Official Andrew Hill quits

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh ok, so all of Barretts recritment power and hard work is thanks to Hill. I get it now. Thanks for that.
Hill still played a part in my view.
As likely did Lynne (with Baz and Cotric) and now Khoury in selling the message.
Baz is obviously a magnet - players are clearly attracted to learn and grow under him / his staff and that’s great for our club - but the CEO still has to negotiate the deal with the player / their management and ensure said deal fits under our cap for its duration. The coach doesn’t do any of that - separation of church and state so to speak. It can go wrong anywhere until signed even with mutual good intent.

Where perhaps the club is looking for more than Hill could offer is top notch commercial nous to ensure ongoing growth via sponsorships and corporate partners as the club continues to rebound in strength and on field results. Will be interesting to see who gets the gig as there will be thousands of applicants.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Credibility should mean something to most of us...
Did we expect the club or Hill to come out and rubbish each other in the media ?
Let's be honest, it wouldn't do no one any favors especially Hill !
I ask again these questions ?
If Hill was such a great CEO
Why did he miss out on so many player's signatures ? ( not including Cotric & Thompson who we paid overs for )
Why did he need Lynne to accompany him to the UK to convince Thompson ?
If we can't read between the lines we will never understand what happens behind closed doors.
Let me assure, The Club is better for it !!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If Hill was such a great CEO
Why did he miss out on so many player's signatures ?
How do you know we missed out on "so many players signatures"?
Do you seriously believe every media rumour about what club is chasing what player?
Especially when player agents drop clubs names just to increase their ask.

(not including Cotric & Thompson who we paid overs for)
That's your opinion, many would disagree with you.
But even if it has some semblance of truth, we had to pay "overs" (whatever the fark "overs" is) to get the ball rolling in the recruitment market.

Why did he need Lynne to accompany him to the UK to convince Thompson ?
Who accompanied who is irrelevant, they went together and signed the targeted player, that's all that really matters.
It adds gravitas to the process when the Chairperson of the Board of a club AND the CEO both approach a player.
It leaves no room for doubt that "We are serious about wanting you to join us".

If we can't read between the lines we will never understand what happens behind closed doors.
I'd always suggest reading the lines first before trying to read between them.

Go Dogs

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you know we missed out on "so many players signatures"?
Do you seriously believe every media rumour about what club is chasing what player?
Especially when player agents drop clubs names just to increase their ask.

That's your opinion, many would disagree with you.
But even if it has some semblance of truth, we had to pay "overs" (whatever the fark "overs" is) to get the ball rolling in the recruitment market.

Who accompanied who is irrelevant, they went together and signed the targeted player, that's all that really matters.
It adds gravitas to the process when the Chairperson of the Board of a club AND the CEO both approach a player.
It leaves no room for doubt that "We are serious about wanting you to join us".

I'd always suggest reading the lines first before trying to read between them.

Go Dogs
Please mate don't try to discredit my information
I do know and what I know doesn't come from the media
More importantly the club will never hang out their dirty laundry no one does, this is why we have to read between the lines :grinning:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hill still played a part in my view.
As likely did Lynne (with Baz and Cotric) and now Khoury in selling the message.
Baz is obviously a magnet - players are clearly attracted to learn and grow under him / his staff and that’s great for our club - but the CEO still has to negotiate the deal with the player / their management and ensure said deal fits under our cap for its duration. The coach doesn’t do any of that - separation of church and state so to speak. It can go wrong anywhere until signed even with mutual good intent.

Where perhaps the club is looking for more than Hill could offer is top notch commercial nous to ensure ongoing growth via sponsorships and corporate partners as the club continues to rebound in strength and on field results. Will be interesting to see who gets the gig as there will be thousands of applicants.
I hear what your saying, and I agree. I was never bagging Hill. Not at all. But I think Barrett has more to do with the turnaround then Hill.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All fair a reasonable points and views. As the chairman stated they are looking for a new CEO. Wondering when this will be announced. If we have a professional team as Baz seems to have built with the write coaching support around him. Our junior recruitment seems to be improving. We need the front office running professional. This will then encourage more sponsorship and fans through the gate with a successful team and well managed club. So on my long winded opinion we need to get on with hiring the CEO and announcing it

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Please mate don't try to discredit my information
I do know and what I know doesn't come from the media
More importantly the club will never hang out their dirty laundry no one does, this is why we have to read between the lines :grinning:
Here’s the problem, there is no logic in what you are claiming. Additionally the time line simply does not align. When the lines have some logic and when the timing in sensible then maybe it might be worth trying to read between them.

Go Dogs

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Reading between the lines I saw it as pretty damning that Steve Hanson made mention of the fact he was waiting on a call from Hill for 3 days.

I understand the need for vetting, sorting financials board approval and such but someone of Hansons renown deserves the respect of a simple, prompt phone call along the lines of "You're a serious operator mate, we want you on board we will see if we can ge it done.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reading between the lines I saw it as pretty damning that Steve Hanson made mention of the fact he was waiting on a call from Hill for 3 days.

I understand the need for vetting, sorting financials board approval and such but someone of Hansons renown diserves the respect of a simple, prompt phone call along the lines of "You're a serious operators mate, we want you on board we will see if can it done.
You pretty much summed it up !!!

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not know the 'Hanson waiting on 3days for a call' story but seriously, he can only address the team via zoom from NZ, so whats the rush. If he got the shits over that, sounds like he's a typical rugby union tosser.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
And who hired Trent Barrett?
Not the CEO.......it would have been a Board decision and perhaps signed off by the CEO. No doubt he would have been involved in the discussions and negotiations, but it is the Board that makes the decision. Plain and simple.....

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Board members are not employees, they are not working 5 days a week 9 to 5, they may only meet monthly for a couple of hours and Directors attendances at Board Meetings are included in the Annual Report. Often Directors have more than one Board that they sit on and the head of the Board is commonly referred to as the Chairperson. Directors are often unpaid positions, for example I am a Director of 2 organisations and they reimburse me for any expenses that I might incur on their behalf, but I don't get paid as such. Directors have compliance and fiduciary requirements as per the Corporations Act but the operating activities of the business are not their direct responsibility.

The actual day to day overall management of the Club (Company, Organisation etc) is carried out by employees with the common titles of Chief Executive Officer, General Manager, Managing Director, Chief Operating Officer etc. All staff report through the chain of command to the CEO, GM, COO, MD etc. They work 5 days, 9 to 5 (nominally) and are exclusively employed by the organisation, for example it is most unusual for a CEO to have another paid job. Although senior executives often have unpaid roles, particularly with charities and other not for profit organisations.

Directors are voted in by the shareholders, or in our case members, and the CEO, GM, COO, MD etc is appointed by the Board.

Go Dogs
Absolutely, but it is the Board that generally sets the policies and guidelines for the CEO and staff to follow......so they continue to have a vital role. No doubt they will consult with and listen to the CEO, but in the end, the final decisions are theirs to make.........and as you say, the Board members taken on the liability issues under Corps Law.....

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if buzz will report this, didn't he say not long ago we were struggling....what was the sharks result?