Alice Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few of you Kennelers seem to be into "shock-glam-heavy-hard" rock music, so I thought I would post my thoughts on the Alice Cooper concert that I attended on Friday (24/6/05) at the Enmore Theatre. For those who don't know, Alice Cooper essentially "laid the platform" for music artists like Iron Maiden, Mariyn Manson, Kiss, Black Sabbath etc.

It was a bit different to other concerts I have attended, as I'm more into "normal" rock, disco and R+B music rather than the likes of heavy rock and rap (although I like to listen to a bit of heavy rock and rap from time to time - after all, its always good to get a bit of variety in the music one listens to).

I was a bit surprised to see a fair pecentage of people in their 20s and late teens there (and chatting with a couple of them before the concert it turned out that they knew FAR more about the likes of Kiss, Alice Cooper, Jimi Hendrix etc than what I do!).

I noticed a lot of people were wearing T-shirts featuring the likes of Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper (as was to be expected!), Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Kiss etc and that EVERY one of these T-Shirts were predominantly BLACK in colour! Also a handful of young (and not so young) men were dressed up like Alice Cooper, which added to the atmosphere. A couple of people I spoke to had travelled long distances to attend.

Anyway, started off with Billy Thorpe (a reasonable support act - best known for his song Most People I Know) starting off the show. After a short break Alice Cooper came on. The volume was louder than what I am used to at concerts (but tolerable). Alice (or should I say Vincent Furnier!) sang one song after another without any real break between songs. He gave a very professional performance, as one would expect from someone of his age (he would be in his mid 50s now) who has been doing this stuff for a long time. He gave a good rendition of his classics (Poison, Department of Youth, Schools Out, Only Women Bleed etc). I felt young again listening to Schools Out and Department of Youth - I loved those songs during my teenage years when I was at school!

Nonetheless, I had a couple of minor gripes. I found it a bit irritating (considering I had paid $130 for a ticket) that I had to stand throughout the concert to be able to see him on stage (I've never been to a heavy rock concert before, so I presume that everyone standing is par for the course - at any rate nobody complained about it so I just went with the flow). I was disappointed that I did not get to hear my favourite Alice Cooper song You and Me. I guess that because it is a more an R&B type song than his characteristic heavy rock he decided not to play it (it seemed to me the audience essentially wanted to hear heavy rock, so I can't blame him for wanting to "appease the masses" and stick solely to "heavy rock"). He went for about 1.5 hours, a reasonable length (although I'm more used to 2-2.5 hour performances from the likes of Elton John and Neil Diamond etc).

Even though heavy rock is "not my preferred cup of tea", overall I enjoyed the experience and I can "vouch" for Alice Cooper.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i know i have seen him on VH1 as the one hit wonder...

MzBulldog83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
your poison runnin thru my veins your poisonnnnnn

that song was the song back in the 80's eh?

whatta song

H

Hazmak

Dude...Black Sabbath was a 50's band.

Black Sab laid the platform for EVERYONE

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mr BuLLdOgS said:
PS into rap?
I wouldn't go as far to say that I am "into" rap. However, I acknowledge that there have been a few good (and a lot of bad!) rap songs over the years!

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MzBulldog83 said:
your poison runnin thru my veins your poisonnnnnn

that song was the song back in the 80's eh?

whatta song
Only just an 80s song! 1989 I believe!

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
hazmak said:
Dude...Black Sabbath was a 50's band.

Black Sab laid the platform for EVERYONE
Hmm, 50s band? I don't think so! However they have been around for longer than I thought - since around 1970 (somewhat to my surprise) - with Ozzy Ozbourne one of their early members!

Mr Bulldogs

Kennel Legend
Administrator
Reaction score
PS when u say rap. and that u have acknowledged a few good rap songs.

can u name a few?

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mr BuLLdOgS said:
PS when u say rap. and that u have acknowledged a few good rap songs.

can u name a few?
Off the top of my head some good rap songs are:
Gangstas Paradise by Coolio and the Gang
Homies by Insane Clown Posse
Nasty Girl by Nitty

Having said that, what constitutes rap music these days depends on one's definitition of "rap"! For example, I've heard Nitty described as Rap by one music reviewer, but another music reviewer described him as "hip-hop and NOT rap"!

Last edited by a moderator:

Helena_K

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Isn't Stairway to heaven ane of Alice Coopers songs. I've heard if you play it backwards he talks satanic stufff. Sorry but I can't stand performers who allign or make themselves out to be with the devil etc!!! (ie M.Manson & Ozbourne)

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Helena_K said:
Isn't Stairway to heaven ane of Alice Coopers songs. I've heard if you play it backwards he talks satanic stufff. Sorry but I can't stand performers who allign or make themselves out to be with the devil etc!!! (ie M.Manson & Ozbourne)
Stairway to Heaven is a Led Zeppelin song. A long time ago a couple of Christian friends told me about satanic stuff appearing when lyrics of certain songs are played backwards, but I can't recall if Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven was one of these songs.

Like you (but probably for different reasons), I don't like Ozzy Ozbourne and Marilyn Manson either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.