Opinion Am I asking for too much?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No you're not asking too much at all - it's very do-able - just need the club to buy in.
It's a topic somewhat close to me so I'm happy to raise it next time I'm speaking to the relevant people.
It's currently 2020, I think it's absolutely bizarre that they need to buy into this. The club just feels lacking is so many areas right now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't there some arrangement whereby the NRL supplies the format plus overall web page look and feel to maintain the common "league look"? They also appear to supply most of the content which is often (but not always) a duplicate of what appeared on the NRL web site earlier. I don't look at the other teams web sites much but they seem to suffer from the same problem. Lack of content and often what's there is not all that interesting, for example the Chooks one currently has some guy making a shake, who cares. Last year we had quite a few pre season training videos, I can't say as I have seen one this year.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Even if I had fond memories of Pay it still wouldn't mean shit, playing and coaching are two different things.
They are, but there's still some links to the two creatively. And more emphasis on today, I agree.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't there some arrangement whereby the NRL supplies the format plus overall web page look and feel to maintain the common "league look"? They also appear to supply most of the content which is often (but not always) a duplicate of what appeared on the NRL web site earlier. I don't look at the other teams web sites much but they seem to suffer from the same problem. Lack of content and often what's there is not all that interesting, for example the Chooks one currently has some guy making a shake, who cares. Last year we had quite a few pre season training videos, I can't say as I have seen one this year.

Go Dogs
Yes, there's a deal with the NRL & Telstra for design of all club websites and apps - they're basically the same template.
Not sure how much freedom clubs get over the content, but from what some posters are saying looks like they definitely have the chance to improve it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Shit just realised I did a @David holland and tagged this as official, my bad.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
You are right that the NRL gives clubs the template and content but club's have the freedom to add their own in house content. We seem to rely on 95% NRL content.

Look at this from the Tigers https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/01/29/moving-forward-part-one/ thats down by the Tigers and its brilliant I'd love to see stuff like this about the 'Dogs.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The clubs stuck in the stone age with Steve Turner still in charge of the media side of things. You need a experienced professional doing this type of thing now.
Who’s in charge of hiring and firing in that department?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think even a young 20 something kid that's up to date with all the latest tech would nail it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all they needed was their phone and it would be cheap as piss. It's more an effort thing on behalf of the club than a money thing I think and that's a really bad look and impression of them isn't it. Attention to detail is a sign of professionalism. Actually I can easily see why we don't have a major sponsor.
I agree largely with the first part but the second part I think there's more to it. Whilst a major sponsor might like extra sizzle via digital content - depending on what sort of business they are they're likely after much more than clicks, unless that also drives immediate revenue opportunities to them as well.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd say it would be David Townsend (GM of Media & Communications) or Andrew Hill
Surely Hilly wouldn't deal with that directly? He's got a few larger items...
Should definitely be David.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I agree largely with the first part but the second part I think there's more to it. Whilst a major sponsor might like extra sizzle via digital content - depending on what sort of business they are they're likely after much more than clicks, unless that also drives immediate revenue opportunities to them as well.
Yeah I was just more pointing out that the tech these days is so good, easy and cheap that most of the millennials are all over it. Once upon of time to access the level of tech would have cost huge amounts with professional company's where as now it's basic access with most people able to use it. One would think that if a company was considering throwing some coin towards sponsorship the first thing they would do is a google search the team to learn more. This would obviously lead them to our website. Like everything it's first impressions and then what if they are wanting more info? Information and communication should be a very high priority as it would lead to memberships, sponsorships and a well informed fan base not to mention reaching out to a sponsors customers and generating them new customers.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good point and very valid. I don’t even think it’s a budget thing these days with technology it’s just getting a competent person involved.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it unrealistic of me to expect the club to be able to produce content similar to this? I find it far easier to relate to players and staff when you see them behind the scenes interacting with each other through various drills and activities.

Obviously don't expect it to be at the same level of this or as regularly, but fuck me give us some more than a few useless pictures of players running.

Totally agree. The NRL is way behind the times in regard to this! In a day and age where Instagram and social media are so important to many businesses, it's ridiculous that we are not doing something like this on a regular basis.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed. I want to see videos of them getting punished on the grass and in the gym.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I was just more pointing out that the tech these days is so good, easy and cheap that most of the millennials are all over it. Once upon of time to access the level of tech would have cost huge amounts with professional company's where as now it's basic access with most people able to use it. One would think that if a company was considering throwing some coin towards sponsorship the first thing they would do is a google search the team to learn more. This would obviously lead them to our website. Like everything it's first impressions and then what if they are wanting more info? Information and communication should be a very high priority as it would lead to memberships, sponsorships and a well informed fan base not to mention reaching out to a sponsors customers and generating them new customers.
Definitely - not arguing with you at all mate - definite improvements required that need not cost the earth and could even be self sufficient relatively quickly.
The Dogs are a strong brand but like all businesses have to move with the times so they don't get lost in the noise.
The instant gratification generation will simply demand no less.
I was surprised to see some of their data not that long ago in terms of other brand associations that the membership base had - so they definitely collect the data - it's how they execute on it that appears to be lacking.
However, digital solutions aren't our only need - our product is still footy - and still only thrives when there's bums on seats. Yes, that's somewhat related to performance but if we can convert more supporters to members that would be a quick win as well.