An article worth sharing

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Couldnt agree more. Not an expert so cant tell if we dont have the structure or the ball movement is too slow but we are not isolating opponent or creating space

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
It's League 101, you support your players even if you are never going to get the ball. You run the line as if you are so they have options and you commit the defence. Not half arsed supporting runs where the defence doesn't bother to account for you.

Matty Johns podcast has a little more about how you practice stuff on the field, especially for playmakers. Be awesome if we could get Matty or Cooper down to give the boys a hand with that stuff, how to think, play to your strengths. Maybe make Barrett watch some eps cause they are really discussing footy 101 and it shows what our guys are not doing.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is well worth the 5 minute read. It touches on why our forwards are ineffective and how our halves get terrible ball:

Great article.
Nothing really new here except the DS term he used to describe it.

It's clear that when journos stumble on the key issues of our attack, and our esteemed coaching staff don't, we are fucked.

Im glad its been posted. Hopefully it sends some shock waves around the club and some people pull their finger out and do something about it.

Im bitterly disappointed with both coaching staff and our recruited players who should be well versed on this concept but have failed to bring it to our play

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rubbish article. Heaps better passing to a non ball playing forward who then has options to pass to a flat footed forward or surprise everyone with a pass to a flat footed half. Flat footed is the way of the future
Well at least we are winning that stat...

What was that definition of insanity again?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rubbish article. Heaps better passing to a non ball playing forward who then has options to pass to a flat footed forward or surprise everyone with a pass to a flat footed half. Flat footed is the way of the future
Tha article is bang on and one of the problems I have noted for some time. We never have support play and it's always one out running and usually off a pass from the dummy half that struggles to get wide of the ruck.
You are correct about our forwards being in the way and flat footed. All these problems stem from poor service from dummy half and not pushing up in numbers.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is a more detailed data based way of summarising "off the ball" player activity - i dont know if there is an equivalent "count" in defence - but the dogs dont seem to do much work off the ball when defending.

Good article

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great article. Thanks for sharing. I’m not an expert but I can see the differences between the way the dogs play to other teams. The good attacking teams have players in motion decoy runners, fast play the balls, and attacking players who take the line on. We do very little of that and unfortunately it just comes down to coaching.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This is what is embarrassing... I got taught it and I still teach it now to my Jnr's.

Its not rocket science.
Sometimes doing the basics really well can take you a long way bro. My other pet hate is kids that don’t know how to draw and pass. These are the non-negotiable when I coach. Mind you I am just passing down what I was taught.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's basic Rugby League 101 - Never run 1 out & I've been calling us out on this for years.

Best example - TPJ draws defenders like no other forward in our team, but yet our brain wave coaches still haven't taught him to offload before the line to another forward or anyone for that matter hitting the hole next to him "DUH".

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's pathetic that after all of these years of losing, different coaches and regimes etc, we're still struggling to do the basics right.. The fact that it's never addressed and there's no accountability or repercussions for the poor performances just compounds the problem.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope someone send this to Barrett because he's obviously unaware of it or things would be different before now. Just further "proof" that he's a shit coach.

The thing that frustrates the shit out of me is we can be six points down with 2 minutes to go and we're still running 5 settlers with a bomb on the 5th (bomb we're not even competing for)

"That brings us to the Bulldogs. It’s not a surprise that they’re bad at attacking at this stage, because it’s been done to death that they had the highest completion rate but scored the fewest tries in the NRL last year. Watching back, however, it’s clear that they really don’t bother that much with trying to make the opposition think.

They had five sets with zero push supports at all – no other side went more than one set without any – and even managed several with one or none when in good ball. In the half studied, they had 41 opposition half play-the-balls and 25 inside 20m play-the-balls, but failed to ask any tough questions of the Roosters’ defence.

As Cronulla have an agile pack, so the Dogs have a big, slow one. That’s not necessarily bad – Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan and Luke Thompson are all good at what they do – but it does look quite exposed in this model.

If you were wondering why their halfbacks never get any good ball, the fact that the defence always knows exactly where the footy is going might go a long way to explaining it"