AFL Adelaide Crows Coach Phil Walsh murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh murdered, son detained by police, wife in hospital

THE son of Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh has been charged with his father’s murder after a domestic dispute in the early hours of this morning.

Walsh, 55, was found dead in his Somerton Park home by police at about 2am on Friday with multiple stab wounds. A knife was found at the scene.

The 26-year-old was arrested at a friend’s home in Glenelg East, and has since been charged. Walsh’s wife is in hospital with non life-threatening injuries, reportedly to her leg.

The Adelaide Football Club released a statement, saying it was “devastated” by the news. The club will hold a media conference later today.

It is not yet clear how the tragic events will affect the upcoming weekend of footy but it seems highly unlikely Crows players will take to the field, while there have been calls to postpone the entire round.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said the entire industry was grieving at the loss.

“We send our love & support to the Walsh family, the Crows staff & players, Phil’s wider circle of friends,” he said. “Phil Walsh was a man of boundless energy and enthusiasm, and his death is a tragic loss.”

Adelaide Police Superintendent Des Bray described the events this morning as “terrible” and “tragic”.

“Ambulance crews immediately rendered first aid and tried to resuscitate (Phil Walsh) but unfortunately he died shortly (after the attack),” Supt Bray said. “His wife also suffered a wound. Police were able to establish that at around about 2 o’clock, the son of the family had attended (the house).

“There’d been an argument — I can’t tell you anything (about the) argument or the circumstances — but as a result of that, both Mr Walsh and his wife received the wounds. As I understand the son ordinarily lives there. Somebody from the house has called triple zero.”

In an interview with the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson in April, Walsh said his focus on his career had impacted on his family life. He had been a player and coach for more than 33 years.

“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy,” he said. “I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done.”

AFL football circles are in deep shock in the wake of the news.

Nathan Brown, former Richmond player and Nine Network commentator, said the death was shocking and would impact many AFL clubs. “I’m shocked,” Brown told the Nine Network. “At the moment beside myself that a lot of players are going to wake up today and be on their way to training and find out this news. He played for Collingwood, he played for Brisbane. He’s been at West Coast, he’s been at half the AFL clubs. This is going to touch so many people.”

Walsh was also a highly respected player who played 122 top-level games for Collingwood, Richmond and Brisbane.

Walsh had led the Crows to a 7-5 record this season after making the switch from cross-town rival Port Adelaide, where he served as an assistant in 2014 after returning to South Australia.

Walsh, from country Victoria, played 122 games in the AFL for Collingwood, Richmond and Brisbane, mostly as a wingman.

His first coaching job was in strength and conditioning at Geelong, before he moved to Port Adelaide as an assistant in 1999 and was Mark Williams’ right hand man as the Power claimed its maiden AFL premiership in 2004.

In 2009 he moved to West Coast as an assistant under John Worsfold before moving back to Adelaide to rejoin the Power last year.

Veteran Adelaide AFL journalist Michelangelo Rucci told 5AA he was in disbelief after hearing the news. “I’m speechless, bewildered ... A person that so many of us knew so well, I just can’t understand how this can happen,” Rucci said. “People who knew Phil Walsh will be waking up today in just absolute disbelief, just staggered, that has happened. This is an extraordinary bit of news.”

When asked how the Crows will deal with the situation, Rucci said: “No one’s ever faced a situation like this. This is without precedent. There are going to be so many people who have to be counselled. So many people who will have to lead while dealing with this tragedy. It is bewildering to think just how this has happened. There are many things that will have to play out over the next 24 hours in football.”

PHIL WALSH’S CAREER

- 1983: Made VFL debut with Collingwood, played 22 games
- 1984: Moved to Richmond, playing 40 games over three seasons
- 1987: Moved to Brisbane Bears, playing 60 games over four seasons
- 1995-98: Strength and conditioning coach at Geelong
- 1999-2008: Midfield assistant coach at Port Adelaide
- 2004: AFL Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year
- 2009-2013: Strategy & innovation coach at West Coast
- 2014: Midfield manager at Port Adelaide
- 2015: Senior coach at Adelaide

There you dogsdayout fixed it for you mate.

R.I.P Phil Walsh sometimes it seems the apple does fall further from the tree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just unbelievable.. R.I.P.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What is going on with the world today ,your own son takes your life

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I heard the news I said to my brother I bet you he's on Ice.
Same, I said the same to my work mate.

Whatever the reasons, it is a terrible thing to happen to any family. My thoughts are with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.