Anthony Minichiello

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Announced he will be retiring after this year.

Sydney Roosters captain Anthony Minichiello has announced he will retire at the end of the season after 15 years in the top grade.

"Today I'd like to announce I'm retiring at the end of this season... It's a decision I have thought long and hard about and I think it's the right one for me and my family," he said at a press conference today.

“I would like to make a special mention of the legendary Arthur Beetson who recruited me to this great club and to especially thank Nick Politis and the Roosters Board of Directors who have always been unwavering in their support. Nick has been very loyal to me throughout the ups and downs in my career. The loyalty he has shown is unmatched. I can never thank you enough.

“To each and every one of my teammates and coaches over the years, I thank you. I also want to make a special mention of Trent Robinson and my current teammates – we’re a tight group and I’m enormously proud to lead you every week.

“Most importantly, I would like to thank my family; my parents for everything they’ve done over the years to help me realise my dreams and especially my wife Terry and our beautiful little girl Azura Trésor for their unconditional love and support. I’m definitely going to enjoy spending more time with you.

Roosters Official Statement
Sydney Roosters captain Anthony Minichiello has today announced he will retire at the end of the 2014 National Rugby League season.

34 year-old Minichiello, currently the second most-capped player in the foundation Club’s proud history with 294 games to date, behind only Luke Ricketson (301), said he was comfortable with his decision to retire after 15 seasons of top-grade football and that he felt that the time was right to move on to the next chapter of his life.

He will leave the game having achieved success at every level, including captaining his beloved Roosters to the 2013 Premiership.

“It’s a decision I’ve thought long and hard about, and one that I feel is right for myself and my family,” said Minichiello.

“The Roosters mean everything to me. I always dreamed of playing first-grade football and I’m incredibly proud to have been a one club player.

“I feel very fortunate and privileged for the opportunities and career that I have had and I have truly loved every minute of it. I wouldn’t be the man I am today without the Roosters and rugby league.

“I have had 15 very special years playing first grade with so many highlights over that time with the Roosters and also representing my State and my Country. Everything I could ever dream of and more.

“There are so many people who have played an important role in helping my career along the way, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them all. I can’t thank the Roosters staff and all the supporters and sponsors enough for the opportunities they have given me over the years.

“I would like to make a special mention of the legendary Arthur Beetson who recruited me to this great club and to especially thank Nick Politis and the Roosters Board of Directors who have always been unwavering in their support. Nick has been very loyal to me throughout the ups and downs in my career. The loyalty he has shown is unmatched. I can never thank you enough.

“To each and every one of my teammates and coaches over the years, I thank you. I also want to make a special mention of Trent Robinson and my current teammates – we’re a tight group and I’m enormously proud to lead you every week.

“Most importantly, I would like to thank my family; my parents for everything they’ve done over the years to help me realise my dreams and especially my wife Terry and our beautiful little girl Azura Trésor for their unconditional love and support. I’m definitely going to enjoy spending more time with you,” he added.

Sydney Roosters Chairman, Nick Politis AM, said: “Anthony has given both the Roosters and the game great service and I thank him for his leadership, professionalism and significant contribution to not only our proud Club but the game of rugby league.

“The name Anthony Minichiello will always be synonymous with the Sydney Roosters,” said Mr Politis AM.

Sydney Roosters Chief Operating Officer Football, Brian Canavan, has praised the one-club player for his services to the Club.

“Having joined the Club’s junior grades in 1997, Anthony has spent more than half his life with the Sydney Roosters, and has been a tremendous achiever at both Club and representative level for a number of years,” said Canavan.

“He has represented the Roosters brand with distinction and been the epitome of the modern day rugby league player and we thank him for his significant service to our Club,” he added.

Sydney Roosters Head Coach, Trent Robinson, thanked Minichiello for his leadership on and off the field.

“Mini is a wonderful leader and such a big part of our proud Club. His professional approach to his training, playing and recovery is testament to the character he is, and has enabled him to achieve all that he has.

“On behalf of the entire playing group, I thank Mini for his important contribution to the team and the Club over the years, and we all look forward to seeing out the season with him,” said Robinson.

At the conclusion of the Roosters 2014 campaign, Minichiello will enjoy some time off before assuming a corporate role within the Club.

“After some time off at the end of the season, I’m looking forward to the next phase of my career. I will be taking on a corporate role with the Roosters, and focussing more time on my business ‘MINIFIT’,” said Minichiello.

“Right now, my main focus is on leading the Roosters as best as I can through the remainder of our 2014 campaign. We still have a job to do,” he added.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This will "free up the roosters cap" so they can buy more players

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Good player, always liked him even though he was a Rooster because he seemed like a nice bloke off the field, all the best to him post-league.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hate the roosters, but respect for being a 1 club player

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Only roosters play I can stand tbh. But gotta admit he is a top bloke and it will be weird not to see him run around after this season. Wish him all the best in the future.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Champion player and one of the "good guys" of the game.

Every player has to retire sooner or later, and I dare say Roosters want to get RTS into the fullback role now.

Roosters will have some cash to spend now. SBW released, Moga released, Mortimer released, Naughton released, Mini retiring.

They have signed very few players for 2015, and that worries me. Bastards will probably launch a MASSIVE raid for Beale/Folau/Hayne and well and truly screw us.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Gun player, always liked him. Very consistant

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic ?

The Roosters best comes from Liverpool, in the heart of Western Sydney.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Champion player and one of the "good guys" of the game.

Every player has to retire sooner or later, and I dare say Roosters want to get RTS into the fullback role now.

Roosters will have some cash to spend now. SBW released, Moga released, Mortimer released, Naughton released, Mini retiring.

They have signed very few players for 2015, and that worries me. Bastards will probably launch a MASSIVE raid for Beale/Folau/Hayne and well and truly screw us.
This, they have enough money to buy Africa now.

If I was them I would be going after hayne. Rts doesn't have the passing game to play FB.

Imagine Hayne behind that forward pack, cot damn son.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Minichello's career proudly brought to you by the letters "O" and "A".

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good on Mini for having a stellar career with only a few glitches, always a fair player and well liked for a Rooster, wish him all the best after footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.