News All Blacks’ Steve Hansen backs Trent Barrett for Canterbury Bulldogs rebuild

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2021: All Blacks’ Steve Hansen backs Trent Barrett for Canterbury Bulldogs rebuild

Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen admits there is no quick fix to Canterbury’s struggles but insists the club has the right man to lead them out of the doldrums.

"Don’t run. Don’t hide. Own it."

This is the Bulldogs way out of the NRL cellar, according to Steve Hansen, considered by many as the greatest All Blacks coach of all time.

In his only interview since being appointed as the high performance consultant for Canterbury last year, Hansen has revealed how he has been supplying the Bulldogs with the principles of the legendary All Blacks to turn the club around after years of failure.

In the wake of the Dogs’ 52-18 loss to the Melbourne Storm at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, Hansen also endorsed coach Trent Barrett as the man to lead the club out of the doldrums.

“Everybody in the Bulldogs would say they’re not where they want to be, but you can’t just snap your fingers and get there,’’ Hansen said.

“It’s not just a one-year thing — it’s about success for the rest of the club’s history.

“You’re trying to change something that hasn’t been working for a while now, going off results on the footy park.

“It’s about putting strategies in place, from the board to CEO, to coaching staff, be it in recruitment in players and staff.

“The recruitment of Trent was the first part and now it’s about supporting him.

“He’s got the patience, he’s got the work ethic and knowledge to implement what needs to happen.

“The only reason he wouldn’t be successful would be the fact that the alignment with management wouldn’t work and from what I can see they seem to be pretty aligned on where they want to go.”

ALL BLACKS TO BELMORE

Under Hansen‘s guidance, the All Blacks only lost 10 games in 108 matches, resulting in them being named World Rugby’s team of the year from 2012 to 2017.

He first met Barrett in 2019, when the young coach spent a week inside All Blacks camp, immersing himself in an attempt to upskill as an NRL mentor.

Their relationship led Barrett to asking Hansen to work in an overarching advisory role when he was appointed head coach of the Dogs last October.

From phone calls, text messages and Zoom chats over the past six months, Barrett and Hansen have spent every week this year working on the strategies required to pull Canterbury out of the bottom-four mire.

“With the All Blacks, it’s not about being happy where you are. It’s about trying to be better every day,’’ Hansen said.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re the Bulldogs or the All Blacks, the principle is the same.

“You’ve got to want to get out of bed and work hard to get better.

“Not every day are you going to achieve that, but if you’re striving to, you’ve got a better chance to get to where you need to get to.

“He’s going through a tough time at the moment, so it’s about staying positive and making sure the processes are right.”

BELIEF

Without a victory this season, the Bulldogs are a team chasing wins — and with that, confidence. Hansen says he likes what he sees in one particular area that is crucial to the Dogs recovery mission.

“People can do extraordinary things when they believe,” Hansen said.

“They can do nothing when they don’t.

“The (Canterbury) players believe in the process, they understand they’ve got things to do themselves and I think that’s part of an alignment.

“Everyone has to be aligned and heading down the same path.

“For some clubs, the path is longer than others.

“Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, who have allowed things to go the wrong way for probably longer than they should have, the road back to where they want to be, is going to be longer than what it should be.

“You can’t change that, that’s what it is. You can’t run away, you can’t hide from it.

“You’ve got to own it and there’s going to be some tough days, but out of the adversity, you’re going to build something that is going to last.

“You want to build something that’s going to last not for one year, but forever.”

EYE FROM AFAR

From his home in Wanaka, New Zealand, Hansen watches every Bulldogs game live.

He will send a text message to Barrett after a game, or wait a few days, depending on the message he wants to drive home.

“They’ve had a rough start,’’ Hansen said.

“When you’re trying to change something and you’ve been struggling, the positive of having these tough games is they’re getting a true reflection of where they are against the best.

“That’s the reality. You can’t walk away from reality.

“Most of the teams they’ve played this year will most likely make the top eight and certainly the Panthers, Rabbitohs and Storm will be in the top four.”

LEAGUE OR UNION

Aside from his focus on helping fix the Dogs with Barrett, Hansen has previously interacted in league circles. He says he owes a debt of gratitude to Wayne Bennett, while admitting he has great respect for rugby league players.

“I like the game. It’s never been a game I haven’t liked,’’ Hansen said. “I think the principles of it are good, it takes a lot of character to play the game and it’s not an easy game to play.

“There’s been some great rugby league players that I’ve enjoyed watching.

“You can go back to Ray Price, Andrew Johns was an outstanding player, Brad Fittler and Trent Barrett was a good player himself.

“The other guy I’ve had a lot of time with in rugby league was Wayne Bennett.

More Coverage

Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Warring NRL, AFL bosses meet at races ‘Lowest point in my life’: Paulo breaks silence on darkest moment
“He helped me a lot when I first started coaching.

“I met him and Craig Bellamy at a coaching conference in Australia a while ago. We hit it off and enjoyed having chats with each other ever since.”

Last edited:

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t run. Don’t hide. Own it.
This is the Bulldogs way out of the NRL cellar, according to Steve Hansen, considered by many as the greatest All Blacks coach of all time.

In his only interview since being appointed as the high performance consultant for Canterbury last year, Hansen has revealed how he has been supplying the Bulldogs with the principles of the legendary All Blacks to turn the club around after years of failure.

In the wake of the Dogs’ 52-18 loss to the Melbourne Storm at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, Hansen also endorsed coach Trent Barrett as the man to lead the club out of the doldrums.

“Everybody in the Bulldogs would say they’re not where they want to be, but you can’t just snap your fingers and get there,’’ Hansen said.

“It’s not just a one-year thing — it’s about success for the rest of the club’s history.

“You’re trying to change something that hasn’t been working for a while now, going off results on the footy park.

“It’s about putting strategies in place, from the board to CEO, to coaching staff, be it in recruitment in players and staff.

“He’s got the patience, he’s got the work ethic and knowledge to implement what needs to happen.

“The only reason he wouldn’t be successful would be the fact that the alignment with management wouldn’t work and from what I can see they seem to be pretty aligned on where they want to go.”

ALL BLACKS TO BELMORE

Under Hansen‘s guidance, the All Blacks only lost 10 games in 108 matches, resulting in them being named World Rugby’s team of the year from 2012 to 2017.

He first met Barrett in 2019, when the young coach spent a week inside All Blacks camp, immersing himself in an attempt to upskill as an NRL mentor.

Their relationship led Barrett to asking Hansen to work in an overarching advisory role when he was appointed head coach of the Dogs last October.

From phone calls, text messages and Zoom chats over the past six months, Barrett and Hansen have spent every week this year working on the strategies required to pull Canterbury out of the bottom-four mire.

“With the All Blacks, it’s not about being happy where you are. It’s about trying to be better every day,’’ Hansen said.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re the Bulldogs or the All Blacks, the principle is the same.

“Not every day are you going to achieve that, but if you’re striving to, you’ve got a better chance to get to where you need to get to.

“He’s going through a tough time at the moment, so it’s about staying positive and making sure the processes are right.”

BELIEF

Without a victory this season, the Bulldogs are a team chasing wins — and with that, confidence. Hansen says he likes what he sees in one particular area that is crucial to the Dogs recovery mission.

“The (Canterbury) players believe in the process, they understand they’ve got things to do themselves and I think that’s part of an alignment.

“Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, who have allowed things to go the wrong way for probably longer than they should have, the road back to where they want to be, is going to be longer than what it should be.

“You can’t change that, that’s what it is. You can’t run away, you can’t hide from it.

“You’ve got to own it and there’s going to be some tough days, but out of the adversity, you’re going to build something that is going to last.

“You want to build something that’s going to last not for one year, but forever.”

EYE FROM AFAR

He will send a text message to Barrett after a game, or wait a few days, depending on the message he wants to drive home.

“When you’re trying to change something and you’ve been struggling, the positive of having these tough games is they’re getting a true reflection of where they are against the best.

“Most of the teams they’ve played this year will most likely make the top eight and certainly the Panthers, Rabbitohs and Storm will be in the top four.”

LEAGUE OR UNION

Aside from his focus on helping fix the Dogs with Barrett, Hansen has previously interacted in league circles. He says he owes a debt of gratitude to Wayne Bennett, while admitting he has great respect for rugby league players.

“I like the game. It’s never been a game I haven’t liked,’’ Hansen said. “I think the principles of it are good, it takes a lot of character to play the game and it’s not an easy game to play.

“You can go back to Ray Price, Andrew Johns was an outstanding player, Brad Fittler and Trent Barrett was a good player himself.

“I met him and Craig Bellamy at a coaching conference in Australia a while ago. We hit it off and enjoyed having chats with each other ever since.”

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I guess if anyone can help us out of this hole it's Hansen. But gee whiz it's looking pretty dire atm.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The performance today required some support from Hansen, the long term rebuild, the one vision ideology. FFS Dogs supporters expect a little bit more than what's been dished up. Record defeat score lines are always hard to cop. I would rather hear Hansen say, Hey Trent, Ive got some ideas for the front row. Or Trent I've got some ideas on how to teach the team to tackle or at least want to.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s hard to argue with what he says, I want results quickly - we all do, but we’re a way off where we need to be.

We’ve got a losing culture and it will take some time to get the confidence back to put that to bed.

Hope the platform is laid in the 2nd half of this year and then bring in some new quality signings and we’ll be on our way.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like this, and agree .. TBAZ will do a good job, he took this on knowing what he had to deal with and knowing it wasn’t going to be easy .. if he can do it, it will be a huge achievement for a young coach, big boost for his career..!!

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought it said from his home in Wanker land. This guy would have no concept of what we are up against. The All Blacks were at the top of the game before he got there. He didnt have to lift them from the shit hole we're in. Making our guys load their own bus or sweep their dressing room would only make them feel useful, not improve their football.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought it said from his home in Wanker land. This guy would have no concept of what we are up against. The All Blacks were at the top of the game before he got there. He didnt have to lift them from the shit hole we're in. Making our guys load their own bus or sweep their dressing room would only make them feel useful, not improve their football.
I think this is true

the all blacks have always been the best union team from what I know of the shit sport union is

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defence is about attitude, Unfortunately you can't teach attitude you either have/bring it or you don't!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep been saying it for a while zoom, whatsapp or whateverotherfuckenvideochatapp, texting him "ahh the boys missed a few too many tackles today Baz, chin up rework the drills yeh, text you again in 8 to 10 days, Love Steve "
All that spin NO LONGER CUTS IT...pack your bags and your warm clothes and spend some time here Cuz..i.e at least a month if not a couple, dependent on team performance.
Also have said surely he must by now have identified positional deficiencies too and does he have any players in mind??

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

ALL BLACKS TO BELMORE

BELIEF

EYE FROM AFAR

LEAGUE OR UNION

What get me angry is that last year without the Luxury of An attacking coach, a defense coach, conditioning coach, and a motivational coach, and just with the average roster that we had, we could have made the eight if we had just won a few more of our many CLOSE games under our normal coach & then our caretaker coach. now so far we are being thrashed in every game. figure that one out?
this Jobs for the boys business is not impressing Baz.!!!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What get me angry is that last year without the Luxury of An attacking coach, a defense coach, conditioning coach, and a motivational coach, and just with the average roster that we had, we could have made the eight if we had just won a few more of our many CLOSE games under our normal coach & then our caretaker coach. now so far we are being thrashed in every game. figure that one out?
this Jobs for the boys business is not impressing Baz.!!!
I think you meant 2019 coz last year we were shit.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think you meant 2019 coz last year we were shit.
People seem to be glossing over our team's efforts from last year.

None of the bottom teams were as bad as us last year other than Broncs who seemed to fall to pieces when the comp re-started.

We finished equal last other than points for/against.

If you look thru the tesults of all teams in every round last year, its eye opening how much difference there is in the ratio of close games to blow outs.

Last year there were not as many blowouts.

This year its every round and at least 70% of the games so far.

I get the impression that if Coach Pays 2020 team was playing this year, the points differential could be worse, at best marginal.

Every single bottom team is struggling this year. Its not just us. The 6 again for near every indiscretion...markers square, ptb, offside, hand on ball, holding on, not rolling away, gives momentum and energy to the team with the ball and they keep the ball. They can manipulate the ref, teams are wrestling "with" the ball now and sucking in defence...cowbell tactics we haven't learnt as yet due to a dumb footy roster.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score

ALL BLACKS TO BELMORE

BELIEF

EYE FROM AFAR

LEAGUE OR UNION

Regardless on how history will look back on Barrett's tenure at the Bulldogs, I can confidently say now he is a thousand times better than that hoax Dean Pay. Even if we don't win, the professionalism and the way he has built a coaching team around him show he has the skills.