News Addo-Carr explains Dogs move as he admits a Smith Storm return ‘wouldn’t surprise’ him

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Josh Addo-Carr has revealed why he chose the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs over the Wests Tigers, while admitting he wouldn’t be surprised if Cameron Smith returned to the Storm late in the pre season.

Addo-Carr will play his final year for the Storm after seeking a release due to personal reasons, spoke to media on Thursday for the first time since he agreed a switch to Canterbury.

The Bulldogs and Tigers had both held talks with the winger, but it was Canterbury who won the race for his signature securing his services on a four-year deal from the start of 2022.

Asked if he was going to ask for an early release now his long-term future was resolved Addo-Carr said: “I’m just glad it’s settled. I would have liked to have gone home a bit earlier, but being away in Twin Waters refreshed my mind a bit.

“It is what it is. I like coming to training and being around the boys and the coaching staff so that’ll get me through.”

Addo-Carr also revealed what made the move to Canterbury so enticing.

The last few years have been lean at Belmore and with an offer from the Tigers on the table, Addo-Carr was close to heading to Concord.

However, he revealed that the work new Canterbury coach Trent Barrett did as an assistant at Penrith helped sway him towards the Bulldogs, saying: “I spoke to Trent a couple of times on the phone, and obviously Panthers had a really successful year. That got me over the line and I’m super excited my future is settled and I’m focused on things at the Storm.

“The number one goal is to lift that trophy again. That’s why we are doing the pre-season – to set the year up.”

While Addo-Carr’s future is resolved, the same can’t be said for Cameron Smith.

The Storm captain has not returned to training since the grand final win, adding to conjecture that he will either retire or sign with the Gold Coast Titans.

But Addo-Carr said it wouldn’t surprise him to see the veteran No. 9 return to training as the season start date draws into focus.

”In my first year he had a two week pre season,” Addo-Carr added.

“It wouldn’t surprise me (if Smith came back). As everyone knows he’s the best to ever do it.

“Whatever he decides to do I’ll be happy for him.”

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Heaps of praise and credit being paid to Trent over last year, hopefully he lives up to it, he would be under a fair bit of pressure.

With Addo Carr it's a huge endorsement of our club with him coming.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heaps of praise and credit being paid to Trent over last year, hopefully he lives up to it, he would be under a fair bit of pressure.

Mate to be honest he has already gone a fair way to justifying him getting the job given the amount of recruits he has been able to convince to come on board.

I dont think one player ever signed with the dogs to play under Dean Pay. And to be honest not many signed to play under Hasler. Recruits in recent times have come purely because of the money.

Its nice to have a coach who can attract players. Yes he needs to prove his worth in the form of results but a big part of a coach's job is to able to convince players to either come to to the club or re-sign with the club. Baz is smashing that part of the job at the moment.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What freak Smith is. 2 week pre-season then typically goes onto win EVERYTHING in 2017
Do professional players really need 3 months of off season training?
It is a good discussion to have actually...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say that Maguire didn't make the right decision by walking away, he would have suffered the Cap issues same as Pay. Barrett is arriving at the right time, hardly a fair comparison.

Go Dogs
Maguire avoided the cap hell that Pay was forced to endure and so, if he wanted to avoid the short term pain, he made the right call... but he also missed out on the blank slate that Barrett is now enjoying... and all of that to coach the Tigers to non-finals football

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven’t been able to help but think he really wasn’t all that keen to come here this is great news

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes it’s like Trent this and Trent that,so much pressure on the guy,While I’m confident he will do a good job,I will reserve my judgement till season’s end

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Manly players (not Hastings) loved him, this isn't some new development lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shows the difference a coach can make just to recruitment. No one came for Dean Pay. Everyone is coming for Trent Barrett.
Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I didn't think the difference with Pay and Barrett would be this significant. If Pay was still here we wouldn't have JAC or Burton on the books (and you could probably list more) and if we did it wouldn't be for the price we've got them for.