All paws on top four: Jackson tips big things for Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Jackson, the heart and soul of Belmore, maintains Canterbury can be a top-four team next year
"I completely believe that and wouldn't say it if I didn't," Jackson told the Herald.
"But with the squad we've got at the moment, I'm confident we can really push next year. If we keep playing the way we have the past six to eight weeks, and we have that defensive focus, there's no reason why we can't be top-four team next year. Absolutely.''

The Bulldogs will try to close out the season with a sixth win in their final nine games when they host Brisbane at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.
"I'd love to win a premiership with the club. That's the goal," Jackson said.

"I'd love to bring a premiership back to Canterbury and be a part of the future success.

"We have a young squad, but the guys will only get better, thety're already playing some outstanding footy, and I want to be a part of it when we are really successful and one of the benchmark clubs."
Jackson fronted up to Parramatta lock forward Nathan Brown when he did not appreciate the late hit on Dallin Watene-Zelezniak a few weeks ago. He was there against Brisbane a couple of months ago when making a tremendous and desperate try-saving cover tackle on Corey Oates.
If you were to back it up a little further again, Jackson, like a true leader, made a point of showing support for Adam Elliott and Asipeli Fine when they were forced to front court over the famous Mad Monday celebrations.
As Bulldogs coach Dean Pay said: "Jacko would be the first one you'd want to jump into the trenches with, that's for sure. He'd be a Canterbury player in any era.

"We've had a tough 18 months and his performances each and every week is what you expect from him being the person he is."

Jackson cringed when it was suggested he was like a younger version of Pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Realistically we can't, but there's always a chance!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're a few players away from that. But who knows what happens in the off season and who becomes available.

Pay also needs to use the best players available and make better use of the interchange next season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're a few players away from that. But who knows what happens in the off season and who becomes available.

Pay also needs to use the best players available and make better use of the interchange next season.
People have different opinions to what our best 17 is tho. Pay's in the best position to judge that and it's up to him if he persists or changes it, I feel like he's even done a hybrid of both. Our bench doesn't get many minutes and we don't have a proper utility to utilise, but maybe Pay just wants his more experienced players on the field as much as possible.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
People have different opinions to what our best 17 is tho. Pay's in the best position to judge that and it's up to him if he persists or changes it, I feel like he's even done a hybrid of both. Our bench doesn't get many minutes and we don't have a proper utility to utilise, but maybe Pay just wants his more experienced players on the field as much as possible.
Agree people have different opinions. As an example for me Meaney isn't a winger but he's got better as the seasons gone on. I can also never agree with a player in Cogger sitting on the bench playing 0 minutes.

Atm he might have the freedom of playing around with things as we aren't a chance of finals but next year if he goes 10 rounds with only a few wins he's going to be under pressure.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who says we can’t needs to think of our last few games .. we beat a lot of teams .. we can be versatile and deffs make the 8 next year but the team needs to be ready from the get go.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Top 4 no chance with current roster. But with a couple of astute additions, anything is possible

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Top 4 defence the last 2 months for sure. Attack still needs a bit more work.. a gun centre outside of Fozza and CHN and I reckon we score more points.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Still another half, centre and hooker away from a top four finish

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He deserves the old kennel Rainbow Icon for his optimism..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with this more then any other post of yours. He does know more then us about individual players at the club, and he has every right to use the bench to how he sees fit.
He has made some mistakes along the way, and does need to get better with his rotations, but he is a relatively new coach. It will happen.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone who says we can’t needs to think of our last few games .. we beat a lot of teams .. we can be versatile and deffs make the 8 next year but the team needs to be ready from the get go.
We definitely do!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jacko must be on mad Monday already
Plz, turn it up
We have no hooker, no half and no strike centre.
But hey we’re top 4 certainties

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Lewis is still in the halves we won't make top 4... gotta score points to get that far and he simply struggles to create them. Last team to really defend their way to the finals was the sharks in 08 and I think they went out in straight sets

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why does he need to talk shit

Our roster is shit

Let’s just make the top 8

I hate reaching so high and failing seems like that’s all we been doing the past few years

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top 8 would have been enough said. Don’t aim too high just now Jacko.. as long as we make the 8 we will all be happy, I’m sure I speak for most lol!!

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Think the problem of not being able to score more then a couple of tries per game needs to be fixed before we can expect top 4. Unless you win nearly every game, for n against comes into play to be up there and ours wouldn't be very good winning by small margins.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Off season hasnt even begun and the talk has already started, again.
The team/coach probably have a duty to talk to the media, they're obviously not going to talk the team down. At the same time they haven't delivered the last 2 years after all the dribbling in the off season so..
From here on in Ill be placing a self imposed ban reading Tolman, Elliot etc articles that will be coming our way over the coming months. I might just tune out altogether until round 1 next year.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why does he need to talk shit

Our roster is shit

Let’s just make the top 8

I hate reaching so high and failing seems like that’s all we been doing the past few years
If he comes out and says we will win the comp next year, half the kennelers would believe that too.
Top 8 next year is achievable but probably not realistic imo