Allan Impresses At Fullback

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Although Allan didn't do anything spectacular last night, he was confident in everything he did and has a lot of class about him.

The way he consistently creates overlaps, especially in the attacking 20 is something we've missed from a fullback since Barba.

He may not be the fastest, but he's strong and has good footwork plus has a decent kicking game. Souths signed him from Brisbane for big money before he played FG because of his potential.

He was played out of position on the wing for a while at Souths but once he got his chance at fullback last year, he was a different player and showed why he was hyped as a rookie. Hopefully we've found our long term solution at fullback. Allan will only get better and I think he'll be up there in try assists for fullbacks this season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Although Allan didn't do anything spectacular last night, he was confident in everything he did and has a lot of class about him.

The way he consistently creates overlaps, especially in the attacking 20 is something we've missed from a fullback since Barba.

He may not be the fastest, but he's strong and has good footwork plus has a decent kicking game. Souths signed him from Brisbane for big money before he played FG because of his potential.

He was played out of position on the wing for a while at Souths but once he got his chance at fullback last year, he was a different player and showed why he was hyped as a rookie. Hopefully we've found our long term solution at fullback. Allan will only get better and I think he'll be up there in try assists for fullbacks this season.
He certainly was confident. Didnt spill any kicks, and looked good on the ball. He alao missed most of the preseason training with our team. As the season progresses, so will he. Lookimg forward to seeing how he goes further down the track.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

A trial is not the same as playing for competition points.

Top rated players on good money don't have to shine; they know that they are safe in the side, and just play to get the cobwebs out from a few months without real competition. It's up to the younger ones pushing a spot to play for selection. Even so, I was happy with his effort. I expect he will be even better when the winning counts.

The whole team should lift as the adrenalin kicks in, and Barrett keeps his eye on their performances. I'm hoping some of the rated sides take us as their usual easy win, and find out the hard way - but that's wishful thinking.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He certainly was confident. Didnt spill any kicks, and looked good on the ball. He alao missed most of the preseason training with our team. As the season progresses, so will he. Lookimg forward to seeing how he goes further down the track.
Once we get more pace in the team with Averillo and Fox to take advantage of those overlaps, as well as Burton, we're going to be racking up a lot of points..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looked confident and I really like the way he attacks the ball on kick returns. We looked at our most dangerous in attack when he chimed in at the back and his ball playing is going to be huge. I can see him becoming one of the most important players in the side.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah.....but that's next year. I want to have a few games to watch, replay, and enjoy this year.
Allan will still create overlaps. Hopefully Meaney and DWZ can finish a few plus we still have game breaking ability from Averillo and Cotric so I reckon once the combinations gel, we'll start scoring our fair share of tries this season.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Allan was good, nice ball playing and safe at the back, better lateral movement than hoppa on defense too, and played his part in overlap set plays perfectly too

Cotric was immense as well, havent seen that desire to dominate in a dogs jersey for a while

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes had some good touches,and was feeling his way in very well,for me dwz is a real worry,he was caught out in defence so many times,and a real worry with the high ball,like last year,he is starting to become a liability,with opposition attacks constantly targeting his side.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes had some good touches,and was feeling his way in very well,for me dwz is a real worry,he was caught out in defence so many times,and a real worry with the high ball,like last year,he is starting to become a liability,with opposition attacks constantly targeting his side.
You can't necessarily blame DWZ for those overlap tries .. if he holds his position the try is scored closer to the posts and the hole will be created in between DWZ and Hoppa rather than outside of DWZ..

The fault of those tries falls on Hoppa, waddell or Flanagan.. they should of counted the overlap and jammed in rather than holding the line. If if they just temporarily held up the pass , it would of been enough for the cover defense to turn up..

Maybe DWZ should of jammed in also.. but the blame can be shared by those 4..

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i enjoyed watching him play. When he gets some games under his belt will only get better.
Its been a while since we can actually say we now have a fullback and happy to say that now. He stood out for me as the best bulldog on the day.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good to see a fullback up at the ruck hoping to get an offload off a forward. Haven’t seen that in a long time.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not a big Allan fan but he was impressive yesterday and the end of last year with Souths. Flanagan on the other hand is just terrible. Offers nothing.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not a big Allan fan but he was impressive yesterday and the end of last year with Souths. Flanagan on the other hand is just terrible. Offers nothing.
Mate last year Luai and Cleary were absolutely shit in the 9s games and round one they were very good just be positive for once