Ads In the Middle of Posts

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are potentially looking at upgrading to the latest Xenforo version (to see if this resolves this issue and others), but there's a lot to consider when making such a massive change.
We would be going up 2 major version releases and having to upgrade the entire site database, templates, everything. Tis a big job.
We also need to ensure the site functionality is not impeded (we have quite a few add-ons running), by reduction in feature set if upgrading.

This issue ONLY impacts mobile browsers it appears. My guess is due to template issues, and non mobile compatible ads.

Not sure if that's resolved using The Kennel App or Tapatalk (as I've never used either).

This is one for the site adminsitrators ( @Nash and @habs ). @Nash has been contacted as he looks after all the programming on the site.

Not sure how much revenuse the ads generate in all honesty. If it was me and the ad revenue was slim to none, I'd just remove them completely.

Yeah the box / thread box down bottom of page is an interesting one. Well aware of that one.
You should definitely be preparing to do the upgrade, as eventually the older versions are discontinued and no longer supported - then the upgrade is done automatically and you don't have the luxury of testing and preparing for it.

Depending on your host you should be able to make the upgrades in a staging environment and test out all your plugins and compatibility.

If you need help or advice with it please feel free to DM me

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Screenshot_2019-04-09-18-32-38-46.png
Screenshot_2019-04-09-18-32-44-86.png
I keep getting rashays 100% waygu beef steak.. Which I've been ignoring but it started popping up within posts of the vegan thread.. Poor taste

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You should definitely be preparing to do the upgrade, as eventually the older versions are discontinued and no longer supported - then the upgrade is done automatically and you don't have the luxury of testing and preparing for it.

Depending on your host you should be able to make the upgrades in a staging environment and test out all your plugins and compatibility.

If you need help or advice with it please feel free to DM me
@DublinDogg Cheers for the information. Xenforo carries a pretty long period before the EOL versions. As we are on 1.x, we are not force upgraded, and it means we need to update the database to the new format, as well as all templates (as this is a custom template).

We had a test site up a while ago, but that was for testing functionality of v2.0. Now they've released a major update in v2.1 (which apparently is a game changer).

Have you had much experience / programmed for Xenforo at all?

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
@DublinDogg Cheers for the information. Xenforo carries a pretty long period before the EOL versions. As we are on 1.x, we are not force upgraded, and it means we need to update the database to the new format, as well as all templates (as this is a custom template).

We had a test site up a while ago, but that was for testing functionality of v2.0. Now they've released a major update in v2.1 (which apparently is a game changer).

Have you had much experience / programmed for Xenforo at all?
As long as you keep an eye on the EOL dates :grinning: I have seen sites get into an absolute mess when people don't plan for it and it creeps up on them.

Not Xenforo specifically, but I have been involved with plenty of php and theme developments. From both dev and design perspective. Always available for advice/opinion etc.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As long as you keep an eye on the EOL dates :grinning: I have seen sites get into an absolute mess when people don't plan for it and it creeps up on them.

Not Xenforo specifically, but I have been involved with plenty of php and theme developments. From both dev and design perspective. Always available for advice/opinion etc.
Ahh PHP is a whole different kettle of fish (in particular when it comes to EOL and version rollover). Even better when the managed server you use auto rolls over versions and breaks shit on you.

Xen is pretty highly customised and controlled in that manner.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ahh PHP is a whole different kettle of fish (in particular when it comes to EOL and version rollover). Even better when the managed server you use auto rolls over versions and breaks shit on you.

Xen is pretty highly customised and controlled in that manner.
Ok this shit is getting out of control. Here I am on what's meant to be a "family friendly" site, and a I get an ad for an ADULT comic. WTF is going on?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok this shit is getting out of control. Here I am on what's meant to be a "family friendly" site, and a I get an ad for an ADULT comic. WTF is going on?
The one that says "crush" with the Asian chick with the rack that no Asian chick has because Asian chicks aren't know for Tig ol bitties?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The one that says "crush" with the Asian chick with the rack that no Asian chick has because Asian chicks aren't know for Tig ol bitties?
Is she Asian? But yeah that's the one. It's an adult cartoon getting advertised on a family-friendly forum. It doesn't make sense.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is she Asian? But yeah that's the one. It's an adult cartoon getting advertised on a family-friendly forum. It doesn't make sense.
This one?

Screenshot_20190411-103539_Chrome.jpg

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you see that one hit the "i" or "x" and report it as inappropriate.

We have little control over the ads aside from the ad catagories shown. Sometimes ads like that slip through and you need to report them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm getting this ad on the website. They obviously don't have access to my bank accounts...

but all I need is a 10% deposit.

Mclaren.png

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I also got some pop-up ads when going from one page of a thread to the next over the last two days.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I use the app no ads biyatches