Andrew McCullough joins Newcastle Knights effective immediately

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This really further shits me about our poor recruitment. Can we recruit the Knights recruitment manager FFS ? Now they've signed a decent young hooker in Brailey and when he gets injured they also manage to snatch a very experienced NRL hooker in McCullough - all while we're stuck with useless JMK and Kotoa (who was 3rd string hooker at the Panthers remember and HE had to approach US). We have the 350K from Foran's injury plus probably 500 - 600K from the sackings of CHN and Oka and the club are reportedly asking if they "have to" fill the 3 spots left in our top 30 ?. WTF ? Why are they sitting on their hands ? Are they hoping to score some interest from their bank or something by not spending ? Did our recruitment team even know McCullough was available ? I very much doubt it. Do they have any kind of decent relationship with the majority of player managers ? Doesn't seem so.

From what I've read Stimson (who'se shit by the way) wasn't going to be offered a new contract by the Storm. I'm unsure about Britt. Even Thompson - well done to them on that one but from what I read only 2-3 clubs were chasing him in the end and it's likely we offered the most coin so I'm not convinced our recruitment team have reached anywhere near a pass mark yet.
There is no $350k for Foran, he’s only missed 2 games and even if he’s not ready for Round 3 he’ll be back well before the number of games he would’ve required to miss to get the cap compensation. The season interruption actually worked in our favour for this.

As for the rest of your rant, let’s wait and see what happens after 30 June, eh? The NRL to date has made no suggestion that that cut-off date for mid season transfers will be changing.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
McCullough is better than what we have, maybe at the wrong time of his career.

Of course, Watson is also better than what we have. But no, let’s chase Grub...
As a fan all you can do sometimes is shake your head.