ADSL Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out...i'm with Telstra ADSL and over the past week my computer keeps recognising the connection to Telstra and a few seconds the little Speed Touch software says that it cant find the connection. Even when it says it finds the connection and turns green I cant use the internet for some reason.

I dont know whats going on....i've tried restarting my PC and my modem but nothing seems to work.

I've noticed that if the PC is left turned on for a while the problem seems to go away and it eventually keeps a constant connection and I can use the net. It seems to be when I turn the computer on when its been off that the problem happens.

DVSBASTARD HELP!! :(

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
Telstra ADSL is the problem IMO

not having a go there either...

we have telstra adsl at our work internet and email always goes down, email filter is crap

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
ffs its really getting annoying :(

its like every 10 seconds it says there is a connection then it says there isn't. But even when it says there is a connection and the software icon turns green, internet pages still dont load etc.

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't be much help on this one seeing as you have already tried all the basics. The problem seems a little random, so my only advice is to call up telstra and tell them of the problem. They will run through a few isolation tests (asking you to reboot, restart, remove any other phones connected to the line, remove any extension cords, etc).

Unless you have made any changes to your connections (added a new phone, stepped on your line filter, etc) then the most likely cause of the problem is with the physical line to your house. The recent heavy rain falls may of contributed to the problem too. Telstra can check this remotely and if it is the case then they will lodge a line fault and then it is a waiting game from there.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wolfpac said:
Telstra ADSL is the problem IMO

not having a go there either...

we have telstra adsl at our work internet and email always goes down, email filter is crap
Same, i have to RESET our Router every morning, cause it always goes down as some stage during the night

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
dvsbastard said:
I can't be much help on this one seeing as you have already tried all the basics. The problem seems a little random, so my only advice is to call up telstra and tell them of the problem. They will run through a few isolation tests (asking you to reboot, restart, remove any other phones connected to the line, remove any extension cords, etc).

Unless you have made any changes to your connections (added a new phone, stepped on your line filter, etc) then the most likely cause of the problem is with the physical line to your house. The recent heavy rain falls may of contributed to the problem too. Telstra can check this remotely and if it is the case then they will lodge a line fault and then it is a waiting game from there.
I had a Telephone line problem that i had to wait 4 weeks for someone to come out and have a look at it, turns out there was interference from the Phoneline that is plugged into our Foxtel, i unplugged it and Bingo.
Phonelines perfect again!!

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
so are you saying that the line from your foxtel to the phone outlet is now unplugged?

Also did you have a line filter on that connection?

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MattyB said:
I had a Telephone line problem that i had to wait 4 weeks for someone to come out and have a look at it, turns out there was interference from the Phoneline that is plugged into our Foxtel, i unplugged it and Bingo.
Phonelines perfect again!!
That's why you need to do some isolation testing before waiting for a telstra tech to come out! Otherwise you end up waiting for nothing... Line faults aren't always from your outlet to the exchange (where it is compltely out of your hands)!

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Telstra tested it and said yeahok, there is a problem with your line but we dont know what, we'll send someone to look at it.

He climbed up the pole, changed a few things and left, BUT still the Line was no good, turns out the Phone line that was plugged into the Foxtel box was causing some interference.
I thought the Foxtel would not work any more, but all it is used for is ordering movies n stuff, so ill never need it

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
you need to have an line filter on every phone connection in your house, fax, foxtel etc.

Also, your fotel will still work, but what happens is when you order up movies etc it sends it to your foxtel card which cant send the info back to foxtel HO. Once that card hits $200 worth of movies etc you wont be able to order any more until you plug the line back in so it can dial up foxtel. Then on your next bill you will recieve and extra $200 worth of charges (trust me with this I had to go through once before)

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
if all else fails...

give telstra the flick and hook up with iiNet...
I'm with them now and they fkn ROCK!!!!

ADSL 2+ speeds and flyinggggggggggggggggggggggggg :D

Sir

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have Telstra ADSL (plan finishes this month) asn it has been nothing but crap for 2 years now. Always have problems with it, be it anything from their so called "512Kbps" downstream to just the fact that it always has connection errors.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nexus said:
you need to have an line filter on every phone connection in your house, fax, foxtel etc.

Also, your fotel will still work, but what happens is when you order up movies etc it sends it to your foxtel card which cant send the info back to foxtel HO. Once that card hits $200 worth of movies etc you wont be able to order any more until you plug the line back in so it can dial up foxtel. Then on your next bill you will recieve and extra $200 worth of charges (trust me with this I had to go through once before)
I tried but it didnt work,.i wants to watch a movie but i wasnt able to order it.
Must be coz i have sat not cable

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Soulja said:
if all else fails...

I have Optus Cable, is it quicker than Cable??

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
MattyB said:
I have Optus Cable, is it quicker than Cable??
oh no way... i've had Optus Cable before, and it whips over any ADSL out there...

but in the ADSL league, i'd put iiNet up there at No.1

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
Stevie. Your modem is rooted. Ring Telstra and make them give you a new one.

aVerage

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Soulja said:
if all else fails...

iinet are the bomb!

nikki_luvs_yaz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
happens to me ALL the time....when im on it will suddenly sign off without warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.