Another Job Interview Dilemma

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mate in an ideal world, that would be perfect. The thing is as I've only been here a week I don't think that I would have proved my value. Sadly, that works against me.
Are you looking to see out this contract, or not liking the job and want to leave already?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Heres what you have to remember your not the first person that your boss seen to have interviews for another job and you won't be the last, your boss understands that this is a business and that you have to provide for your family and therefore wont judge you either way.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Are you looking to see out this contract, or not liking the job and want to leave already?
Definitely don't want to leave, but looking at the long-term future - permanent fulltime job. This job I like but can't see it going on too much longer after March.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely don't want to leave, but looking at the long-term future - permanent fulltime job. This job I like but can't see it going on too much longer after March.
Maybe just ask them. If they stay there a chance, all for time off for another interview and just state you need job stability. They should understand.

Or your might get shocked when they say "no it'll go full time after March.

But they'll appreciate your honesty either way.

Wahesh

Reaction score
My friends, they're at it again (the interviewers that is).

So yesterday I received a phone call for a job I applied for. I thought it was rather strange as I applied for this job just last week (usually they'll take a good 2 or so weeks to get back to you). They asked me some questions on the spot which was rather awkward to answer considering I was at work. Then this morning… they give me a call and ask for me to come in for an interview… tomorrow.

Wow… thanks for the notice. I had to say yes, no choice. They asked if it was too short notice, what am I supposed to say? They asked for a morning session at 9am, I said preferential for it to be in the afternoon so I can at least go to work and leave early. Damn.

What’s bizarre though… the job applications actually close tomorrow, so why would they call me in for an interview when the applications are still open.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

So yesterday I received a phone call for a job I applied for. I thought it was rather strange as I applied for this job just last week (usually they'll take a good 2 or so weeks to get back to you). They asked me some questions on the spot which was rather awkward to answer considering I was at work. Then this morning… they give me a call and ask for me to come in for an interview… tomorrow.

Wow… thanks for the notice. I had to say yes, no choice. They asked if it was too short notice, what am I supposed to say? They asked for a morning session at 9am, I said preferential for it to be in the afternoon so I can at least go to work and leave early. Damn.

What’s bizarre though… the job applications actually close tomorrow, so why would they call me in for an interview when the applications are still open.
They were obviously impressed with you, just keep saying and doing whatever it is your saying or doing to get them this eager

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

If you can make it, go, if you can't, tell them you have a meeting re work or whatever, and schedule a mutually convenient time and day. They should respect that you have current work commitments (if that is the case).

Wahesh

Reaction score
They were obviously impressed with you, just keep saying and doing whatever it is your saying or doing to get them this eager
Well yeah I know but usually in recruitment, they'll wait until applications close, shortlist/cull, then start making phone calls. In this case they didn't do that. I might have an interesting question to ask them tomorrow at the end of the interview.

Wahesh

Reaction score
If you can make it, go, if you can't, tell them you have a meeting re work or whatever, and schedule a mutually convenient time and day. They should respect that you have current work commitments (if that is the case).
Yeah I'll definitely go mate, I don't knock back interviews because it's important to make a good impression on the phone (even though the person who rang me isn't a hiring manager).

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
@Wahesh for recruiters/HR reps, speed to market is crucial in modern recruitment practice, as talent is risked being lost to competitors due to no other reasons than time management. It isnt surprising.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is completely irrelevent. Job close date is either in line with Seeks 30 day expiry or is an arbitrary date imposed for people to get their arses into gear.

You can bet your Kfarsghabi arse that they have been monitoring all resumes via Jobadder/Pageup/Workable/etc the moment the job has come up.

Wahesh

Reaction score
@Wahesh for recruiters/HR reps, speed to market is crucial in modern recruitment practice, as talent is risked being lost to competitors due to no other reasons than time management. It isnt surprising.
That might be true, but I've never been contacted this early in a process before - the application phase hasn't even finished yet. Recruiters know that if a better offer comes along the applicant will likely take it so I'm not entirely sure that time management is a key factor here. Even one of the recruiters in my team said she usually waits for the job ads to close before the culling begins. Mind you this is her process though, but she's the principal recruiter who only recruits executives.

Wahesh

Reaction score
This is completely irrelevent. Job close date is either in line with Seeks 30 day expiry or is an arbitrary date imposed for people to get their arses into gear.

You can bet your Kfarsghabi arse that they have been monitoring all resumes via Jobadder/Pageup/Workable/etc the moment the job has come up.
Well I'm sure they will... but bro, my arse is not from Kfarsghab ;)

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That might be true, but I've never been contacted this early in a process before - the application phase hasn't even finished yet. Recruiters know that if a better offer comes along the applicant will likely take it so I'm not entirely sure that time management is a key factor here. Even one of the recruiters in my team said she usually waits for the job ads to close before the culling begins. Mind you this is her process though, but she's the principal recruiter who only recruits executives.
Usually the higher up and worthiness of the role, where the recruiter/Hiring Manager has the upper hand, dictates whether they take their time more, that and Government with their absurd red tape (calling CURRENT bosses before offer regardless of whether candidate prefers it or not).

Usually, if the role is harder to fill or the candidate is the bomb, they need to get onto it. You are less likely to go to other interviews and accept similar offers once youve committed.

Hiring a harder to fill role like a hiab truck driver, you wait a week to call him that **** has already started a job elsewhere!

There are no set rules with any other this outside respective companies so it can never be said with any certain, but I guarantee you with all my heart that many hiring managers are cherrypicking and calling resumes since the beginning.

Especially internal recruiters because they often have KPI's of role fill turnover time.

The fun part with those recruiters under pressure is when it comes to reference checking time, and how a bad reference can creatively become a good reference with a bit of re wording :laughing:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well yeah I know but usually in recruitment, they'll wait until applications close, shortlist/cull, then start making phone calls. In this case they didn't do that. I might have an interesting question to ask them tomorrow at the end of the interview.
Not always! I've had an employer from a very bureaucratic establishment ask me to submit an application after the close by date because he thought I'd be suitable for the job.
So basically they can do what they want as long as they appear to be doing the right thing.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I just got a call from another company regarding another job application. They told me that the salary I've indicated (which I specified included Super and was negotiable) and the salary they're offering for a role are "no where near" each other. OPEN TO NEGOTIATION AND INCLUDING SUPER AND ARE NO WHERE NEAR EACH OTHER??? They asked me this at the end of the 15 min interview. That was a waste of time. The other thing was the job location. The job ad said "Sydney" - you would think CBD. So I asked her this just to confirm, but no no. they're in NORTH FUCKING RYDE FFS. FMD I'm not going to work there, it would be pain in the arse to get to!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Word on the street is out

You suck a mean zubro

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just don't accept a back ended deal