Opinion Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler pick club to resurrect Jack Bird's career

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd play Bird at lock rather then in the halves.
He breaks downs down at training or playing centre. He'd barely last about three games in the forwards before he got injured again.. Regardless of where he plays he's too big an injury risk.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have zero interest in helping the Broncos fix an error they made with their recruitment. They splashed big money on both Bird and Milford around the same time. And it's coming back to bite them to an extent with Bird on the sidelines and Milford not close to living up to the hype.

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
NRL legends Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler have urged the Canterbury Bulldogs to look at making a bid to recruit injury-hit Broncos star Jack Bird.

Bird, 25, is contracted to Brisbane until the end of this season on almost $1 million-a-year, and an option for 2021. He was this week given permission by Brisbane to negotiate a move to a rival NRL club as the Broncos put their salary cap focus on securing David Fifita.

The versatile former Sharks premiership-winner has had a rotten run of luck since joining the Broncos in 2018 with repeated long-term injuries.

However as he recovers from his most recent setback - a ruptured ACL ruling him out of the 2020 season - Johns says an opportunity to move to the Bulldogs could revive his career.

"If I was the Bulldogs, with the right price-tag I would buy him as a running five-eighth outside Kieran Foran," Johns said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.

"I think he's an explosive runner, he's super aggressive. He played Origin a few years ago off the bench. He's tough, he competes.

"[He] lost his way up there in Brisbane. He's another one who put some weight on up there, didn't look fit, rock-hard fit - whether that was a by-product of being away from home, he got injured, did his knee.

"Sometimes when young players have a string of injuries, it can extend their career later. I think as a running five-eighth at the Bulldogs he would be suited outside Kieran Foran, with the right game plan and with certain limitations on how he played.

"I'd love to see him get back into rep footy. Tough, tough boy."

Kangaroos and Roosters great Brad Fittler agreed the move would be smart for both the Bulldogs and for Bird, but it would be bittersweet.

"To watch him go to another club and do well will just make me cry," Fittler said.

"It's such a shame I think. The Broncos have invested so much in Jack Bird."

Asked whether the Bulldogs would need to fork out big bucks for Bird, Fittler said: "It all depends how much [the Broncos have] lost their patience."

Fittler added that Bird's unique playing style is ideal for the set-up at Canterbury.

"I do like the idea of what Joey was saying about Canterbury," he explained.

"Jack Bird is not conventional. He doesn't run like conventional players, he doesn't pass. He's just strong.

"There were shots when he played Origin - I remember he got the ball and he ran into Greg Inglis and the back-rower and he knocked them over. He's so powerful.

"I think Canterbury would be a great fit because they've never been a club that have looked conventional. They've always fought hard for points. He's the type of player that looks like he'd suit them."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jack-b...cos-star/fb0034b4-a715-45e4-b9b9-1a4c4a0978d6
Dear Mr Johns,

Thank you for your interest in this matter. After careful consideration (all of 8 seconds) we regretfully inform you that your request has not been successful. However, should you recommend players such as Ponga or Tedesco, we will reconsider proposals put forward by you.

Regards

Every Normal Bulldogs Fan / Director

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really like Bird as a player but it's a hell of a risk with his injury record.

2018 - Shoulder and sternum
2019 - Left ACL
2020 - Left ACL

The failure rate of doing the ACL a second time post initial surgery is 1 to 8%.
The failure rate of doing the same ACL a third time jumps to 14%
Assuming he gets back to 100% fitness by the start of 2021 it'll take him half the season to get his confidence in the knee back.
If he does get back to full fitness and has a favourable injury run then 500k would be great value.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Birds had serious injuries, could become another Foran playing about half the games in a season if that...big risk, would have to be cheap

how about the knights sign him

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Clifford now bird?? These pricks are trying to fit us up with every dud in the NRL

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
John's views are very biased. He likes to talk up players that were in the NSW camp with him or Newcastle boys..

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey Johns struggles to put coherent sentences together, let alone have any idea about who should go where or what they should do.
Agreed although I'm surprised that Johns remembered to use the word "embellish" during the More Joyous racing scandal after someone clearly instructed him what to say given his limited vocabulary. Johns was a great player no doubt but there was a lot of media hyperbole about his ability. 1.5 premierships over a 15 year career when his side was consistently stacked with about 10+ Origin/Test players. Doesn't compare to Mortimer's 4 premierships over a 13 year career where the game was more violent and tougher for playmakers under the 5 metre rule. Sterlo kills Johns as a commentator, offers far more insight and intelligence than Johns will ever attain.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah, pass on bird.. Baz will sign who he wants.. and we don’t need another made of glass thanks.!!!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Would love to see him get back to his best just not with us rn. If we did sign him 300k max

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's better players we could get from the Broncos, we need players we can rely on from day 1, Foran is an example of a player you just can't fix, at the money being spoken about this should never be on the cards.

John's, Fittler and Daley, honestly their opinions sometimes are a worry.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldnt object to a 250K punt on Bird otherwise no thanks.. Similar to a Foran situation with chronic injuries..

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, pass on bird.. Baz will sign who he wants.. and we don’t need another made of glass thanks.!!!
Yeah... especially in the Halves... I see this as one of the strengths we will have with Baz and haven't had for a long time.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's better players we could get from the Broncos, we need players we can rely on from day 1, Foran is an example of a player you just can't fix, at the money being spoken about this should never be on the cards.

John's, Fittler and Daley, honestly their opinions sometimes are a worry.
I would say often rather than sometimes. Johns, Fittler and Daley are great players but their "immortal" or "next immortal" status is more media hyperbole than actual ability and achievements compared to other great players. I'll take Mortimer and Lamb and even Sterling over any of those 3 any day of the week.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey doesnt like canterbury, i think you would get a more intelligent conversation about footy with parramatta jesus

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s the worst halves pairing in history. Not one of them can kick a ball more then 30 metres. If bird comes he plays lock or centre