Andrew Johns urges Bulldogs to sign Panthers young gun Charlie Staines

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns urges Bulldogs to sign Panthers young gun Charlie Staines

League legend Andrew Johns has urged the Bulldogs to sign boom Panthers rookie Charlie Staines as their next long term fullback – a move that would force the highly paid Dallin Watene-Zelezniak to the wing.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the table-topping Panthers had granted 19-year-old Staines permission to talk to rival clubs, with his NRL path currently blocked by first choice fullback Dylan Edwards.
The Bulldogs and Tigers are believed to be circling Staines, who also has a contract offer from the Panthers through to 2023.
Watene-Zelezniak is currently out of favour at Belmore, while the versatile Will Hopoate will wear the Bulldogs' No.1 jersey against the Warriors on Sunday.
But, speaking on Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour, Johns said Staines to the Dogs was an obvious fit.
"Look, he's a first grader, a long-term NRL player for sure," Johns said.
"Speaking to Brad Fittler, he came through the junior pathways for the NSW team – and he's a fullback.
"I can imagine him going to the Dogs, he'd be a great pickup.
"Maybe start at fullback.
"You see a lot of those fullbacks start on the wing but then gradually get back there.
"Going on what Freddie said, he's an out and out fullback…
"Four tries on debut (while playing on the wing) and his lunatic mates in the crowd, that was great theatre."
Johns added that he viewed New Zealand international Watene-Zelezniak as a winger while the Panthers had some "big decisions" as they try to keep the cream of their "extraordinary talent."
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary this week gave his best sales pitch to Staines, while he was not happy "at all" for the youngster to test the market.
"We've put forward what we believe is a very good offer and we feel like we can offer Charlie the opportunity to fulfil his potential at the right timing and to grow at his own pace," Cleary said.
"I think that's the best opportunity, is at this club with a lot of his friends and teammates that he's become accustomed to over the last couple of years.
"Obviously he's only had a couple of goes at first grade and he's done a pretty good job, but his body is still getting used to the whole thing
"We don't want him to test the market at the moment but the reality of life is that's the way the system works.
"The only reason we'd be glad he's testing the market is to try and expedite that process and be able to sign him and keep him here and know he'll be a part of our future.
"Charlie has always played fullback and he probably sees his future in that position, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't…
"The thing with Charlie is, we're very keen on making sure that our young players develop at their own pace without too much pressure.
"I think we've shown in the past how that can work and I think it'll work for him as well."
Image may contain: 1 person

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Penrith want to keep him why would they let him test the market?

Cleary said;
"The only reason we'd be glad he's testing the market is to try and expedite that process and be able to sign him and keep him here and know he'll be a part of our future.

Surely the Dogs can offer more $ then Penrith, as the Panthers have a lot of young talent to keep. A year on the wing and then back to fullback for 2022.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally, Joey has a good idea for once.....about fucking time

I said it before, Penrith letting him test the market is fucking stupid as it will come back to bite them in the bum

Even if Penrith can match our offer, we have the attacking coach (the major reason behind Penrith's success this year) and we have a guaranteed FB spot for him. Plus apparently we have his partner in crime in Burton who setup most of his tries for him in the juniors (based on David Holland)

Right now he's stuck behind a few players for FB whereas he could be starting 1 for us next year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Offer him decent (not silly) money and the opportunity to play in his preferred position and I think we have a good chance.

Unless we offer similar money to what Penrith is offering I think letting him test the market might backfire on them.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We don't get Staines unless we get Burton imo. Go into negotiations and say hey we are offering you 1. Fullback, 2. More money, 3. Your junior teammate in Burton is joining us.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Don't think Burton is any chance of happening.
I think the odds of us getting him increased tenfold when Martin was extended. The whole idea of playing Burton as a backrower just went out the window as Yeo and Kikau arent getting benched and they still have Capewell. Either one of Luai or Burton will be ours surely

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the odds of us getting him increased tenfold when Martin was extended. The whole idea of playing Burton as a backrower just went out the window as Yeo and Kikau arent getting benched and they still have Capewell. Either one of Luai or Burton will be ours surely
Don't think it matters, he wants to stay their next season and knows who's Infront of him. 2022 could be a different story...but I'd hope we've had made a move on other players before then.