News Aidan Sezer plans NRL return at Bulldogs in 2022

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aidan Sezer is poised to make a shock return to the NRL with the former Canberra star eyeing off a homecoming after two seasons in the Super League.
In a move that will see him go head to head with Shaun Johnson, Anthony Milford and Corey Norman, the player who took the Raiders to the grand final in 2019 will join the NRL open market next week.

News Corp Australia can reveal at least two NRL club have already expressed an unofficial interest in Sezer, who has starred for the Huddersfield Giants since leaving the NRL in 2019.

Also a former Titan, Sezer has instructed his manager to negotiate with NRL clubs in a move that will make him the playmaking wildcard on the open market.

With his junior club the Bulldogs in the market for a No. 7, Sezer may get the chance to full fill his childhood dream of playing NRL for Canterbury.

The Bulldogs were this week linked to Shaun Johnson but Sezer’s shock availability may force them to rethink their interest in the unwanted Cronulla star.

Aidan Sezer guided the Raiders to a grand final but isnot expected to return to Canberra. Picture: Tracey Nearmy/Getty Images

Aidan Sezer guided the Raiders to a grand final but isnot expected to return to Canberra. Picture: Tracey Nearmy/Getty Images

Sezer has always been considered the one that got away by Bulldogs fans and has publicly expressed a desire to one day return to Belmore.

The East Hills junior made his debut for the Titans in 2012 and played 177 NRL games before switching to the Super League after the Raiders bitter grand final defeat to Melbourne in 2019.

The No. 7, who helped steer Canberra into the grand final, recently opened up about the reason he left both the club and the NRL while in his prime.

“It wasn‘t to be, was it?” Sezer said.

“I think there’s a lot of things that went on in my time in Canberra.

“I sought a move away and obviously said to my agent that I needed a move to refresh my career because there was a time there I didn’t want to play there.

“I wasn’t enjoying it. I wasn’t getting the satisfaction I once did from rugby league.”

Sezer has scored 140 points in his 22 games for Huddersfield.

Aidan Sezer has impressed in his time at Huddersfield Giants but is eyeing a return back to Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Aidan Sezer has impressed in his time at Huddersfield Giants but is eyeing a return back to Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's friends with Cotric so I'd say he'd be pushing for a return. However I see no upside in bringing him back and not trying to develop Flanagan... if Sezer is a one year option with Flanno in reserves until he gets to 90kg and learns how to take the line on.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's friends with Cotric so I'd say he'd be pushing for a return. However I see no upside in bringing him back and not trying to develop Flanagan... if Sezer is a one year option with Flanno in reserves until he gets to 90kg and learns how to take the line on.
I don't think Flanagan is ever going to get to the point where he is taking the line on regularly enough to be a threat and ease the pressure on himself.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sezer is a solid player but he's the definition of a band-aid solution and he's not much of an upgrade. I'd rather persist with Averillo next to Burton.

Hopefully this is more media bullshit just linking us to every player in the NRL and now even the ESL.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think Flanagan is ever going to get to the point where he is taking the line on regularly enough to be a threat and ease the pressure on himself.
Maybe your right, I think the rule changes hurt him... Watching him in reserves he always liked to play slow and wait for the defender to take the wrong option, now that luxury isn't there as much when he's getting rushed on the back of a shit forward pack... I really just wish we kept Cogger as he was always willing to engage the line and draw defenders

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Suspected injury prone 30 yo SJ or cheaper CB 29 yo junior?

Face value AS a better fit (steady organiser in the Blake Green mould) with Burto?

Price be a big factor.

We are running out of forwards money.

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would take Sezer over SJ, but halves is still not the position we need to recruit.
Whoever is in the 7 playing behind the powder puff pack will look like trash.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we compared the title of that article to the actual content of the article it's like the title is based at the south pole while the content is based at the North pole.

Title = Sezer returning to Bulldogs.
Content = Sezer looking for a new club with no indication of who he wants to play for.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd like us to sign another half on a max 2 year deal, not sure who I prefer. Not the end of the world if Averillo has to play reserves, centre or off the bench for a season or so, he's still very young. Just as long as we don't release him...