose. There’s not many 7’s out there and it would give us time to develop one.